Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New Lurker on the site!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Sal_Monella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Lurker on the site!

Hi All, I have settled on a prospect car, after a lot of research amongst 3 basic platforms (335x, E350\320 Bluetec 4Matic and the G37x) I have set my sites on the G.
Had a 350Z for a number of years and loved it.

I'm 57 and have been an avid sportbike rider and past racer.
Originally from So Cal. Moved to upstate South Carolina in '96.
Also have a house on the twistiest road in the N. GA mtns, so my interests are AWD, handling, braking and power.

I currently have 7 sportbikes, including 2 Italians and the rest Japanese multi's. I'm the type of guy that upgrades, adjusts and then adjust and or possibly upgrades again to get the motorcycle to handle correctly.
Like I said, I'm old and still fast with loads of experience.
It's kind of humorous to smoke past a bunch of guys on their sportbikes only to have them pull into an overlook and check out the grey haired pot bellied old dude that railed past them.

It helps that I know the roads and also know how to build\tune my suspension to match my style of riding.

I look forward to transitioning from 2 wheels to 4. Primarily because I know that it is not my skill, or lack of, that will eventually be a problem, it's the moron wanna be racers that will screw up and take me out.
Plus bones don't heal as well when a guy starts to get older.

I'll ask this in the correct section of this forum, but for now my question is this:
How large a wheel\tire combo will fit on the G37x Coupe and the G37s coupe at what non factory ride heights?
Is there a particular inset or offset that I need to watch out for?
Which tires offer the best grip and still manage to last?
My motorcycle tires are very sticky, it is not uncommon to go through 3 rears and 2 fronts in one summer. Plus they are not cheap, about $400 a set.
May not sound like much but replacing them at 1500 mile intervals can get a bit pricey.

My concern is not a large wheel for looks with such a small profile that I can feel a lizards tail when I roll over it, but rather serious grip.

These options and shock\spring choices will guide me through which model is right for me.

Thanks,
Sal_Monella
Old 02-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sal.

I can help with some of your questions and will leave some to others who know more than I do about it.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport are pretty much the consensus best performance street tire that has decent read wear. Since you have the AWD model, it's important to keep your circumference very close to the OEM spec. There's a tire/wheel calculator at the top of the page in the tire/wheel forum that you can enter alternate sizes and compare fitment relative to your OEM size. I'm a RWD guy so the AWD guys can better advise you on what sizes work best for the X.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sal!

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are exceptional. I strongly recommend them for every street application (except winter of course lol)

Continentals are a decent selection as well

Nick C.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:19 AM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
I have 295/30 20 inch rear wheel/tire combo but they are rather big and heavy, more for show than anything. 19 inch is probably the best overall size, if you plan to do autocross or drag racing I would go for 17.

Also Michelin Pilot Super Sports seems to be the default answer but I don't think they are the best bang for the $. I suggest Hankook Ventus V12 evo2, you get about 95% of Michelin performance for half the price and they will last twice as long. Anyway, good luck with you project car!
Old 02-12-2015, 12:58 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome to the site. I see people much more educated than me commenting on the wheel/tire setup so I'll let them do their work. I know Brad (blnewt) sent me a message with a bunch of wheel info in it. I can forward that over to you if it would help.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, I would look at a X coupe with the S pkg, it comes with much bigger brakes, tighter fitting seats (w/ more adjustment) paddle shifters, bigger wheels and a few other goodies.
As far as what wheels & tires, go ahead and shoot me a PM and give me an idea of wheel type that you're wanting and we can go from there.
Brad
Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Sal_Monella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks All,

Michelin makes one of the best tires for motorcycle use. A couple of my bikes are setup for only that tire. 120/70-17 and 190/50-17 Michelin Pilot Power Sports.
Motorcycles are fairly difficult to set up because one suspension setup may detract from another aspect.
If you get a chance check out some Youtube videos on carcas flex on motorcycles. The centrifugal force pushes the rim outside of the tire as it folds back under. The trick is not allowing it to fold under to the point that it breaks a bead somewhere.
Most novice riders run way too much air pressure and the tire does not fold under, it effects a much smaller contact patch and sooner rather than later grip gives up and they crash.

Now cars are very much different since the wheel stays close to 90 degrees to the road surface.

So it's going to be a long learning curve for me.

I haven't committed to the X yet. But I am leaning hard towards it for the launch potential. I've got an inclination towards a SC, at least until the engine needs a rebuild, then I could go with a lower compression piston and go with a turbo setup.

Any info on the bottom end of the VQ37VHR? I recall the VQ35DE had some bottom end issues when it approached 500HP.
Don't recall if studs and a girdle was the solution or was it a weak crank and rods (which is an easy remedy).
But the cylinder heads are very nice.

I'd like to run a 245/40-19, nothing bigger unless grip suffers.
It's my experience that wheel/tire weight is something that people routinely overlook.
I've heard great reports about the Hankooks also. Does Yokohama still make tires?

I built and raced econo dragsters in the 80's. You find out real fast that you just want to run the lightest, smallest tire and wheel that still just barely hooked up. As you all know wheel and tire combos are another flywheel effect horsepower robbing necessity. At least for driven wheels.
I've got carbon fiber wheels on a couple of my bikes and they make a huge difference.
The rotational mass difference is amazing on a motorcycle. The side to side transitions, stopping and of course acceleration.

So, who makes the lightest wheels for this engineering masterpiece?

BTW, I checked out the rim and tire size calculator last night, very nice.
Has anyone made a spreadsheet that considers ride height (spring size\rate) and tire interference with respect to offset and ride height?
It would sure save a lot of aspirin.

Thanks again, you guys have an awesome home here!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Lots of good thoughts mulling in your head
Should be an interesting journey.
As far as wheels, depends on budget and size, if you stick w/ 18s Enkei has some that are fairly lightweight and won't bust the bank. Works, Volks, SSR, come to mind for a quality, lightweight wheel up for track duty. WedSport another good choice. A lot of nice wheels show up in our classifieds but most are set up w/ pretty aggressive offsets and staggered setups which sounds like you're not wanting.
Look forward to seeing how this turns out
Old 02-12-2015, 08:12 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by serega13

Also Michelin Pilot Super Sports seems to be the default answer but I don't think they are the best bang for the $. I suggest Hankook Ventus V12 evo2, you get about 95% of Michelin performance for half the price and they will last twice as long. Anyway, good luck with you project car!
95%?

More like 60% but still a decent tire.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:57 AM
serega13

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
95%?

More like 60% but still a decent tire.
Seen a few tests including one by car and driver where the old version of Hankook was neck in neck with Michelin, and they now released a new generation of them, evo2 so I was generous when I said 95%. Hankook is actually owned by Michelin so they now use the same exact rubber compound, the only thing you get with Michelin is brand name. Is brand name alone worth $500 to a $1000 extra? I'll leave it to you to decide, some people pay 25k extra for porsche badge so to each their own I guess.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:08 AM
serega13

Originally Posted by Sal_Monella
Thanks All,

Michelin makes one of the best tires for motorcycle use. A couple of my bikes are setup for only that tire. 120/70-17 and 190/50-17 Michelin Pilot Power Sports.
Motorcycles are fairly difficult to set up because one suspension setup may detract from another aspect.
If you get a chance check out some Youtube videos on carcas flex on motorcycles. The centrifugal force pushes the rim outside of the tire as it folds back under. The trick is not allowing it to fold under to the point that it breaks a bead somewhere.
Most novice riders run way too much air pressure and the tire does not fold under, it effects a much smaller contact patch and sooner rather than later grip gives up and they crash.

Now cars are very much different since the wheel stays close to 90 degrees to the road surface.

So it's going to be a long learning curve for me.

I haven't committed to the X yet. But I am leaning hard towards it for the launch potential. I've got an inclination towards a SC, at least until the engine needs a rebuild, then I could go with a lower compression piston and go with a turbo setup.

Any info on the bottom end of the VQ37VHR? I recall the VQ35DE had some bottom end issues when it approached 500HP.
Don't recall if studs and a girdle was the solution or was it a weak crank and rods (which is an easy remedy).
But the cylinder heads are very nice.

I'd like to run a 245/40-19, nothing bigger unless grip suffers.
It's my experience that wheel/tire weight is something that people routinely overlook.
I've heard great reports about the Hankooks also. Does Yokohama still make tires?

I built and raced econo dragsters in the 80's. You find out real fast that you just want to run the lightest, smallest tire and wheel that still just barely hooked up. As you all know wheel and tire combos are another flywheel effect horsepower robbing necessity. At least for driven wheels.
I've got carbon fiber wheels on a couple of my bikes and they make a huge difference.
The rotational mass difference is amazing on a motorcycle. The side to side transitions, stopping and of course acceleration.

So, who makes the lightest wheels for this engineering masterpiece?

BTW, I checked out the rim and tire size calculator last night, very nice.
Has anyone made a spreadsheet that considers ride height (spring size\rate) and tire interference with respect to offset and ride height?
It would sure save a lot of aspirin.

Thanks again, you guys have an awesome home here!
Couple of thoughts that may help you along the way, X will definitely give you an edge at launch but certain aftermarket parts are not made for awd cars, also I don't believe they make turbo kits for x model unless someone will correct me but they do make superchargers for it, Stillen being one.

Regarding bottom end on VQ37VHR, it's a stronger engine than VQ35DE, I've had both and they've done some improvements, you can look in this thread for more details: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...omparison.html

245 size tire will be fine for NA but it will be severely lacking in grip if you go FI, you need 295 or 305 and as sticky as possible as you will be getting lots of wheelspin.

For wheels, I would go Volk or SSR if money is not an issue, Enkei if you are in a budget.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:29 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Seen a few tests including one by car and driver where the old version of Hankook was neck in neck with Michelin, and they now released a new generation of them, evo2 so I was generous when I said 95%. Hankook is actually owned by Michelin so they now use the same exact rubber compound, the only thing you get with Michelin is brand name. Is brand name alone worth $500 to a $1000 extra? I'll leave it to you to decide, some people pay 25k extra for porsche badge so to each their own I guess.
I've used the v12's before and currently have the PSS. Believe me when I tell you there is no comparison between the two as the PSS's are downright awesome. However, if just used solely for a street tire I can see why a consumer would pick the hankooks over the michelins as the price can be a big factor on a daily driver. With that said, there is a HUGE reason why there is a price discrepancy and that's simply because the Michelin is a better tire, bar none.
The following users liked this post:
Black Betty (02-19-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 12:54 PM
serega13

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
I've used the v12's before and currently have the PSS. Believe me when I tell you there is no comparison between the two as the PSS's are downright awesome. However, if just used solely for a street tire I can see why a consumer would pick the hankooks over the michelins as the price can be a big factor on a daily driver. With that said, there is a HUGE reason why there is a price discrepancy and that's simply because the Michelin is a better tire, bar none.
Replacing old used up tire with a brand new one will always be a big improvement. That's not evidence. This is: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...12-evo-page-10

Although this is evo2 vs PS2 in max performance summer. If you go for Michelin PSS vs Hankook Ventus R-S3, PSS is lightly better according to this: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test, you will get 10% more performance for almost double the price. If you are not pushing 600whp you are just wasting your money buying PSS IMHO.

Last edited by serega13; 02-14-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:15 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Replacing old used up tire with a brand new one will always be a big improvement. That's not evidence. This is: Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 Comparison Tests - Page 10 - Car and Driver
Umm, I was not replacing old tires chief, both were brand new in each instance so I have an exact comparison.

Although this is evo2 vs PS2 in max performance summer. If you go for Michelin PSS vs Hankook Ventus R-S3, PSS is lightly better according to this: Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested - Comparison Test - Car and Driver, you will get 10% more performance for almost double the price.
RS3's will not last as long at the PSS as they are geared for max peformance so that's very telling that the PSS are still better.

If you are not pushing 600whp you are just wasting your money buying PSS IMHO.
Unless you are only talking about straight line but as you know roads turn and for a street tire there isn't much better suited that on your daily driver then the PSS.
The following users liked this post:
Black Betty (02-19-2015)