Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VQ35 vs VQ37 Strength of Internals Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
StopTheExcuses

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VQ35 vs VQ37 Strength of Internals Comparison

I've been trying to do as much research as possible on how the older VQ engines hold up to under less than 10psi of boost as well as the internal differences between the VQ35 and the VQ37VHR. From what I gather the VQ37's make much more power per psi of boost but I can't find any internal engine specs comparison between the two. (Strength, Rigidity, Forged, ect). It seems as if I read somewhere that the VQ37VHR is stronger internally but I can't find that article anymore.

I'm really on the fence about getting the Stillen supercharger kit but I want to do my homework first as I pay about a $600 car note monthly on my G and I need it to last !

If anybody has some good links or some information they can share about any of the topics I touched on above, that would be great! Thanks.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 PM
IMFROMNEWYORK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600$ a month damn ..
I was looking into getting that SC aswell
Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...k-testing.html

Check out that thread. That's the only sort of comparison I have seen on the VQ37VHR with VQ35DE.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Me too haha!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses
I've been trying to do as much research as possible on how the older VQ engines hold up to under less than 10psi of boost as well as the internal differences between the VQ35 and the VQ37VHR. From what I gather the VQ37's make much more power per psi of boost but I can't find any internal engine specs comparison between the two. (Strength, Rigidity, Forged, ect). It seems as if I read somewhere that the VQ37VHR is stronger internally but I can't find that article anymore.

I'm really on the fence about getting the Stillen supercharger kit but I want to do my homework first as I pay about a $600 car note monthly on my G and I need it to last !

If anybody has some good links or some information they can share about any of the topics I touched on above, that would be great! Thanks.
You shouldn't be doing any modding to a car you don't own.

Additionally, if you're going FI, you should set aside enough money for an "oh ****" fund, because things WILL happen.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
He could be making a monthly payment for a car loan.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:11 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
From what we can gather the VQ37 can handle more power/boost than the VQ35.

With that being said, when anyone makes forced induction a consideration there should be other considerations made at the same time.

1) What is the intended use for the vehicle?

For some people, we will be the first ones to tell you not to go forced induction. For example, Travisjb over at the370z and I were talking about his uses for his Z. He told me that in the class he plans on racing in he can only make around 340-350 wheel horsepower. I told him that doing a supercharger would be kind of pointless considering he could get to 320-330 with simple bolt ons and a tune and to gain another 10-20 horsepower with a 6K investment would be kind of a waste of money in my opinion.

Along those same lines...When do you actually plan on using 500 horsepower? If you don't plan on going to the race track, chances are you will never use all 500 horsepower. If you only want to stretch the legs of your car every now and then on long fast open roads you might be surprised how enjoyable 400-450 wheel horsepower can be...If you plan on using your car in tight twisty canyon roads, again, 500 horsepower will more than likely be overkill and not to mention, you might have a hard time putting that power to the ground due to loss of traction...

2) Are my goals realistic?

I have seen some people say that all they want is 500+ wheel horsepower with stock internals and for the engine to last 200,000 miles...In my opinion, that is completely unrealistic.

Keep in mind that these engines make around 270 horsepower at the wheels...500 wheel horsepower is nearly DOUBLE the factory power output. That's just not a realistic expectation out of the stock internals. Don't get me wrong, 500 horsepower can be produced and it will last a little while...But, don't expect to get 200,000 miles out of the engine unless you never plan on getting into full boost.

3) What type of fuel am I willing to run? Reaching 500 wheel horsepower becomes increasingly more possible and safer as you run higher grade fuel. However, do you really want to spend $6.00-$8.00 a gallon for 200,000 miles just so you can have that 500 horsepower?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
what would be the first thing expected to go on an HR/VHR with boost? Would adding forged rods and pistons with slightly lower CR help make it past 100+K miles or is a full build necessary for the engine to last a long time?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:54 PM
StopTheExcuses

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike
You shouldn't be doing any modding to a car you don't own.

Additionally, if you're going FI, you should set aside enough money for an "oh ****" fund, because things WILL happen.
I think it's a little silly to say you shouldn't mod a car you don't own as I'm sure the majority of people on this forum do not own their car outright and have mods. That is of course if you leave yourself some kind of loophole. That being said, I have a 1989 Nissan 240sx in ridiculously mint shape (Check my garage on myg37) that I will be parting out to fund this operation. Selling everything I have off of the car at wholesale prices still nets me anywhere from 15 to 17k. That is plenty to fund my project and keep a little in the "Oh Sh$t" fund, wouldn't you say? And, If I don't go boost happy, what will happen? I'm sure replacing a belt here or there, or maybe fine tuning, but in all my years of boosted cars MOST of them blow up from too much boost or improper tuning. 8psi should be a cake for this motor with high octane gasoline.

Originally Posted by kyle@stillen
From what we can gather the VQ37 can handle more power/boost than the VQ35.

With that being said, when anyone makes forced induction a consideration there should be other considerations made at the same time.

1) What is the intended use for the vehicle?

For some people, we will be the first ones to tell you not to go forced induction. For example, Travisjb over at the370z and I were talking about his uses for his Z. He told me that in the class he plans on racing in he can only make around 340-350 wheel horsepower. I told him that doing a supercharger would be kind of pointless considering he could get to 320-330 with simple bolt ons and a tune and to gain another 10-20 horsepower with a 6K investment would be kind of a waste of money in my opinion.

Along those same lines...When do you actually plan on using 500 horsepower? If you don't plan on going to the race track, chances are you will never use all 500 horsepower. If you only want to stretch the legs of your car every now and then on long fast open roads you might be surprised how enjoyable 400-450 wheel horsepower can be...If you plan on using your car in tight twisty canyon roads, again, 500 horsepower will more than likely be overkill and not to mention, you might have a hard time putting that power to the ground due to loss of traction...

2) Are my goals realistic?

I have seen some people say that all they want is 500+ wheel horsepower with stock internals and for the engine to last 200,000 miles...In my opinion, that is completely unrealistic.

Keep in mind that these engines make around 270 horsepower at the wheels...500 wheel horsepower is nearly DOUBLE the factory power output. That's just not a realistic expectation out of the stock internals. Don't get me wrong, 500 horsepower can be produced and it will last a little while...But, don't expect to get 200,000 miles out of the engine unless you never plan on getting into full boost.

3) What type of fuel am I willing to run? Reaching 500 wheel horsepower becomes increasingly more possible and safer as you run higher grade fuel. However, do you really want to spend $6.00-$8.00 a gallon for 200,000 miles just so you can have that 500 horsepower?
Kyle, thanks for your reply. I'm VERY familiar with 400+whp (On a mustang dyno) and I know what I'm getting into. I don't have crazy unrealistic goals for this motor but I do believe that with a good tune, only run 8psi and change the oil every 5k with synthetic, I expect at least 100K out of the engine. 7.9 psi is not a lot of boost for 3.7L and 6 cylinders. I run 20 to 21 PSI ALL DAY on my stock (Other than cams and a Head gasket) SR20DET motor that I got from a Junkyard and I've had zero problems in 3 years after multiple trips to the drag strip, beating on it, ect. IMO, it's all in the Tune and maintenance. Do you think my engine longevity quote is possible?? If I get the Kit from you guys I will have my tuner that tunes my 240 make me a tune for 93 octane just as an extra safety precaution for the motor.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM
PennywiseG35S

These pictures speak for themselves: Rods: HR, VHR, DE.
The bottom end of the HR & VHR is alot more stout then the DE block.

VQ35 vs VQ37 Strength of Internals Comparison-hr-vhr-de-rods.jpg

VHR & HR block

VQ35 vs VQ37 Strength of Internals Comparison-a20080628014.jpg

DE block

VQ35 vs VQ37 Strength of Internals Comparison-de-block.jpg

VHR & HR block

VQ35 vs VQ37 Strength of Internals Comparison-a20080628015.jpg

Last edited by PennywiseG35S; 06-14-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
The HR and VHR rods look almost identical.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
SR20 compression and VQ37 compression are totally different.

That being said, it's all in the tune...

Keep in mind, cooling is a huge issue with the VQ37VHR. If budget were not a concern, I'd go as far as putting a VQ35HR top end on a VQ37 and run a full standalone capable of individual cylinder management
Old 06-14-2010, 06:29 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses
I think it's a little silly to say you shouldn't mod a car you don't own as I'm sure the majority of people on this forum do not own their car outright and have mods. That is of course if you leave yourself some kind of loophole. That being said, I have a 1989 Nissan 240sx in ridiculously mint shape (Check my garage on myg37) that I will be parting out to fund this operation. Selling everything I have off of the car at wholesale prices still nets me anywhere from 15 to 17k. That is plenty to fund my project and keep a little in the "Oh Sh$t" fund, wouldn't you say? And, If I don't go boost happy, what will happen? I'm sure replacing a belt here or there, or maybe fine tuning, but in all my years of boosted cars MOST of them blow up from too much boost or improper tuning. 8psi should be a cake for this motor with high octane gasoline.

Kyle, thanks for your reply. I'm VERY familiar with 400+whp (On a mustang dyno) and I know what I'm getting into. I don't have crazy unrealistic goals for this motor but I do believe that with a good tune, only run 8psi and change the oil every 5k with synthetic, I expect at least 100K out of the engine. 7.9 psi is not a lot of boost for 3.7L and 6 cylinders. I run 20 to 21 PSI ALL DAY on my stock (Other than cams and a Head gasket) SR20DET motor that I got from a Junkyard and I've had zero problems in 3 years after multiple trips to the drag strip, beating on it, ect. IMO, it's all in the Tune and maintenance. Do you think my engine longevity quote is possible?? If I get the Kit from you guys I will have my tuner that tunes my 240 make me a tune for 93 octane just as an extra safety precaution for the motor.
Keep in mind that little T on the end of SR20DET...That little T means that NISSAN knew that the engine was going to be turboed from the very beginning. Just look at the compression ratio. The stock compression ratio of the SR20DET is only 8.5:1. The stock compression ratio on the VQ37HR is 11:1. That is a HUGE difference which means you can't run as much boost. 20-21 psi is probably pretty normal and safe on the SR20DET. Running 20-21 psi on the VQ37 would result in a nice little window forming in the side of your block. Great to see the inside of your combustion chamber or crank case...bad for engine performance though...

Obviously I know that you know that 20 psi is unrealistic on a stock 370Z block but some people don't and I try to write everything to give everyone answers, not just the person I'm quoting.

In my opinion, just like you said, 8 psi is a good target for a safe power level that will go for a long time with a good tune and regular maintanence
Old 06-14-2010, 06:34 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
what would be the first thing expected to go on an HR/VHR with boost? Would adding forged rods and pistons with slightly lower CR help make it past 100+K miles or is a full build necessary for the engine to last a long time?
Full builds are absolutely NOT NECESSARY.

If someone wanted to go above 8 psi I would start recommending upgraded internals.

Realistically, I don't see any reason why these cars can't go well over 100K miles with superchargers or turbo kits...It all depends on boost, tuning, and regular maintenance.

If someone wanted to go over 8 psi and wanted to start pushing more power, I would start recommending forged, redesigned pistons, maybe thicker rods depending on expected power levels...It really just depends on what the customer wants.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Exige

LOL i love the window comment kyle

Quick Reply: VQ35 vs VQ37 Strength of Internals Comparison