Put 275/35ZR-19s on original rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Gwhiz37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put 275/35ZR-19s on original rear wheels

Thanks to those that helped when I was looking for a wider, more all season tire for the varied NC weather. Looked at many, settled with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for about $340 a tire. The grip is incredible and I do not feel in hard cornering as if the tire will fold. The look, as you can tell from the attached pixs, is great. Yeah I know I should have put 4 on now, but, hey, you can only do so much so quick.

I do notice a slight lowering in MPG. The speedometer is pretty true, only off by .4 MPH at 60 MPH.

This is the widest tire you can place on the rims. Believe me, I tried from every angle to go wider, but kept safety in mind.

Put 275/35ZR-19s on original rear wheels-p1070621.jpg

Put 275/35ZR-19s on original rear wheels-p1070625-medium-.jpg
Old 01-26-2008, 11:02 AM
lowrider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope you moved your OEM rears to the front, or better put the same brand tire in a 245/40/19 size up front.

Lou
Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lowrider
I hope you moved your OEM rears to the front, or better put the same brand tire in a 245/40/19 size up front.

Lou
agreed
Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
kellycm2

Hey Gwhiz can you post some more pictures of the tires i'd like to see a little more if you've got any.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lots of Meat on those rears...
Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM
LAZY TURBO

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
jesussss thats wide!!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Da Hashi

thats the same price for the bridgestones in 275....well i paid 500 for them and put the 245's up front.........handles great looks good too
Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
anyone go 305?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Gwhiz37

Crappy weather in the Carolinas tonight (that exactly why I put the A/Ss on) so no pictures tonight. I will try for tomorrow. Actually the further away, the better they look but I'll take some close-ups. I did not move the backs to the fronts; rather, just placed the backs in storage and plan to use them when the fronts wear out. Still deciding whether to put some spacers on, but still am not getting a good feeling from a safety factor.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 AM
lowrider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gwhiz37
Crappy weather in the Carolinas tonight (that exactly why I put the A/Ss on) so no pictures tonight. I will try for tomorrow. Actually the further away, the better they look but I'll take some close-ups. I did not move the backs to the fronts; rather, just placed the backs in storage and plan to use them when the fronts wear out. Still deciding whether to put some spacers on, but still am not getting a good feeling from a safety factor.
So you still have the stock 225s up front? If so, you will have crunching understeer. A 50 millimeter (2") difference in cross section front to rear on the "G" is really not a good idea. And you have all seasons on the back, and the stock hi-po tires on the front? Another mistake. I don't understand why we spend so much on a car, and then try to mod it on the cheap

Lou
Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Are those Michelin Pilot Sport AS on the rear? Those were about the closest to summer tread that you can get in an AS tire. The middle lining is actually summer tread and the outside is the AS tread. But I would definitely change out the stock fronts for something more compatible with the rear.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:24 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK KAHBOOM, Middle lining? The tread on any Michelin Tire ( known in Michelin as the KM) is all the same compound. The tread ends in the shoulder area of the tire. you can see this by a slight coloration line in the shoulder area of the tire. that is where the sidewall rubber ( FE "flank exterior") is over lapped with the tread (KM).

Side note KM actually stands for Kelly Michelin. Not sure if it was the daughter or niece of one of the Michelin Cousins.

Last edited by shumby; 03-05-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Ahujadaddy

interesting... i have been thinking of changing out all four of the summer OEM tires at the end of the upcomming summer with the Pilot Sport A/S

Good to see someone else on here has done it already. Tired of watching the weather 24/7 and not being able to drive when there is a chance of snow.

Just gonna wear out my summers first!

U still keep the PSI at 35? Or does that change when u go wider and lower profile?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Gwhiz37

Lowrider,

Thanks for the comments, but I don't share your concerns and rather surprised at the shot at cheap mod. The G37 has a low amount of understeer to begin with; that's a given. Yes, I'm pushing it out a bit more, but also, I am not running it full throttle (at high speeds) into the corners. The hi-po stock tires in front do a great job and I don't ever feel like they are going to keep on drifting and fail to make the corner. As to the back, the A/Ss , especially through the corners, easily hold the car where I want it and have the grip needed to accelerate regardless of weather. Being we don't have dry pavement as much as others do, I wanted the backs to have a bit more bite in addition to looking better. Yes, I have potentially create a larger imbalance - fully realize, but I have yet to experience any greater need to correct my steering or to slow it down. If I am correct, most of the BMWs have a similiar understeer (steering ) ratio and do just fine.

Would I have liked to put A/Ss on each wheel - sure. But keeping up ($$) with 5 cars including a 2003 G35 gets to be a bit much. This still gives me what a want (appearance, all weather grip) while driving the heck out of the car. Nothing finer to be in the Great Smokies with DS on and the car just sticking to the road. I'll take the understeer and drive accordingly, thank you.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:53 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gwhiz37
Lowrider,

Thanks for the comments, but I don't share your concerns and rather surprised at the shot at cheap mod. The G37 has a low amount of understeer to begin with; that's a given. Yes, I'm pushing it out a bit more, but also, I am not running it full throttle (at high speeds) into the corners. The hi-po stock tires in front do a great job and I don't ever feel like they are going to keep on drifting and fail to make the corner. As to the back, the A/Ss , especially through the corners, easily hold the car where I want it and have the grip needed to accelerate regardless of weather. Being we don't have dry pavement as much as others do, I wanted the backs to have a bit more bite in addition to looking better. Yes, I have potentially create a larger imbalance - fully realize, but I have yet to experience any greater need to correct my steering or to slow it down. If I am correct, most of the BMWs have a similiar understeer (steering ) ratio and do just fine.

Would I have liked to put A/Ss on each wheel - sure. But keeping up ($$) with 5 cars including a 2003 G35 gets to be a bit much. This still gives me what a want (appearance, all weather grip) while driving the heck out of the car. Nothing finer to be in the Great Smokies with DS on and the car just sticking to the road. I'll take the understeer and drive accordingly, thank you.

Where are you located?

Quick Reply: Put 275/35ZR-19s on original rear wheels