Dont purchase Vossen Wheels with Graphite finish

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 PM
iGGy37S

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Dont purchase Vossen Wheels with Graphite finish

I recently purchased a set of new CV3 wheels which have been on the car for 4 weeks. The wheels started showing signs of wear the first week they were on the car.

The issue is with the finish itself, it simply isnt strong enough to hold up to weather elements. While the graphite finish looks great with its matte finish, it needs to be covered with a clear coat in order to withstand something as simple as being wiped off with a towel. If you were to take your own nail and glide it over the spoke it would wear off and display a white line (an example).

Vossen likely uses a finish that is mixed with a matte clear coat with the base coat itself, which is beyond cheap. These wheels look good for a day if you are a show car, but if you daily the car or even change wheels during seasons they will look terrible after a few months.

I am not even going to go into detail of the fact the wheels are poorly machined, with clearly visible jagged edges on the aluminum. So when they are painted it looks like there are run offs from the paint (can provide photo details)

Bottom line is this, if you are going to purchase the graphite finish, do yourself a favor and get them professionally clear coated. I have contacted Vossen directly and all they could say is its normal wear and tear. While that may be correct, the fact still stands that the finish is poor in quality and should be avoided. I could live with the poor finish, but I will likely go and get them professionally powder-coated in a similar finish with a proper clear coat to protect the base coat.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I'd continue your talks w/ Vossen, if you just recently purchased them and are not happy w/ the quality they should make an effort to satisfy the customer. Vossens aren't a cheap purchase so you should expect a high quality finish that will hold up over time, I know I would.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:43 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
can we get some pictures?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:32 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
post pics please.
I have heard vossen customer support is pretty good

any particular reason for choosing vossens? you can get wheels with custom offset and widths and which are a lot more unique than vossens, some cheaper than vossens and some others slightly more than a set of vossens.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Vossen has great customer service and support. I know a multitude of people who have matte graphite rims from Vossen and I have never once heard of the finish just peeling off. Work with them and they will work it out with you.

Also, pics will help support your beef.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Very sorry to hear this is happening. Do you rememebr who you spoke to at our office? Please email me some photos and any additional information so we can better assist you. We do have an excellent warranty and if this is something that is happening under normal use then we can certainly get the wheel replaced.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 PM
iGGy37S

I want to reiterate, the finish is not chipping or peeling. If you know what a flat finish paint job on a car looks like, and what happens when take your nail and glide it on the finish. The finish becomes glossy, vs being matte. Vossen Graphite finish acts in a similar fashion but turns white. Since their wheels cant be buffed, hence no clear coat, the white scuffs stand out. Please note the paint run offs/bad milling job on each wheel - updated photos *edited 4/27/14

Basically the wheels have no scratches, but they have the white/grey marks which stand out. If I knew their finish would react and have poor aluminum milling work inside and outside the wheel/paint run offs, I would have never purchased the wheels.

Last edited by iGGy37S; 04-27-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:39 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
can you please post the pix up in this thread? i know i m not the only one that's curious
Old 04-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
So you came into this thread, bashed Vossen with no proof or any kind of back up to your story and expect everyone to believe you?

I for one do not like many after market wheels but I do believe if someone is going to bash a company they should be at the VERY least back it up. Anyone can talk smack on a forum.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Tazicon
So you came into this thread, bashed Vossen with no proof or any kind of back up to your story and expect everyone to believe you?

I for one do not like many after market wheels but I do believe if someone is going to bash a company they should be at the VERY least back it up. Anyone can talk smack on a forum.
Probably will close thread if pics aren't posted. Iggy37, please post pics of the issues so others can see what's going on.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Vossen will replace your wheels under warranty, these issue happen to me. Diego help me out a lot as the matter of fact, I just got the wheels 3 days ago. I have some pix also. If you really want to see the flaking clear coat.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The only thing I noticed about the graphite finish is that the lip will get small rock chips pretty easily.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Probably will close thread if pics aren't posted. Iggy37, please post pics of the issues so others can see what's going on.

Shut it down, Bro. I think this would have been better in the "random rants" thread.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

OP, if you can add pics I'll open it back up, until then.......................
Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 PM
iGGy37S

I was away so I couldnt post photos on time. These were taken today. The paint run offs/bad milling marks, whichever one it is, are on each wheel. In between the spokes, where the spokes end, and on the sides of the spokes. And you can see the white marks - note that there is no physical damage to the wheel where the white marks are, if you glide your finger over them you wont feel any scratches or abnormalities.

Diego I private messaged you with the same information. Looking to hear back from you.

Quick Reply: Dont purchase Vossen Wheels with Graphite finish