Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2011 Sedan with Bose, Nav upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Elitoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Sedan with Bose, Nav upgrade

Hello Everyone,
I have been reading the forums and searching the interwebs for any info that I can find on a nav upgrade. The info that I am looking for is it a straight drop in? As the title says I have a 2011 g37 sedan with the bose system but no nav. I found out late in the game that I can't to A2DP with my phones or anything else. Does any one have any experience with upgrading to the stock nav?

Thank you in advance for any info.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:12 PM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What you want to do can be done, however, I wouldn't recommend it. Someone was selling all the components (wiring harnesses, ect) for $500 but I wish I didn't have the stock NAV. The reason is that upgrading your stereo system to aftermarket is impossible with the Bose/Nav combo. You will always have to use your Bose head unit in any aftermarket setup.

Doing what you are asking is possible but not for a beginner, so you need to ask yourself if you are up to the task or have a friend who is savvy enough to do it for you.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Elitoh

Thank you for the reply. So its not a straight swap? I had read somewhere that if you had the bose system in the car it would be easier, but thats about all it said. I really don't want to mess with the factory wiring, not because I can't but because I don't want to. Any alternatives to the bluetooth? I just wish I could even plug in my phone or another device and play music off spotify or pandora.

For the bose units, you can plug in the ipods but does it do all the controls?(I haven't searched for that so my apologies for asking before searching) Could it do like any of the music apps?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 AM
MistahGuy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "does it do all the controls" but with my iPhone I can control the songs (next, previous, shuffle etc..) with the steering wheel and dash controls. I'm in a '13 w/ bose, no nav.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Elitoh

Thanks Mistahguy, thats exactly what I meant. I figured that out yesterday when I plugged and ipad to the car. I found that it plays any sound coming out of the ipad as well.

Pretty bummed that my Nexus 5 won't work but o'well at least something works out of the box. Thanks for the help and the replies everyone.