Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

2013 G37S... hating it

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Nick, that sticker sure looks like a sport version. If it's got the akebono brakes, it surely has the rest of the sport components. Should really feel nice and tight, especially with the 19" summer only tires.

See if they have a used one on the lot, or maybe check out autotrader to see if there are any used sport coupes in your area to drive for comparison purposes.

If it wasn't for the required versatility of a sedan and lower price tag, I would of definitely gone with the coupe.

I've driven some technical roads at a decent clip in my sedan (with the minor mods below), including the dragon, cherohala skyway and part of BRP. The car felt well composed and in control the entire tire (this on 18" wheels).

I think the pulling you're describing is called tramlining (Tire Tech Information - Tramlining: Coping with the Ruts in the Road) . I don't recall experiencing that with the sedan on most roads. Maybe on some county roads that were severely rutted.

Edit: @cobra, that is the g37s. Look at the options column. His is an automatic version so it might be named slightly different, but it's the same sport package that's in the 6mt (except for the trans).
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 PM
NickIzk99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the decals on the car say G37S (S in a sexy red). And that tamlining issue is exactly what I'm talking about. The car will pull like crazy when I go over this section of the highway on my way home, to the point where the left wheels are in the median. It takes a lot of effort to correct it. Great article, thanks!

In other news, I got the stereo issue fixed!! I think this was pissing me off the most. But thanks to everyone for sending me the tips and settings. I changed it, retested some songs that sounded horrible and its no longer causing the muffledness! It sounds fantastic now, I can't even reproduce the really bad parts of some songs that were completely cut off before. So I'm pretty happy about that now. Thank you!!

As far as the handling issue.. there are 4 others at my work that have G's (2 older G35s and 2 newer G37 models, one of them being a last years G37S). Tomorrow we are going to test drive each others car and see if I'm getting the same response on her car. She thought I was crazy what I was describing to her. One of the G35 owners mentioned my car was raised abnormally higher than what he's ever seen. Like 2-3" higher to the point where it can easily clear a curb when parked which the other G cars would normally hit. Wondering if thats attributing to the bizarre bounce/wobble...

Last edited by NickIzk99; 10-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Shift

Originally Posted by sharkey
That's weird, I considered the g35 to be bland and outdated...
This. I like the G35 but the G37 still looks alot better and has a much nicer design (especially the rear). Its obvious when you dont like a car you will think of something small as a huge issue when in reality its not. Why buy a car when you explicitly said you dont like it? No one to blame but yourself.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The g35 was great 8 years ago, that was 8 years ago......
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 AM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
"Upgrading" to an IPL isn't going to change a whole lot, it's barley and upgrade after some minor everyday modding anyway.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DCook42
Mod it til it drives the way you like.
This is the way to think right here.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 AM
sharkey

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobra-2-G
that's the Journey version and not as awesome as the G37S, sport suspension, 19" rims, paddle shifters, etc.
Did you not look at the far right just above the asking price?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I could def be wrong...but Looking at the sticker it looks like its a Journey with a sport package added. That would account for the poor handling. I have the G37s Coupe and even before I lowered my car and added the sways, I was impressed with the cornering...I was especially impressed with the braking! There were settings that I had to change the on the stereo system to get the best quality sound out of it, but I'm def not disappointed with it.

Oh, and to say the car looks bland...is confusing to me. I constantly get complements on my car from strangers walking by, people at stop lights, and people staring when I drive by, and the appearance of my car is barely modded. I even had a guy on a crotch rocket catch up to me (notice tat I said catch up to me) at a stop light and tell me how tight my car looked and how equally impressive its performance was...and that was before any mods.

Last edited by Only4theGnme; 10-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Only4theGnme
I could def be wrong...but Looking at the sticker it looks like its a Journey with a sport package added. That would account for the poor handling. I have the G37s Coupe and even before I lowered my car and added the sways, I was impressed with the cornering...I was especially impressed with the braking! There were settings that I had to change the on the stereo system to get the best quality sound out of it, but I'm def not disappointed with it.
This is at least the second post like this. It is frustrating for people to be on an enthusiast forum and not even understand or know the packages of the car!!

A JOURNEY (coupe OR sedan) WITH THE SPORT PACKAGE HAS THE SAME MODIFICATIONS AS A 6MT SPORT! Suspension, brakes, steering ratio, wheels, etc. ...the ONLY time this DOES NOT apply is with an X Sedan. (Sport steering ratio does not apply to Xs coupe)

Last edited by Ibanez540r; 10-05-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Everyone has likes and dislikes. You don't like the G37S you don't have to live with it. That is the beautiful thing about America, we have options.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
This is at least the second post like this. It is frustrating for people to be on an enthusiast forum and not even understand or know the packages of the car!!

A JOURNEY (coupe OR sedan) WITH THE SPORT PACKAGE HAS THE SAME MODIFICATIONS...yada yada yada
OK!
I do appologize, I was only trying to help the OP(which unless I'm mistaken isn't YOU), but I did state that I could be wrong...and you have def proven me to be so...in "ALL CAPS" no less...
Might I suggest with regard to your "frustration" that a moderate dose of "Taykit inda Fayce" might help sooth your frustrations?? I'm sure you can get that over the counter...

You really know your "packages"!

Last edited by Only4theGnme; 10-05-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
A JOURNEY (coupe OR sedan) WITH THE SPORT PACKAGE HAS THE SAME MODIFICATIONS AS A 6MT SPORT! Suspension, brakes, steering ratio, wheels, etc. ...the ONLY time this DOES NOT apply is with an X Sedan. (Sport steering ratio does not apply to Xs coupe)
Ibanez540r, LOL.. Said the same thing in post #16. Good point about the steering ratio. Even I missed that Probably has something to do with the front diff. Turning diameter is slightly larger too (36.1' vs 36.7').

I think it's important for the OP to determine if there is a genuine issue with the car, or perhaps he's used to something more sporty and the car does indeed feel anemic in the areas criticized. Maybe meet up with some other local G couple owners with similar models and ride/drive in theirs?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Vic555
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
Everyone has likes and dislikes. You don't like the G37S you don't have to live with it. That is the beautiful thing about America, we have options.

I second that!!!

I got a journey AT non-spot. etc I`m old school! but I put eibach springs and I`m loving the car no regrets.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bet if you get better tires than the crap our cars come with stock you will start singing a better tune about the handling.

Shoe on some Michelin PSS and see how your car is transformed. The stock Bridgestones are really *that* bad.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Kkitten

I use to have an 03 350z, and i test drove the 370, but with the kids needed a back seat.. I have to admit I love my car.. told my hubby if i was going to have an affair id run off with the car instead of another man lol .. if you loved the g35 you might think of going back though.. i drove one or two of each the 350, 370 and the g35 and g37... .. personally i like the 2 seats by far better, smaller better handling (close but better) and i still have to admit if you have to have a car with a back seat.. this isnt a bad way to go...
but then again they make so many different cars for so many different people.. for example my sister.. *cringe* drive a minivan.. and well loves it.. not saying you shoudl go buy one..
but as long as it is possible and you have not committed too long in the state your in often you can return the vehicle... and go from there..

Quick Reply: 2013 G37S... hating it