Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New to Me 2011 G37 IPL

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Digilog
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New to Me 2011 G37 IPL

Hey folks,

Been working on getting my car for the last month, finally picked it up last night, and of course it was a monsoon all night. The track light was on an awful lot until I just decided it was time for it not to go off The car makes such great sounds.

I have been on the forums and checking things out look like a good group here, hope I can contribute.

Any other G/Z owners in the Kawartha Lakes area?

Thanks
Carl
Old 08-11-2015, 03:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Digilog
Hey folks,

Been working on getting my car for the last month, finally picked it up last night, and of course it was a monsoon all night. The track light was on an awful lot until I just decided it was time for it not to go off The car makes such great sounds.

I have been on the forums and checking things out look like a good group here, hope I can contribute.

Any other G/Z owners in the Kawartha Lakes area?

Thanks
Carl
Welcome to the site Carl, congrats on the Malbec IPL, bet you can't take your eyes off it
Look forward to any plans you have for it.
Brad
Old 08-13-2015, 02:03 AM
Digilog
Banned

More of an intro

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site Carl, congrats on the Malbec IPL, bet you can't take your eyes off it
Look forward to any plans you have for it.
Brad
Oh man, the looks just keep growing on me, finding new angles to look at it from that just look awesome. I LOVE my Car.

OK my long post below started ot ramble so Short story:

1.) Used to be a Car enthusiast when younger
2.) Drove a buddies G37 - LOVED IT
3.) Started planning to find one
4.) Dad long time Datsun Z fan/owner and was considering buying a newer Z
5.) Bought the new hotness and couldn't be happier

Long Story (feel free to skip):

I'll give my self a little more of an intro now I have some time. I have been a car enthusiast since I was teenager but never really had the cash to buy a proper sports car. My first car was a Mazda 323 DX 1.6L 84HP monstar lol. Although because they made the GTX rally version it had IRS which made the little car handle like a daemon. After the 323 I moved up to a Black 1984 MKII Toyota Supra. I have been a member of the Toronto Supra club for 15+ years. My Supra had cancer and moved on to the great race track in the sky in 2007. After that I had a smattering of disaster sports cars followed by Mazda Millenia S with the supercharged miller cycle engine for a short period. That car was amazingly comfortable but still sporty which realy opened my eyes to luxury sports cars. Then I bought a brand new 2008 Hyundai Accent which ended my dalliance with performance cars.

A buddy who bought a 2008 G37 Sedan for his winter "beater" (owns a M3 as summer daily) told me I really needed to drive it. I sat in the drivers seat and instantly felt at home in the cockpit of car like I hadn't in years and the sports car bug started scratching around my brain again, and then I was laid off when oil bottomed out (worked for an oil and gas company in western Canada). However in March I started back at IBM and the car fund started to accumulate.

I am starting to ramble so I'll try to speed up how I ended up with this car. Moving a friend last month I pass by a Blue 1976 280Z for sale on the road, I immediately called my dad to let him know (he had two 240's and 260 before I came along to ruin his car fun). Anyway we went a looked at it and the guy was asking 12K which was about double that the car was worth. So after a little research I found some nice examples of a 350Z for him to look at for not much more money and I really have him interested. So I decided to give him that little extra nudge back into a Z I'd have to commit to a Nissan make him drive and deal done

After some searching I found several cars but after speaking to my bank they said get a 2011 or newer to save a lot of money on financing even though I'd be spending 8-10K more on a car. So plug Infiniti G37 Coupe with manual trans and minimum age 2011 and 5 cars where left out of hundreds. 3 of those didn't have the options I wanted the remaining two were both IPL's. The IPL's were only a little more expensive than the other G37s unlike when they were new so the only criticism of the badge was price for value this was now moot and dead simple decision.

However I can not go an look at cars on my own or I would by the first one I found. Taking my car friends with me meant looking at all the cars in the class and man did they push me to buy a 3 series. I drove 330i, 128i, and 335 IS. The 330 and the 128 felt good and made great straight six noises (Supra goodness) but they didnt feel special enough, and the interiors hmm. Anyway then we all drove the 335 IS. It was fast we are sure it had the boost turned up, but the interior was so old fasiond the dash board was flat with some crappy plastic stuck to it, and the stereo was something from an early 90's jetta. It also felt like work driving that car. So finally I made to drive the IPL and just like with the first G37 I drove I felt like I was home, the cockpit just feels right, the interior is modern and classy and I have no real critisim of it at all. Yup that's my Car, now just had to work between the dealers to decide which of the two I was going to buy. In the end it was the Malbec Black IPL and man do I Love it more every time I drive it.

So Yesterday I swing by my parents house to take my dad for a drive and put the screws to him on buy that Z car already. Anyway it has been raining since I bought the car and is finally starting to clear up. My dad's not home from work yet so I take my mom for a drive who also wants him to buy a Z. We go for a nice tour and the clouds part and the sun comes out just as we get back and I get out of the car. I think I have had a stroke because my black car is now Bright Purple with Purple metallic flecks . What an interesting surprise, make sure next time you're buying a car and you read Malbec is a purple grape used in french wines, you really should think about that lol. Anyway I do really like the paint it was just a surprise.

The 20th Annual Supra meet is this weekend so I should have a few nice pics of the Car eating up some Supra's at the track

Carl
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Digilog
The 20th Annual Supra meet is this weekend so I should have a few nice pics of the Car eating up some Supra's at the track

mk3 and below.. stock
Old 08-13-2015, 04:53 PM
Digilog
Banned

Originally Posted by micafd3s
mk3 and below.. stock
True that, although MKIII's with more power have real issues hooking up (not that I have tried to drag a G37 yet) Back in Supraforums days almost everyone's signature said "Supra - Race ya from a roll" lol.

In seriousness I am going to have a blast win or lose. Anyone know of a G or Z club in the Toronto area. I am also curious what your experiences is on how the general populous of Z groups/owners regard G's. I wanted a Z myself but with two kids I needed some seats, and some luxury sure doesn't hurt now I am bit older.

Carl