Help on winter rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Machelen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
You in Calgary? There's affordable locally. Otherwise PCM tire looks like they'll ship you steelies for $77 each that they say clear the brakes.

Just msg'd PMC, they confirmed that steelie does not fit on g37s.

Rep there name is Cindy.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Machelen

Originally Posted by blnewt
The 08 G37 Coupe has the same Akebono brakes as the newer G37s (with the Akebonos).
There's been a couple guys that have run steelies, but I can't recall if they had the big Sport calipers or the smaller base sets.

So I found a set of 350z touring V2? I hope they fits my 2008 g37s lol.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Machelen
So I found a set of 350z touring V2? I hope they fits my 2008 g37s lol.
Looks like they will clear, just have to be careful w/ your wheel weight locations, probably at the very inside of the barrel by the looks of this thread~
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ng-wheels.html
Old 06-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Machelen

Looks like they will clear, just have to be careful w/ your wheel weight locations, probably at the very inside of the barrel by the looks of this thread~

Yea there is only like 2-4mm clearance to the barrel lol but hey it is winter set up, so handling is not the primary concern and certainly put the weights at the furthest inside of the barrel.

Blnewt, you have been so helpful and warmhearted. I greatly appreciate your knowledge and timely reply.

Mac
Old 06-21-2017, 01:09 AM
Machelen

So I bought the touring v2 rims. Didn't bother check but when I come home, I used template. I found where I marked is hitting the barrel. I remember someone said this template is conservative. Do you think this is the case? And one more question, I saw people saying they either change the bolt or nuts for the touring rims, does that mean g37s bolts are too long? If I have the nuts that came with that 2006 350z, do I still need to prepare to change?

Last edited by Machelen; 06-21-2017 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

That area in the template is where that post from the Z site I linked will come into play. You'll have clearance but it won't be much, so avoid any wheel weights in that part of the barrel. As far as the stud length, can't help w/ that, you want to get at least 6 full turns on the nut when torqued to 80-85 ft lbs, if you have less than that you'll need new studs, if you have too many turns and the nuts get bottomed-out you might just want some 3mm spacers.

There's been a couple guys running those exact wheels on the site and don't recall them saying there were issues w/ the lug nuts, but ????
Old 06-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Machelen

That area in the template is where that post from the Z site I linked will come into play. You'll have clearance but it won't be much, so avoid any wheel weights in that part of the barrel. As far as the stud length, can't help w/ that, you want to get at least 6 full turns on the nut when torqued to 80-85 ft lbs, if you have less than that you'll need new studs, if you have too many turns and the nuts get bottomed-out you might just want some 3mm spacers.

There's been a couple guys running those exact wheels on the site and don't recall them saying there were issues w/ the lug nuts, but ????

THanks. I tried to PM them but I guess either I am not as attractive as Kardashian or they probably are not active on the forum anymore.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:43 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The accepted engineering practice is to have half-a-nut worth of thread extending past the top of the nut when torqued.

Also, do not lube threads. Published torque readings are for dry threads. I tried but was unable to locate a rule-of-thumb regarding torque change when using lubed threads. All kinds of bogus info on the interwebs if you search. Only thing to do is measure bolt stretch on dry threads then duplicate the stretch after lubing.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Machelen

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
The accepted engineering practice is to have half-a-nut worth of thread extending past the top of the nut when torqued.

Also, do not lube threads. Published torque readings are for dry threads. I tried but was unable to locate a rule-of-thumb regarding torque change when using lubed threads. All kinds of bogus info on the interwebs if you search. Only thing to do is measure bolt stretch on dry threads then duplicate the stretch after lubing.
Hmm, I acutally never lubed my thread. Did nt know you need to?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
It's not a matter of need. People want to add some rust-proofing and grease is good at that.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Machelen

Just letting you know cuz I know you would help more people , Touring v2 fits perfect on 2008 g37s with akebono.

We do need to change lug nuts but not the bolts. This is due to special OEM nuts on G37s, which uses washer with the nuts. We will get about 10 turns on the 350z OEM nuts with G37s OEM bolts.

As for clearance. on the front, the closest point is more than 3-4mm to caliper from the barrel or more than 2 loonies. I personally think that is about 5mm. Still better to put weight behind the spoke just in case some pebble on road wont get stuck in there and damage the caliper.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:53 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks for the confirmation
Those are some nice fitting wheels (offset wise) too, and look proper on a G!