TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Itb08-028: Noise From Bank 2 Vvel Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:36 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ah ya and if you needed that oil then thye have to pay cuz service manual says any 5w-30
Old 10-16-2008, 03:16 AM
shabbo
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude that's highway robbery!! unless you're doing a periodical service schedule.

I spoke to my dealership last week and he mentioned clearly that the new oil change will cost something in the $90-100 range...no more

They also confirmed that using Motul 300 instead is a more superior way to do it since it only costs a little bit more. 6 quarts for $70.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 AM
HP_John

I had the SB done, no more noise. Interestingly, they didn't use Ester (unless they didn't charge me for it).
Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

I'm taking my car in next week... I started hearing the clicking, tapping noise from the engine 4 days ago
Old 10-27-2008, 12:52 AM
ChOy BoY

just started hearing this noise as well..F-IN a..

kenny expect me!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
t-bone1924

I had this TSB done a while ago for exactly this knocking noise, before the revision for the ester oil, so they didn't add the ester oil. They just did the reprogramming. The knocking is back in full force just 300 miles after a regular oil change.

My question is this---what damage, if any, is happening to the valve lifters (or other engine parts) if the knocking continues without the ester oil treatment???

Anyone know for sure? Seems to me that the ester oil would only add "a little more lube" to the VVEL actuator.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:09 PM
STEP_IT_UP
Registered Member

hey matt I just got back from back Kenny dealership today with this issue I had for months now. Spoke to the service manage Frank he said that he would have somebody from infiniti take a look at it once I make a appointment.
The ester oil and reflash for the ecu is pointless don't even bother waste of money and time
Originally Posted by ChOy BoY
just started hearing this noise as well..F-IN a..

kenny expect me!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:13 AM
ChOy BoY

Originally Posted by STEP_IT_UP
hey matt I just got back from back Kenny dealership today with this issue I had for months now. Spoke to the service manage Frank he said that he would have somebody from infiniti take a look at it once I make a appointment.
The ester oil and reflash for the ecu is pointless don't even bother waste of money and time
so what eventually happened? you shouldn't have to pay for that if it's a warranty issue though
Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 AM
shrpshtr
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anybody got a soundclip of the tapping/knocking sound??? Just curious what this sounds like...
Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 AM
ChOy BoY

i'll make a clip of mine next time i can and i hear it
Old 10-28-2008, 01:56 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by t-bone1924
I had this TSB done a while ago for exactly this knocking noise, before the revision for the ester oil, so they didn't add the ester oil. They just did the reprogramming. The knocking is back in full force just 300 miles after a regular oil change.
Then, the software change did not work. Have your dealership do it again. There have been reports of the mechanic not properly performing the upgrade. BTW, a "good" mechanic will take another software model reading after performing the upgrade to make sure it worked.

My question is this---what damage, if any, is happening to the valve lifters (or other engine parts) if the knocking continues without the ester oil treatment???

Anyone know for sure? Seems to me that the ester oil would only add "a little more lube" to the VVEL actuator.
Why would you think the ester would "add a little more lube"?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 PM
t-bone1924

Originally Posted by notalk
Why would you think the ester would "add a little more lube"?
Like in adding more lubricating qualities to the oil. What other reason for adding the ester oil would there be?

Anyone know what damage might occur without the ester oil treatment and knocking continues intermittently?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by t-bone1924
Like in adding more lubricating qualities to the oil. What other reason for adding the ester oil would there be?
Well, ester additives increase the adhesion properties of the oil. This means more ester will cause the oil to "stick to" metal parts longer. Such decreases the lubrication by having the oil stick instead of flow. In fact, more ester will decrease the "lubricating qualities" of oil, not increase them as you believe.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:08 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ChOy BoY
so what eventually happened? you shouldn't have to pay for that if it's a warranty issue though
he did the oil change almost a month ago and it was quiet. we had a few guys in the tech area come in and also brought a brand new 6mt G37 coupe in to hear and compare the noise, which personally i couldnt tell the big different.

STEP IT UP's car's VIN didn't fall in the category of this TSB either. I dont' know I don't build the damn cars.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:25 AM
ChOy BoY

Originally Posted by da mayor
he did the oil change almost a month ago and it was quiet. we had a few guys in the tech area come in and also brought a brand new 6mt G37 coupe in to hear and compare the noise, which personally i couldnt tell the big different.

STEP IT UP's car's VIN didn't fall in the category of this TSB either. I dont' know I don't build the damn cars.
i know kenneth. you just help us!

Quick Reply: Itb08-028: Noise From Bank 2 Vvel Actuator