SouthEast Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN

North Georgia Mountain Run

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
North Georgia Mountain Run

Took the 37 out with a few guys from G35Frenzy and ImportAtlanta up to North Georgia for a VERY SPIRITED mountain run.

This was my first mountain run so I really had no clue what to expect. I honestly thought it was a leisurely stroll through the mountains. Lol... Boy was I surprised. In the group we had the following: my G37, 1 G35, 2 M3s (1 turbo'd), 2 WRXs, 1 STI, 2 Civics, 1 Accord. This was our core group. We ate up the twisties in 2-3 runs, stopping at the top of mountain for a review. Later we headed out towards Helen for lunch... More twisties on this run. I got loose in one turn... Eeeekk.. Close call there.

Performance wise, the G handled exceptionally well. Of course, I left VDC on. If I didn't the G would have been over the cliff on the first turn. I definitely felt the difference with the new H-Techs. Being a lower center of gravity, the G really hugged the asphalt in the turns.

We stopped for lunch in Helen and met up with a few others including a guy with a white Skyline R34. Meant to take pics but my camera was in my car and we had to park away from the restaurant.

Here's a few pics... at the top of the mountain where we all were. I had a BLAST!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Eastern-G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome pics! Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun -- unfortunately, not too many twisties here in NJ. For me, the NJ Turnpike's the closest thing
Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
nym37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eastern-G
Awesome pics! Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun -- unfortunately, not too many twisties here in NJ. For me, the NJ Turnpike's the closest thing
lmao, nj turnpike ftw
Old 04-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Yes... MANY MANY twisties. So many that after a few runs up and down the mountain, I was physically sore.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
nice pics... i did a canyon run to malibu and stuff today... it was a blast
Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
nice pics... i did a canyon run to malibu and stuff today... it was a blast
Nice.. A canyon run does sound like fun. Post up them pics if you have them.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:04 PM
quart

You probably were driving what is known as “the Snake". When I had my Miata I use to drive up to ATL about 3-4 times a year and do the route and end up in Helen. Did you start by heading North out of Dahlonega?

The route we took was I believe HW19 west and then grab HW60 and take this twisty road up to Something call Seekenah or Skeenhah Gap road and then take that up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and head east to Blairsville, then at Blairsville head back south east on HW129 to HW 180. Enjoy Hw 180 over to State HW 75, then head south down into Helen. Along HW180 is Brasstown Ball; the road up to that peak is a fun drive as well. The whole trip takes about 3-4 hours.

There use to be a website called Miata Drives, or something that had similar roads/routes listed that one could drive to sort out your car or motorbike. The area along the Georgia/Tennessee border known as Deals Gap is another great route. I have been trying to find the time to go up and do this myself. This website seems to be offline now….

A great weekend is to drive to Alpharetta up off GA400, get a hotel and spend Friday night, and then you can leave the wife at all the shops in Alpharetta and then disappear into the mountains for about 3-4 hours. Pick her up and then drive back to Helen, or if you wife has the stomach for it, take her along. Mine likes the shops in Helen as well, but after a bad experience in my Miata likes to do the shopping in Alpha while I am off driving… there is also an outlet mall at the farthest point on Georgia 400 as you come into Dahlonega for the squeamish to wait as well.

Sounds like you had a blast… I generally drive it alone, but you can always pickup a partner along the route; motorcyclist also like this route as well as sports car owners. Last year I did this route in my old M45 and found a Ferrari 599 to play with.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quart
You probably were driving what is known as “the Snake". When I had my Miata I use to drive up to ATL about 3-4 times a year and do the route and end up in Helen. Did you start by heading North out of Dahlonega?

The route we took was I believe HW19 west and then grab HW60 and take this twisty road up to Something call Seekenah or Skeenhah Gap road and then take that up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and head east to Blairsville, then at Blairsville head back south east on HW129 to HW 180. Enjoy Hw 180 over to State HW 75, then head south down into Helen. Along HW180 is Brasstown Ball; the road up to that peak is a fun drive as well. The whole trip takes about 3-4 hours.

There use to be a website called Miata Drives, or something that had similar roads/routes listed that one could drive to sort out your car or motorbike. The area along the Georgia/Tennessee border known as Deals Gap is another great route. I have been trying to find the time to go up and do this myself. This website seems to be offline now….

A great weekend is to drive to Alpharetta up off GA400, get a hotel and spend Friday night, and then you can leave the wife at all the shops in Alpharetta and then disappear into the mountains for about 3-4 hours. Pick her up and then drive back to Helen, or if you wife has the stomach for it, take her along. Mine likes the shops in Helen as well, but after a bad experience in my Miata likes to do the shopping in Alpha while I am off driving… there is also an outlet mall at the farthest point on Georgia 400 as you come into Dahlonega for the squeamish to wait as well.

Sounds like you had a blast… I generally drive it alone, but you can always pickup a partner along the route; motorcyclist also like this route as well as sports car owners. Last year I did this route in my old M45 and found a Ferrari 599 to play with.
That's it... I do recall the Snake. I can't remember all of them that we went on. Really fun time, but looking back, I pulled some pretty stupid stunts and maneuvers out there and it is a public road. Not sure how often I'll do this... at least to the intensity I did yesterday.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
G35Tuning

weak sauce...should have turned VDC OFF...

LMAO...Good thing ya made it home safe....Sounds like a great time...
Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by G35Tuning
weak sauce...should have turned VDC OFF...

LMAO...Good thing ya made it home safe....Sounds like a great time...
... Not for my first Mountain Run. Maybe next time.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 AM
rmk600

I rode Deal's Gap on my '06 GSX-R 600 and it was a blast. So much traffic up there though. And cops! The Parkway was better from Sylva, NC to Asheville, NC. Way better road. Well maintained. And views! You should take the G up that way for a weekend. Guaranteed awesome experience.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Yup.. I've heard good things about Deal's Gap. We ddin't see any cops when we went. I guess we were lucky.