Supporting Vendors Products and services, available for purchase from registered vendors.

Installation instructions for Betty's Garage 1st Generation G35 grounding wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Installation instructions for Betty's Garage 1st Generation G35 grounding wires

By popular demand, Betty's Garage now has grounding systems for the '03-'07 G35 coupe and the '03-'06 G35 sedan. The system for 1st generation Gs is just the same as for the current G37 with he exception that there is only one wire for grounding the throttle body as there is only 1 throttle body to ground. Other than that everything is pretty much the same. They work the same, same colors available, same sizes, same ordering process.

I have installed an 8 AWG set on both a sedan ('05) and a coupe ('04) and have received feedback from the owners. They are now ready for your G35.

1st generation pricing is slightly less than the G37:

8 AWG set: $64 shipped ($69 including tax when shipped to Texas)
4 AWG set: $84 shipped ($91 including tax when shipped to Texas)

Ordering is the same as for the G37. Please PM or email me your full name, screen name, email address, and the size and color grounding wires you'd like. I'll send you a PayPal invoice. I also accept money orders (no checks or eChecks please). I ship weekly on Fridays.

Who's ready?

Thanks for your continued support.

Last edited by Black Betty; 03-05-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Editing title as per BB's request
Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Installation instructions for 1st Generation grounding kits

Here's how to install the wire set.

DISCLAIMER: This set of wires is purchased and used solely at your own risk. I will not be held responsible or liable for any harm or damage that comes to your car or to you. What you are installing is a set of wires, nothing more. Take every reasonable precaution for safety when installing. Use good judgment and common sense. Installation of the Betty's Garage Grounding Wires do not necessarily void your factory warranty on electrical components in your car unless it can be proven that they are the cause of the malfunction. With proper installation they will not be.

Tools needed:
  • 10 mm socket
  • 8 mm socket
  • ratchet
  • short extension or a deep 10 mm socket
  • 5 mm Allen wrench

All bolts shown are 10 mm except on top of throttle body which is 8 mm.

1. DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE! You should always disconnect the negative battery cable before doing anything electrical on your car. Always!

2 Remove the engine cover.

3. The longest 8 AWG wire is to ground the throttle body directly to the battery. Connect the end with the spade terminal to the throttle body by loosening the small 8 mm stainless steel nut on top of the throttle body and placing the spade terminal underneath. Tighten the nut back down.

4. Run the cable behind the engine and through the wire grommet into the battery compartment. Don't connect to the negative battery terminal yet.

5. Run the second longest cable from the negative battery terminal through the battery compartment wiring grommet to the point shown in the second photo below to ground the battery to the chassis.

See that tiny black wire grounded here? That is what is grounding your headlights! Pathetic. Remove the bolt and place the end of the grounding wire on top of the black wire that's already there. As you can see from the next photo, one end of another wire will go here as well. Go ahead and bolt the second longest and one end of either one of the shorter wires here.

6. Attach the other end of the shorter wire connected to the chassis to the bolt shown here on the front of the passenger side of the engine.

7. Attach one end of the final short wire to the corresponding bolt on the driver side of the front of the engine shown here. Route the wire underneath the intake tubing and bolt the other end to the bolt show on the driver side chassis.

Alternately, you may choose to route the wires into the battery compartment by poking or cutting a small hole through this existing wire grommet as there is more room for them here than through the other one.

8. Attach both wires to the negative battery terminal.

13. Voila! You are done. Enjoy.

You will need to reset your windows since your battery has been disconnected. To perform a window reset, start your car then hold down the driver side window button until the window goes all the way down and then continue for another 20 seconds. Do the same when rolling it up. Repeat on the passenger side window. You'll may also need to reset your radio station presets.

Last edited by Black Betty; 03-04-2009 at 03:51 PM.