TPMS went off

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
TPMS went off

I got these used runflats back in October. This month I had the alignment done and the place said it had a radial pull. Yesterday the tire looked low, so I took it to costco, who actually lowered it to 37lbs from 38lbs. Today it is 38f and the tpms went off. I am going to go to Costco at lunch to have the pressure checked.

Will the tpms warning go out by itself, or do I need to do anything to get rid of the warning?

Does the system tell you what are the pressures on each tire?

Thank you
Old 02-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
I'd invest a few dollars in a tire gauge. Having to go to a shop to have the pressure checked is a little much.

I think the TPMS triggers the warning around 28lbs. To clear the warning, simply drive the car with the correct tire pressure.

Unfortunately, the system does not tell you the actual pressure, nor does it tell you which tire is low.
The following users liked this post:
ezbme (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:07 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Is there one in the spare? My mechanic is telling me that it could be a failing battery or a tpms sensor in the spare. Apparently some cars have that.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Get yourself a good quality pressure gauge, for like $20 on Amazon. Then invest in a simple, electric air compressor, for anywhere from $40 to $100. Do these two simple, inexpensive things, and you will forever take control of these issues.

Sadly, the G does not tell you the air pressure, like it so easily could if Nissan were so inclined. Nor does it tell you which TPMS is triggering the fault light... again, like it so easily could have. Oh well.
The following users liked this post:
ezbme (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by ezbme
Is there one in the spare? My mechanic is telling me that it could be a failing battery or a tpms sensor in the spare. Apparently some cars have that.
It could be a failing battery in the TPMS or failing TPMS.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Get yourself a good quality pressure gauge, for like $20 on Amazon. Then invest in a simple, electric air compressor, for anywhere from $40 to $100. Do these two simple, inexpensive things, and you will forever take control of these issues.

Sadly, the G does not tell you the air pressure, like it so easily could if Nissan were so inclined. Nor does it tell you which TPMS is triggering the fault light... again, like it so easily could have. Oh well.
You trying to copy me? lol

Last edited by Entcee; 02-20-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Entcee
It could be a failing battery in the TPMS or failing TPMS.
Could be. Those batteries are supposed to last 5 to 10 years, which is a pretty broad range. It gives me pause to wonder when mine are going to give up the ghost.

Originally Posted by Entcee
You trying to copy me? lol
Yup.

37-38 lbs seems kind of high, don't you think? Typical pressure is 30-35. I keep mine at 33 lbs.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Well this was with the tires hot. So 33+ 4lbs for heat. The guy at Costco said it was at 16psi, hopefully it holds. I don't see anything in the tire. Will get it patched if need be. I dropped my phone scratching the screen while looking at the tire. Damn.

Last edited by ezbme; 02-20-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
If you get an air compressor, get one that has battery clips rather than a cig lighter plug. There is a high chance of the latter blowing the socket fuse as these things tend to draw quite a bit of current. Those running off the battery have no such limitation.

Viair 87p or 88p are good options. I bring the 87p with me on long road trips along with a tire plug kit. If I should get a flat around town i'll just install the spare.

Tire pressure is a personal preference.. 33-35 cold is a good range. I'll stick to the lower pressures around town and higher when doing roadtrips.

Having to go to costco (or any other place of service) to get tire pressure checked is just....... wrong.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:50 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
damn op must have a lot of free time to be going to costco and waiting around for them to check the psi for him lol. op even listed his mods. but cant even check his tire pressure lol crazy
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

I didn't have my pressure gage with me and costco is very close to where I work. It took them five minutes I had them fill each one.

Other than the big change in temp, from 78 to 38, my tires shouldn't have been off by more than 2psi, which the other three seem to be. They have nitrogen and it is free so why not use it?

I have a pencil apg, I had this electronic one, but it didn't make a great seal around the stem (should have listened to the critics on Amazon) the battery to that one is dead and I don't know where it is. This other one I had was great, but disappeared when I moved to a new home.

Costco is within 1 mile of my work or my house, I did have a small inflator, but as it got older, I find it not to be too reliable. There is about 78% nitrogen in the air, but 100% is better. If it happens again, I am going to have them plug the tire if possible. I haven't found a hole, so it might be a rim leak. If that is the case I might just have to replace the tires.

I bought some used Continental Pro Contacts SSC last October, I don't like them, but my tires were getting sketchy. I wish I had gotten the Bridgestone RE03s instead. I will probably get them when they come up with a deal later this year. The front conti's have around 5/32s and the rears about 7/32s.

When I get my new tires, I will try to sell the rears for 40-50 each. It is probably silly of me, but I want to wait for the next $70 off. The deal had expired in September. I expect there to be another by June if not sooner. I don't believe in wasting money, instead I invest it.

I had the subframe bushing replaced because I thought it was leaking, found out it wasn't (I bought the car used and they obviously they didn't clean the diff cover and when I saw the streaks, I thought it was needed). The subframe bushings were a no brainer when all of that area was being taken out.

Other than that, the car is factory. I don't know if I will do anything else to her, I might get a Q50 and mod that or a Tesla Model 3. At least that is two of the cars I am thinking of.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:54 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
It's OK if u don't work on ur own car alot of car enthusiasts don't these days.BTW I leave my tire psi gauge in the car. 2 in fact. Leaving it at home is useless to me
Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

I do a couple things, I get impatient so I worry about breaking things. If I can get stuff done for not too much, I will do it. For example: Pep boys installed my battery for free, could have done it myself, but free sounded pretty good. I don't usually leave my tire gage in the car. But for now I will. I have had the car for 16 months now and this is the first time I have had the sensor go off. I check my oil every time I wash it and the air at least once a month if not twice.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Go to Amazon, buy the Joe's Racing pressure gauge for 0-60 PSI.

$26.78 for Prime users.