NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

anyone planning on getting the iphone this summer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:44 PM
pdjafari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guys, its more complex than that. IT normally blocks the port for use with Remote Desktop (3389) in Windows .... You may not be able to use remote desktop..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

^^to change port numbers...but good luck finding an open port. Normally if they are THAT **** to block specific sites than they will know about RD...plus they should be able to see packets flowing across different ports. And although your not using their bandwidth to surf from ur home PC, you would be using theirs to establish the RD session

Last edited by pdjafari; 06-20-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:53 PM
terryw

rd or vpn, i assume the network people can and will see the activities, not sure if vpn activity is banned, if bandwidths usage is very low, they may not care. the main reason they called me was because of the AIM packets..
is there a way to mask the AIM packets? i don't think encrypting the packets masks them
Old 06-20-2007, 04:56 PM
LEK

lol man is it worth it? if they called you then i dunno. i guess thats already a warning...
Old 06-20-2007, 05:01 PM
terryw

lol yeah, ill call them to see if i get permission to use vpn or remote desktop for workrelated reasons if not i guess ill just spring for a QWERTY cell phone.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:02 PM
viscous_g

Originally Posted by pdjafari
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

^^to change port numbers...but good luck finding an open port. Normally if they are THAT **** to block specific sites than they will know about RD...plus they should be able to see packets flowing across different ports. And although your not using their bandwidth to surf from ur home PC, you would be using theirs to establish the RD session
port 8000 works for me

isn't the bandwidth for the connection to the RD session a pretty small amount regardless of what you're doing? i think i checked that before and even if you're doing all sorts of stuff on the home comp, the bandwidth used on the local comp is pretty small... either way, if they've warned you already, i'd be pretty cautious
Old 06-20-2007, 06:59 PM
tiblot

Originally Posted by terryw
yeah, chatting programs are banned by IT. thats why ive been running aim via USB flashdrive so it exist in the memory instead of the hdd. but our network engineer noticed my AIM packets one day and immediately called me to make me turn it off.

If anyone can offer any solution around this, itd be great. i dont think encrypting the AIM packets would help since they can still detect the packets, just wont be able to decypher the messages? Im clueless regarding network stuff, so i wouldnt really know.

use www.meebo.com or www.logmein.com

OR

setup a proxy at home
Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 PM
tiblot

i trying to decide between Q or blackjack or iphone. company found out i been running AIM off my USB drive , now i need a phone thats easy to use AIM with

I just got the blackjack. AIM is directly built in ... very easy to use

iphone is cool and all but freakin crazy expensive
Old 06-20-2007, 07:06 PM
LEK

lol yeah, ill call them to see if i get permission to use vpn or remote desktop for workrelated reasons if not i guess ill just spring for a QWERTY cell phone.
good idea. this girl was flagged for forwarding an email. and then after they talked to her she forwarded another email and they fired her azz on the spot.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Pratik

If you're in software development I sure hope they give you access to remote desktop! And even if they see an open connection they can't necessarily see your activities.

Either way I would never risk doing something like that just for AIM, especially if they contacted you about using it already once. It's not worth your job. Luckily at my job we have 0 sites blocked including p0rn though DOMODOMODOMODOMODOMODOMO
Old 06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
terryw

we cant use remote desktop , we use citrix for remote access, only helpdesk can adjust the options in citrix. but someone told me that theres a trick to run rd via citrix. i dont think id get fired for getting caught again, im told by my director that sometimes its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission and he knows that i use AIM. we arnt even supposed to install anything without IT's permission and them testing the software first. but ive been installing all kinds of SDKs and SQL server migration tools etc without asking. IT usually have an 1 eye closed policy when it comes to my group, but the network engineer people is sort of not part of the main IT helpdesk and admin guys.

... i guess despite it all i should still tread carefully... maybe i should just go the cell phone route anyway..

Last edited by terryw; 06-20-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:23 PM
terryw

after researching I've decided that im gonna play it safe and get a samsung blackjack via at&t tonight. Im really gonna miss the vcast vznavigator gps service from verizon and having service in the metro

not gonna get the iphone because it dosnt support flash and java.. and not going with the Q because verizon's ev-do network is slower and theres no native support to use it as a broadband modem on a laptop.

getting the blackjack because
1) i can install windows mobile 6
2) use it as a broadband modem tethered to my laptop to get broadband internet anywhere.
3) aim
4) i can get it for negative 75 bucks from amazon

does anyone know of any pda phone thats equipted with a GPS?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 PM
clokwork
Premier Member

you can do all of that with the BB and its java based too, but the amazon way would be cheaper for you getting the blackjack though.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:27 PM
terryw

which bb is it?

hmm, it seems the newest bb for at&t is the 8830 curve available for -25 bucks, unfortuantely it uses the slow EDGE network instead of the new broadband HSDPA. the speed of HSDPA is the main reason i'm trying to switch over from verizon.

Last edited by terryw; 06-21-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Stytch

the service plans for the iPHONE are soooooo retarded
$60.00 for 450 mins.
$80.00 for 900 mins. and
$100.00 for 1350

shyt I pay 79.99 for 1350mins. with verizon, so who's bending who ova
LMAO
Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 PM
imandresing22
is way gangster..

If I'm going to get the phone it's going to be the 2nd or 3rd tier. Let them fix some minor bugs, and add on little add ons that they're possibly planning on adding on in the near future. AND for the price drop lol. I'm sure after a quarter or two, the price will drop about $100 or so.

Quick Reply: anyone planning on getting the iphone this summer?