Lug Nuts for my VOSSENS - Opinions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Context, Red. I know you have a White Vert, and your new rims aren't on the car yet... they have a light gun-metal finish, right? I'd pass on red-capped lugnuts, unless your calipers were painted some similar shade.

Those Project Kics look really nice with black caps and black-chrome.

The wheels are actually burning black face with polished lips/barrels. But the burning black is difficult to see unless your in low light or looking at the sides of the spokes on the face. So the only way to know what will be appropriate will be to have them installed and look around intently.

That being said, my calipers are painted annodized red. So it's not impossible for the red caps to look good on the vsxx. It's improbable...I'll grant you that, but not impossible. Blindly going in I have this vision that black chrome R40's (either left hollow or with caps) or project Kics iconix that are black with a white cap would look great.
I'm not going to jump right into this likely $230 mistake. My plan is to have the shop install the wheels with the chrome McGuards. Then take my Godsnow lugs and paint 2 of the caps (one Ann red and one white....maybe even one black or black chrome if I can pull that off). This experiment should give me some idea which direction would be for the best overall appearance of my ride. I'll def post pics to get your opinion in particular John, and the rest of the guys.

I enjoy getting your opinions BC I feel like we approach problems in different ways. I think you'll agree with that statement fairly quickly lol. I'm glad I won't be in the room with you when you read it lol. Anyway my point is that you always manage to help me see my choices/problems from another angle. Usually a better angle, but always a different angle. That's one of the highest compliments I can give in case the text is failing to relay my intentions.

Anyway I think I'm going to need some lugs with a higher security factor to protect my newest investment. So if anyone has a set of R40's or a iconix let me know plz. (just not neochrome). There are new pics on my BT btw
Old 07-10-2015, 11:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Redfire32
I'll def post pics
Do that.

Someday I'd like to see you evolve beyond cell phone pics on Instagram. Seriously, Red.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Do that.

Someday I'd like to see you evolve beyond cell phone pics on Instagram. Seriously, Red.
I'll work on that. Honestly I will. The problem with that is my step-daughter and her mother shop constantly. They open up 10-15 tabs at once to save the clothing items they are debating on buying. Over time this behavior led to malware on our home computer. Since I only use my laptop for trading and researching stocks I didn't bother to fix it.

Then my daughter started needing to borrow my laptop to do "homework" for school. After a few days of my computer not being returned to its correct place I went downstairs to check on her. Of course she had nearly 20 tabs open and again my personal laptop has been rendered usless. Well tbh just extremely slow. Too slow for my level of patience. I refuse to fix either of them since the damage was done while going against my rules I had laid out very clearly.

But here is my promise to you John. I will work on getting a mid-range camera that I can take quality pictures with. I've actually been taking mental notes from some of your comments to other members. For instance you complimented a nember for taking photos from the same height on different sides of his car to show wheel gap before & after. There are some other tidbits but you get the idea.

I'm afraid I don't know of any other way to post pics without IG. Would it be acceptable if my pics were of a higher quality and then posted from IG?
Old 07-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It's just that you're developing a really high level of hobby interest in your car. Taking photos isn't just an archival process, as something that you can look back on with appreciation. (Although there's a lot of value in that.) Actually, in the context of what you're doing with your car, taking photos can become part of the hobby.

I'm no photographer, and I don't have a high-end camera, but you don't need to be either of those things to do right by yourself, and the people you want to share that stuff with on the forum.

Now git me a beer, dammit.
The following users liked this post:
Redfire32 (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Wait. I really don't know jack about photography, and my camera is mid-range, with a very cheap bounce-flash from Walmart... totally admit all that.

But this is still a pretty cool shot from last year.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Yep that's a great shot. I'll confess something that might explain my photo quality a bit further. Have you ever heard of Gorilla glass iPhone cases? Well they are only $19 and they are nearly bulletproof. Get one.

Anyway my brother in-law was admiring my case on day so I decided to give it to him. I ordered another one and when I was tightening down the Allen screws I overdid the screw directly above where my phones camera is. It hasn't worked for over a year and a half how. So every single pic you've seen of mine has been taken with me holding the screen away from my body (unable to see what the hell im getting a shot of) and just randomly hitting the exposure button trying to get one acceptable shot. Basically spray and pray as we said in the Army while discussing the insurgents shooting technique.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:56 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
I went through the thread, and didn't see Gorilla lugs mentioned. I had a set of Gorilla lug bolts on my Golf R and really liked them. They're quality, and the lock design seems secure. Also, unlike some other lock designs I've used, there is great grip for removing the lugs and torquing them down.

These are the Acorn Black Chrome set:

Old 07-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by lobuzz311
I went through the thread, and didn't see Gorilla lugs mentioned.
Really?

And yes, in all this searching around I've found nothing but good vibes about Gorilla quality.
Originally Posted by blnewt
That's one reason why I suggested the gorilla system
Originally Posted by Wangstas863
Trying to spend less than a $100 . mcguard spline drive lugs or the gorilla system?
LOL. Just teasing you, lobuzz311.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Lug Nuts for my VOSSENS - Opinions Welcome

Really? LOL. Just teasing you, lobuzz311.
Bwahaha! OK, I admit to having glossed over the parts of the thread that was lacking in pictures, but come on... It's lug nuts! I saw no pictures of Gorilla lugs (*hopes he didn't skip over Gorilla lug pic) and when I searched the thread for "Gorilla" every post came up, even those that didn't contain the term. I assumed search was broken and posted.
Somewhat redeemed? Maybe? Ah whatever...
Old 02-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Approaching my third year with these McGard Lug Nuts, and I cleaned them up this morning, in preparation for Spring. They seem to all be holding up nicely. There are no nicks, scratches, or defects of any kind.

The design still impresses me, too. The chromed, hardened steel barrels, the 8-sided spline drive, the rounded flat-tops, and the two-piece engineering where the softer aluminum settles into the tapered lug hole while the barrel turns separately, applying an even torque against the wheel. (Or so goes the koolaid, says not-an-engineer, LOL)

Anyway, I always thought that someday I'd play with a different set of lug nuts. But as I clean these up and assess things, I'm very happy to continue using them. My Vossens are cleaned and waxed, the tires dressed a number of times with tire gel, the pair of 3mm spacers and all the aluminum hub-centric rings have been cleaned up. I'd really rather that Spring would come soon.

Here's a pic that I took just now:

blnewt (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 05:40 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Very nice pic. I agree those lugs are holding up quite nicely.
Rochester (02-14-2016)