Lug Nuts for my VOSSENS - Opinions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
Redfire's comments have made me revisit the idea of colored lug nuts on my car, with lots of (apparently redundant) research off and on over the last few days. Finally, this morning I thought to shop up what my Vossens would look like with gold, flat-top lug-nuts. It's interesting, but... nah.

Too much, IMO. Even if the calipers were painted, it just seems... too blingy. So I'm going to put this idea back on the shelf for another day.

I think the issue is the bright silver finish on the Vossens. If they were gunmetal, or black, then perhaps the contrast would pop. As it is, they conflict for shiny attention. IDK... talking out of my ****, perhaps. Either way, here's the pic:

Old 11-29-2014, 01:20 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
The gold lugs don't look half bad. I'm not huge on colored lugs though, unless you're color matching with the wheels, calipers or have some sort of a color scheme going. But I think if you were to have your calipers painted and get lugs to match if may take away from the caliper.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:32 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I was thinking to go with neochrome lugs to pull towards the calipers. Reverse thinking I guess.

At the same time, with my wheels being black i don't know if it's worth it. Thinking to go gunmetal in the future.

If you go yellow with the calipers I don't think the gold would work though. IIRC that was the color you were thinking?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
John, you should P-shop black lug nuts, you've got hints of black on your G along w/ the black tires, would look nice IMO.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
John Id like to see your CVTs with black lugs photo shopped in as well. In fact if it wouldn't be too much of a chore I think we would all gain from seeing several different colors of lugs tried on. Is it possible for you to do a mock up of some two tone lugs like the volk Rays for instance?

I thought the gold lugs looked kind of appealing, but I agree with you the end result doesn't carry a wow factor big enough to justify throwing yourself back into the tedious search for the ultimate lug. There will be time down the road to judge the caliper and lug nut matching colors when I post my setup on here. I may require your assistance to put the actual photos in the thread once more if you don't mind.

I'm curious did you chose Gold lugs for your test drive bc of your engine cover???
Old 12-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Ok John its on! I'm ready for you to hit my garage up and help me contribute to this thread with some pics of my new lugs set against my new wheels please bro. Thanks in advance
Old 12-01-2014, 09:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Here you go Reddi ^^^

The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
ANMVQ (12-04-2014), Redfire32 (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
Here you go Reddi ^^^
Thumbnails, Brad? Come on, man. Plus, that one good photo is the sample shot his retailer gave him with blue lug nuts.

Honestly, Redfire, it's very hard to tell from those photos. No offense intended at all, buddy, but you got to work on those photography skills. I can't really establish any sense of how much they poke from the hub, or whether or not I like the color in the larger context of your car.

If you go to your garage, you'll see a read-only text box where you can copy & paste a link as a new IMG tag. That's not available to me (because not my garage), but all I had to do was look at the HTML behind the page and snag the image file reference. Here are a few of them:

The following users liked this post:
Redfire32 (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

If it's of all thanks to both of you for helping me get these out there. Yes they aren't great pics, I wasn't pleased with them either. But the lugs and the wheels were both delivered just at dark. On top of that my garage is poorly lit and I had to use a phone (as always) to take the photos.

John those lugs stick out only slightly, not nearly as far as I was fearing they would. IMO they are perfect! The amount of lug that's visible outside the wheel is the amount of lug that's above the Godsnow logo that's on each lug. Maybe just a little higher than that. I'm going to go grab a wheel n a few lugs so I can take more pics in better lighting. Give me 10-15 min and hopefully I'll have something that's quality enough for you all to form opinions.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:57 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

I think I understand what your talking about setting up an IMG in the text box John. I'll attempt to do that in the morning, I've glt to get my boys to bed!!

Anyway I took much better photos (I hope and I believe I captured the angles you were asking for. So if someone could do me one last solid I'll be in your debt. Thanks guys. Please leave your thoughts on the wheels and especially the lugs!

Btw Brad & Rochester I had an idea I wanted to run by you guys. Let's just assume the red in the lugs doesn't match the caliper anodized red well enough for our taste...what would you think of me buying Rhe same rattle can of AR paint n give the top locks of the lugs a lil spray?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:23 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Redfire32
I think I understand what your talking about setting up an IMG in the text box John. I'll attempt to do that in the morning, I've glt to get my boys to bed!!

Anyway I took much better photos (I hope and I believe I captured the angles you were asking for. So if someone could do me one last solid I'll be in your debt. Thanks guys. Please leave your thoughts on the wheels and especially the lugs!

Btw Brad & Rochester I had an idea I wanted to run by you guys. Let's just assume the red in the lugs doesn't match the caliper anodized red well enough for our taste...what would you think of me buying Rhe same rattle can of AR paint n give the top locks of the lugs a lil spray?
Since that's the only red that you notice I'd say do it, especially if it's going to bother you, I'm 99% certain Rochester would agree
Old 12-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

What do you think of the new pics Brad?
Old 12-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

IDK, man, they look kind of pink, like cherry cough drops stuck at the ends of your lug nuts. But I see you changed your avatar image, so clearly you're jazzed up, and that's all that matters.

I really need to see the whole package before saying one way or another, but I'm kind of leaning away from liking them, Redfire. Better yet, I'm thinking black caps would be more appealing, coupled with that splash of chrome poking 1/4" out from the wheel.

I'm also apprehensive about the adapter key. I recently snapped a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter with a breaker bar at 85 feet/pounds. Pretty easily, too.

When do they go on the car?

Old 12-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Should get the final two tires in the mail by Friday. So the whole package will be available for viewing either late Friday or Saturday.

I hate that your not feeling them as much now. Hopefully that will change after thru are mounted. I think the caps look fabulous against the wheels. The reason I got so jazzed about them was I gave them a nice polish before setting up round two of pictures. Once that CV4 got to glaring & shining...Mmmmm
And holding the Godsnow lugs while feeling the quality of the movement of the pieces....gave me a chance to put to bed all the fears I had about them being a cheap Volk Rays formula lug knockoff. So yeah it was an avitar changing type of moment...for me anyway. I was also proud of that particular pic and I couldn't post it without help unless I made it my avitar.

New avitar pic coming in the next 2-6 days. I'm thinking either stuck with semi-sexy pics of the ball n chain, or perhaps a pic of my oldest son a few years back as a toddler.

i personally don't see the pink color your talking about. I see the red..brighter red than my cals that's for sure. but the cool thing about these is I can buy a can of anodized red n match it up quick. I had considered buying black cals in the first place...those would look nice. But the sky's the limit with the only part that will require painting being the size of my pinky nail
I'm gonna let you guys see the lugs in their natural habitat, then paint Em darker red If we arent feelin it. If that too fails to pop then black or black chrome it is!
Hey what would you thiink of QAA white on the caps? Just wondering.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Looks good IMO, although the big pic you framed in that severe curb rash
Detracts a bit from the gleaming wheels & fresh lug nuts.
BTW were you able to find a place to clean that up Reddii?

Those wheels are going to look real proper What size tires are you going with, still the 245s?

Quick Reply: Lug Nuts for my VOSSENS - Opinions Welcome