Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Frozen Boost Heat Exchanger

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:11 AM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Topgunz
In bold. What is the air to water subject to? Not Air? What is cooling your water?....yes, the same air that cools air to air. Except your tiny aftercooler is sitting inside of an oven at 200*F just baking away.
I'd be interested in more details for the kit. Looking to supercharge or turbo late next year, so doing my research and planning out end goals currently. Additional details would be nice :-).
Old 01-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Topgunz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gavingw
I'd be interested in more details for the kit. Looking to supercharge or turbo late next year, so doing my research and planning out end goals currently. Additional details would be nice :-).
Topgunz - air to air upgrade - Nissan 370Z Forum

Here you go. First page sums it up pretty much but the rest of the thread proves it out with many satisfied customers.
The following users liked this post:
gavingw (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 02:20 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Topgunz
In bold. What is the air to water subject to? Not Air? What is cooling your water?....yes, the same air that cools air to air. Except your tiny aftercooler is sitting inside of an oven at 200*F just baking away.
OK... looks like you didn't read the first article so here is a quote from a second. "Comparing air and water, air has vastly lower heat capacity per gram and per volume (4000) and less than a tenth the conductivity, but also much lower viscosity (about 200 times lower: 17.4 × 10−6 Pa·s for air vs 8.94 × 10−4 Pa·s for water). Continuing the calculation from two paragraphs above, air cooling needs ten times of the surface area, therefore the fins, and air needs 2000 times the flow velocity..." Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...engine_cooling
The point is that water is much more effective than air for cooling. Additionally, for a short run / race you can use ice or chemicals to drastically drop coolant temperature to well below ambient air temp.
As I said before, this debate is ongoing. More power can be generated (as you have demonstrated) with significant mods (upgraded fuel system, pulleys, impellers, cog belts), but if you were to compare apples to apples... Stillen kit parts and only change W2A to A2A, that would be something that would get my attention. BTW... how is your driveline holding up? I broke an axle last year with 443HP/323TQ. At a certain point you reach the limits of the car. If you heavily modify the car it becomes less reliable and you might as well bite the bullet and get a GT-R.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by goredcar
OK... looks like you didn't read the first article so here is a quote from a second. "Comparing air and water, air has vastly lower heat capacity per gram and per volume (4000) and less than a tenth the conductivity, but also much lower viscosity (about 200 times lower: 17.4 × 10−6 Pa·s for air vs 8.94 × 10−4 Pa·s for water). Continuing the calculation from two paragraphs above, air cooling needs ten times of the surface area, therefore the fins, and air needs 2000 times the flow velocity....

Not to start an argument, but you can't just compare specific heat capacities of two different media being used in 2 different applications and compare them. There are so many variables that change between the two systems that you would have to have a very complex analysis to determine the difference between the two. It is true that if you replace the water in the Stillen cooler with air that it would perform worse. The problem with your comparison comes because not only does an intercooler have MUCH more surface to work with, the velocity of air is faster in a front mounted intercooler, and the temperature difference between intake air and ambient is greater, all leading to better heat extraction. This is not even to mention that the vehicle has no clue what the intake temp is, to be most reliable you would have to put a probe into the lower plenum after the Stillen cooler to get a good temperature reading.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 PM
Topgunz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is the first axle I have heard of breaking and the boys over on 370z are making over 600whp 500wtq daily and most are throwing on DRs and running it down the strip. To break one of these with 340tq and street tires points in the direction of a complete anommaly.

In regards to the Adam Sandler like "Water is betta" argument. Yes, in the perfect application it can be. In this application it is,well,far from it. Think of all the air blowing out of your exhaust at 7500rpms. Now, ALL of that air has to come into the motor also and all that air has to pass through.... THIS....Laughable at best. Yes you can have a proper water setup to cool 10+ psi very well...but guys, this aint it. It is the reason we have seen motors let go at anything more than the 8psi pulley. It just comes in WAY to hot. I dont care how big of a front mount you put on this thing. Once it heat soaks its game over.

Name:  20150620_103145_zpsayftjgdk.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  129.1 KB

Last edited by Topgunz; 01-24-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:28 PM
Jake Stone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Link

Originally Posted by goredcar
Actually I'm made 443WHP on a very tough dyno where I made 286 with full bolt on's NA. I didn't have my car dyno'd after the FB upgrade. Dyno numbers are totally arbitrary and based on the individual measuring instrument. I have never heard of over 500 on a Stillen kit. Even approaching 500 requires significant modification to the kit.

Seeing as how you already know everything you would know that cooling does not create power, but simply allows continual power to be developed on repeated runs without heat soak. Power developed is a function of forced induction, fuel system, and airflow.
Can someone send me a link to get that exchanger? My kit will be shipped April 15th and want to get it all done from the start, thanks