Tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Solman88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire suggestions

Hey guys, I just want your honest opinions and help me decide on one of these tires. I've decided I will run a dedicated winter and summer set. Which one best suits my driving? vehicle is a daily driver. I value tread life and comfort the most.

BRIDGESTONE POTENZA S-04 POLE POSITION - heard it's a cheaper version of the PSS? other than that dont really know much about them.

TOYO PROXES T1 SPORT - best bang for the bucks. very affordable but how does it stack up against other brands?

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 - it apparently has weak sidewall?? stay away from it if u plan to run winter/summer set right?

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - top class but very pricey.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:55 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I was going to change out my tires in the spring, but may be holding off.

I just swapped the snow wheels onto the car. Examining the OE tires (re050a, stock sizes), the front easily have at least 50% or more remaining, the rear about 25% (at least 2/32's away from the wear bars).

I'm actually tempted to just buy another set of OE rears rather than change everything out. Next time around will go with the PSS.

Mileage wise, these have about 18K miles on them.

Seems like a waste of the front tires to just discard them with so much tread remaining.

Btw, other than road noise I've been very happy with the re050a's performance.

Edit: Even if I were to sell them, there's still the hassle of shipping involved. Tire rack has the stock rear tires for $230+ shipping + whatever it costs me to install 'em locally. I'll probably just end up having discount tire match/beat the price and go that route come summer.

Last edited by JSolo; 12-26-2015 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Solman88 (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 09:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
The top two you listed are good options for a better price point than the Michelins, another viable choice would be the BFG Sport Comp 2, getting good reviews and a good price too.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:09 AM
Thirty_Seven

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
The Continentals you listed aren't really competitive with the others. Look into the Continental DW, which is their summer tire rather than their all-season.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:40 AM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
I am opting for the Toyo Proxes T1 Sports myself. I have a few months/miles left on my Bridgestones. But, for the reasonably low price I feel the benefits are solid.

Asymmetric Tread: Provides more contact patch on the outer half of the tire for enhanced cornering and braking limits, while the inner half opens wider enhancing wet grip, and hydroplaning resistance.

Wide profile design carcass: Improves contact pressure distribution, enhancing cornering and braking performance.

High strength sidewall and ultra hard bead filler: Provides sharper and more linear steering feel and response.

Let us know what you choose and give some feedback. You may have a set for a few months before I pull the trigger. Love to hear your input.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:30 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I've had both the S04 and the PSS on my car.

Honestly, on the street, I don't think you'll realistically push your car hard enough to notice a difference between the two.

S04s are on pretty steep discount on Tire Rack right now. But if you can swing it, the PSS is the better tire. I got ~10K out of the S04 and I'm at 12k with the PSS and planning on replacing them soon.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:08 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by kimmspeed
I am opting for the Toyo Proxes T1 Sports myself. I have a few months/miles left on my Bridgestones. But, for the reasonably low price I feel the benefits are solid.

Asymmetric Tread: Provides more contact patch on the outer half of the tire for enhanced cornering and braking limits, while the inner half opens wider enhancing wet grip, and hydroplaning resistance.

Wide profile design carcass: Improves contact pressure distribution, enhancing cornering and braking performance.

High strength sidewall and ultra hard bead filler: Provides sharper and more linear steering feel and response.

Let us know what you choose and give some feedback. You may have a set for a few months before I pull the trigger. Love to hear your input.
Might shoot a PM to Jonesmeister, he's got them now and has had some track time w/ them
https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...r-s-build.html
The new Nitto N555G2 tire might be available when your ready for your new tires, should be a good option, but they're not out just yet & not a huge selection of sizes at launch. I have the current N555s on my G and they've been good thus far (about 5k miles)
NT555G2 Tires
Old 12-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Solman88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of solid advice, fellas! I wish winter was over already. I love the Toyo tire at treaddepot with their free shipping plus they also carry the wheels (%10 off!) I want. I hope they still have the deal when spring hits.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Solman88
A lot of solid advice, fellas! I wish winter was over already. I love the Toyo tire at treaddepot with their free shipping plus they also carry the wheels (%10 off!) I want. I hope they still have the deal when spring hits.
If you go w/ treadepot be sure to ask for Andrew and mention myG37.com for possibly even better deals, he's done well for us here
The following users liked this post:
Solman88 (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 10:02 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The S-04s were noticeably gripper, quieter and softer than the RE050. You will not regret purchasing them.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:21 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Solman88
Hey guys, I just want your honest opinions and help me decide on one of these tires. I've decided I will run a dedicated winter and summer set. Which one best suits my driving? vehicle is a daily driver. I value tread life and comfort the most.

BRIDGESTONE POTENZA S-04 POLE POSITION - heard it's a cheaper version of the PSS? other than that dont really know much about them.

TOYO PROXES T1 SPORT - best bang for the bucks. very affordable but how does it stack up against other brands?

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 - it apparently has weak sidewall?? stay away from it if u plan to run winter/summer set right?

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - top class but very pricey.
Love my Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions.

Great all around tire. Good grip, pretty quiet and decent in the rain.

And got them for a pretty good price from Discount Tires with their price match policy.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

It is interesting how much better the S0-4s are reviewed compared to the RE050, and can be found for much better pricing typically as well.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
If you go w/ treadepot be sure to ask for Andrew and mention myG37.com for possibly even better deals, he's done well for us here
^^^ This, he did me well when I bought my t1 sports. I love everything about them except I wish they had more grip for track days.