D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Fix Windshield Cowl Popping Noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Gysper
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,

Just wanted to let you guys know that I attempted this and the process was pretty smooth. Unfortunately, after driving the car back on the highway, I noticed a higher than usual wind noise coming from the front. I'm not sure what caused it to enhance so I decided to revert everything back to normal and I could still hear the noise.

The one thing I wanted to add was that I had to remove an extra clip on the cowl at the very far end and I noticed that 1 clip was actually missing on the other side. To add to insult, some of the clips didn't feel secure. I'll update this post as soon as possible but maybe another thing to add is that the clips could be worn and replacing them with stronger and less fragile ones can secure it easier. I just ordered a stack of 100 of these on Amazon for about $5 and hopefully, it'll latch the cowl easier to the car.

One thing I love/hate about the car is that after hitting the 55k mark, I've been hearing lots fo squeaks and rattles. I went to the dealer and asked if it was covered under warranty and the answer was no, squeaks and rattles are only covered for the first 1 year/12,000 miles but that just means it'll take dedication to find out where everything is.

Update: So I decided to order one of these off ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Feet-Rubb...d3d7adf16c2380

Here are the clips I was talking about:
Amazon Amazon

Along with some new retainer clips, hopefully, this will make it feel more secure. Bear in mind the rubber is more expensive than the adhesive felt but it'll probably provide better protection in snow/wet weather.

Update #1: I took into the dealer and had them check for any leaks and for noise caused by the wheel bushings. Everything seemed fine so I guess all I can say is that the windshield cowl was secure enough when they placed it back with the felt applied underneath the cowl.

The coolest part was that I was given a 2019 Q60 as a loaner, so I was excited to test-drive this and on the highway, I could also hear some wind noise but not the whistling that sounds like its sweeping though. So maybe all cars are like this. But the Q60 looks like it has an improved cowl design to where the gap is sealed with a wedge which the G37 lacks.

Overall, my advice if it's just is the check the plastic clips to make sure they are all secure (total of 8 pieces, I was missing one initially) and that sticking the felt underneath the cowl versus the windshield would make it easier to take it off the next time.

Last edited by Gysper; 09-23-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Adding a few notes after dealer visit
Old 10-19-2021, 10:55 PM
rs98
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did this DIY and it seems to have worked. For the passenger side wiper, I didn't actually remove it and instead just wiggled the felt underneath the cowl with the limited clearance
Old 10-20-2021, 10:13 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Haha, I've returned to the Infiniti club with a QX70 last month and now I get a notification for a thread I once posted in 8 years and a couple of cars ago. Hopefully this issue doesn't effect the QX70...