Site Feedback & Suggestions For posting feedback and suggestions regarding MyG37.com

Some suggestions to improve Experience Points system

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Some suggestions to improve Experience Points system

Even though I usually ignore our experience points structure, especially when I lose 30 points for what I thought was a positive and helpful post this week, I feel somewhat abused. I also have noted other members being awarded points for humdrum and redundant posts ,e.g., “^^ haha I agree ” or other such post whoring gibberish that seems to be contrary to what the point system is trying to achieve.

In that regard, I have a few suggestions to improve the system:

1. First, the name “Experience Points” should be replaced with something else. After all, either a member has experience in a related topic or not. Nobody ever loses his or her experience or knowledge that they’ve gained through the years, other than through senility (I know some of you think I’ve already achieved that). Anyway, I believe we should change it to something like “Contribution Points.” That name better reflects the system’s intent in a positive way.

2. If #1 above is implemented, then there should follow through with no negative points. Punishing or scolding members regarding an inappropriate post should come from another source. If the post in question is not really helpful nor contributes to the thread then no points should be awarded at all.

3. The rules for assigning these points should be clearly spelled out and published in a sticky. I know the original announcement listed categories that entered into the calculations, but it still seems quite vague. To me, the current system seems to assign points at random with no clear reasoning behind it.

4. The Activity bar should be redesigned to display a red or yellow bar area for excessive posting. For example if someone (other than a moderator) posts 5 times a day or more their bar should be yellow. For 7 times a day it can be red.

5. I would also like to see the Awards section defined. Perhaps I missed it, but I still don’t know what most of those small icons under a member’s name are for, such as “Master Planner,” or “Second Guesser,” and what the awards are for in the Awards Showcase. The icon entitled “Captain” or “Thread Shredder” doesn’t tell me much.

I know I often hold a minority opinion, but at the risk of losing some “experience” points yourself, does anybody out there agree with some of this?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:15 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I think you're taking the experience system way too serious

It fluctuates a lot I agree, I believe it's still being tested (beta), hopefully Robb can chime in about it. It is no indication of how experienced you are though don't worry
Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
what privileges do the points system actually get u?
heck i just want to get over 100 posts so that i can post in the classifieds to sell my OEM stuff
Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
cliffs chekov? I've stopped tracking why I lose points and I think it's generally vague so no one "games" the system. It's not built to take into account useful posts etc. it's a statistics counter as I see it
Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by cereal2k
cliffs chekov? I've stopped tracking why I lose points and I think it's generally vague so no one "games" the system. It's not built to take into account useful posts etc. it's a statistics counter as I see it
If what you say is true, then the system is virtually useless and needs amending, which was my point.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:57 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
If what you say is true, then the system is virtually useless and needs amending, which was my point.
I did not right the book, it's just my thoughts on it. It's fun for what it is, but yeah losing point for no apparent reason (or known reason) I can see as
I just don't take it too seriously
Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Anyone here experiencing issues with the Experience System?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Anyone here experiencing issues with the Experience System?
No, not now that I've discovered a way? to eliminate it from showing up...

(I may have to periodically re-erase it, we'll see)

Hopefully this one post doesn't make it show up again!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:11 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Why don't we have a "Thanking System" like on G35 Driver? I think it could be a nice feature for people who create helpful posts/threads.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

I believe we first need to fix the problems with the experience point system. Currently, there seems to be no rationale to the points it assigns, nor is there any published guideline that would explain why experience points are earned or lost for particular posts. Furthermore IMO losing one’s “experience” via negative points defies logic as well as the meaning of the word. It sort of says, “You had a certain level of experience yesterday, but today you must have lost a few brain cells so you’re no longer as experienced.”

Some suggest it’s no big deal so we should just ignore it. Well, if that’s the case, why have it at all?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov

Some suggest it’s no big deal so we should just ignore it. Well, if that’s the case, why have it at all?
^ That's true... I never really understood the point of it. I'd rather have "thanks" or "usefulness" and "Trader score" is very important to me.

I would like to see progression titles ... for example:

1. Noob
2. Apprentice
3. Expert
4. Master
5.....etc.

[^ those are just examples]
Old 11-16-2011, 03:00 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Thing with Thanking is that while useful, it can also be abused, friends would thank each other for the most useless of posts etc..

It would require a ton of moderation
Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Doggy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
^ That's true... I never really understood the point of it. I'd rather have "thanks" or "usefulness" and "Trader score" is very important to me.

I would like to see progression titles ... for example:

1. Noob
2. Apprentice
3. Expert
4. Master
5.....etc.

[^ those are just examples]
That's a good idea. Or a logo to represent that.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:06 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
I lost 62 points for a legitimate answer, gained 12 for a dumb *** answer!!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
I lost 62 points for a legitimate answer, gained 12 for a dumb *** answer!!
Welcome to the club. I too have lost points many times while trying to be helpful or supportive, and I’ve gained points while being a horse’s a$$. There’s no published rules for points, and it seems to be a mindless crapshoot. (I’ll probably lose a bunch for this post.)

Quick Reply: Some suggestions to improve Experience Points system