Time to replace tires on G37S Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by rokuss
I have the 760s and love them. They have excellent grip in dry. I haven't pushed them in the rain so I can't comment much in that aspect. I think they are better than the RE050s. I wanted the michelin pilot sport a/s but didn't want to upsize.

Stay away from the RE960s. Soft sidewall and mushy sidewall but that thing sticks.
how is the road noise and ride comfort compared to the RE050?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
rokuss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't recall if the road noise is any different. I'm used to loud tires as my old G had the michelin pilots. I like driving a car with a tighter suspension and bein able to feel the road. The car bounces a little on the pavement but handles great. Bridgestone has the 30 day buy and try program. Buy 4 tires and try them out for 30 days. If you don't like them, return them and BS will pay for new tires up to the price that you paid for the tires you returned.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:13 PM
ttboy

Thanks for all the replys. I tracked down a Discount Tire shop about 65 miles away and they quoted me $800 OTD for the RE760 Sports. I think I'm gonna go that route.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
rokuss

Originally Posted by ttboy
Thanks for all the replys. I tracked down a Discount Tire shop about 65 miles away and they quoted me $800 OTD for the RE760 Sports. I think I'm gonna go that route.
That is a damn good price. It is an even better price if they throw in road hazzard! It always ices over once a year here in TX, so I'm going to buy some snow chains. I have stock rims so it won't matter if it gets banged up.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:22 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
in case you didn't know, you can order the tires from Tirerack.com and have them drop shipped to a tire shop that participates in their installation program. i usually find that this method is cheaper. last time i did this, i saved little over $100 compared to buying straight from a local tire shop. this is taking into account of shipping also.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 PM
rokuss

Discount tire matches the prices at Tire Rack. You have to watch out with some of those places that tire rack drop ships to. NTB added an extra $20 per tire to replace the serviceable parts for the TPMS. The next time, I got a quote and told them I didn't want the extra crap ( rubber stems, tmps service kit, etc). They only charged me $44 to mount and balance my tires. You live and learn.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:18 AM
StopTheExcuses

Originally Posted by G35Rhino
This is exactly what I did and went with Mich Pilot Sport A/S+. Had them for ~12k miles and really like the ride and feel.
+ 1. This is the exact tire/size combination I have on my car now. Increased dry performance, increased wet performance (by loads), quieter, and much increased mileage (with warranty). You can't go wrong. Michelin makes the best tires, IMO.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:44 PM
4drScreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my last car, 05 Acura TL, I used GY Eagle F1's and Yoko S-Drives, but both wore out too quickly for me. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for the extended wear promised. They performed extremely well especially with my aggressive driving style with one exception: they slid a bit more than my previous tires. I actually expect this because the rubber compound of the A/S is harder resulting in longer wear. The softer tire compounds on the F1 and S-Drive hold slightly better, but as a result wear out quicker.

Not having ever driven a Hankook before, I can't really comments although there are many threads of other users that have high regard for them. I would recommend the Michelins for their longer wear. I also can't comment about the BS RE760, but I will not reorder the current BS RE050 that came on my new sedan. Again for the minimal tread life expected out of them.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:44 AM
StopTheExcuses

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
On my last car, 05 Acura TL, I used GY Eagle F1's and Yoko S-Drives, but both wore out too quickly for me. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for the extended wear promised. They performed extremely well especially with my aggressive driving style with one exception: they slid a bit more than my previous tires. I actually expect this because the rubber compound of the A/S is harder resulting in longer wear. The softer tire compounds on the F1 and S-Drive hold slightly better, but as a result wear out quicker.

Not having ever driven a Hankook before, I can't really comments although there are many threads of other users that have high regard for them. I would recommend the Michelins for their longer wear. I also can't comment about the BS RE760, but I will not reorder the current BS RE050 that came on my new sedan. Again for the minimal tread life expected out of them.
Oh yeah, the the Michelin's will no doubt will "slide" a little easier around turns than the stockers. I did notice that immediately. But man, in a straight line traction, wet weather traction and wear can't be beat.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:08 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
NO! am i too late?! DON'T get the 760's. I had them on my previous TL, and the car freaking ate them up in 15,000 miles. They're TERRIBLE in the rain, and or any sort of slick conditions (summer tires, duh...but other summer tires have at least SOME stability in non-dry conditions). NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Go for the 960 Potenzas. My favorite tires! Quiet and grippy + a 40k warranty.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the November issue of Consumer Reports. They have the ratings of all the UHP tires you are considering. Good article, too bad we have the weird rim sizes on the sedan that limits the choices on their list.