NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

anyone planning on getting the iphone this summer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:06 AM
LEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terryw
I am not sure regarding verizon because AT&T and Sprint encourages you to use your phone as a broadband modem, the phones have a special application built in for tethering the connection onto a laptop. Verizon on the other hand prohibits this in their contract, thats the main reason I didnt go with the Q. However I read that theres a 3rd party application you can buy called PDANET that lets you hack onto the verizon network. But if verizon finds out, they will charge you big time for violating your contract.

I think Ive also read that certain blackberrys from verizon are exceptions that have a tethering feature built in. I have no idea how to do it, perhaps john or khoa knows. But im pretty sure you dont need unlimited data to tether, but if you go over the data limit, its gonna cost ya big time.
hmm...doesn't answer my question lol

i have the 8830.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:11 AM
KlokDeezal

you will be able to play mp3 and aac as well as mp4, wma is not supported. after a while im sure there will be 3rd party apps that will alow you to run any format.
hmmm...well if that is the case, I might actually be getting this when my contract is up in a couple of months.

Just didnt want to pay for a phone, service and then the music/videos.

I wonder how much 'Korn' can you get on the Iphone
Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 AM
terryw

to lek:
ask michael jackson, dont yall have the same phone
Old 06-27-2007, 10:21 AM
ratm68

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEK
what programs can i use for instant messenger?

www.beejive.com . It just finish the beta teting and it's $20 or so. Allows you to log into msn, yahoo, gmail, AIM, and i think other IM application that i don't use. It log you in all at once and shows that you are online to other user. For some reason, i don't see my yahoo buddylist, which i don't really care for. But i do get my complete AIM buddy list which is good. You chat completely through data and not text. It's a good program. I don't know which BB it would work on, but check it out. It does have a 30 days trail. They are working to put more function into the software.

~Khoa
Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 AM
clokwork
Premier Member

Thanks for that info Khoa! I love that the phone is java friendly. There are a lot of really nice apps out there for this phone.

Lek - The unlimited data plan is the smart way to go imho. I am using my BB much more than I had anticipated. They coined the term crackberry and it lives up to its name. It's easy to tether the BB up to a laptop or computer. There is a Verizon install disc you load on the computer you want to use it with and hook the BB up via the USB chord and you are in business.

As for ringtones, you can use your own music as a ringtone. It's a beautiful thing
Old 06-27-2007, 10:44 AM
LEK

Originally Posted by clokwork
Thanks for that info Khoa! I love that the phone is java friendly. There are a lot of really nice apps out there for this phone.

Lek - The unlimited data plan is the smart way to go imho. I am using my BB much more than I had anticipated. They coined the term crackberry and it lives up to its name. It's easy to tether the BB up to a laptop or computer. There is a Verizon install disc you load on the computer you want to use it with and hook the BB up via the USB chord and you are in business.

As for ringtones, you can use your own music as a ringtone. It's a beautiful thing
waaaaaaaaaat you can?

wait so its verizon access?? thats the thing right? where it says if you want to connect make sure you have service plan blah blah blah? so basically its internet connect for your laptop on the go? whats thether mean?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:52 AM
clokwork
Premier Member

it means that you are able to use your BB as a modem to get online using your computer instead of the device. Pretty cool option. If you have unlimited data, you wont have to worry about those caution windows telling you about data rates etc..
Old 06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
LEK

Originally Posted by clokwork
it means that you are able to use your BB as a modem to get online using your computer instead of the device. Pretty cool option. If you have unlimited data, you wont have to worry about those caution windows telling you about data rates etc..
ok cool
Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 AM
terryw

wow some reviews of the iphone are in http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/32823
I cant believe this phone's data plan dosnt run on the fast 3g network, but it runs on AT&T's old EDGE network. where youd be lucky to get over 100kb/s download. This is a huge negative... I dont understand why its not a 3g phone.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM
KlokDeezal

wow some reviews of the iphone are in http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/32823
I cant believe this phone's data plan dosnt run on the fast 3g network, but it runs on AT&T's old EDGE network. where youd be lucky to get over 100kb/s download. This is a huge negative... I dont understand why its not a 3g phone.
Terry if read my post above, I stated this. Version 2 which is scheduled to be released in Sept/Oct of this year will be on the 3G network. And yes it is a really big negative for the phone and if people are smart, they would want until version 2 hits
Old 06-27-2007, 12:59 PM
ratm68

Originally Posted by LEK
waaaaaaaaaat you can?

wait so its verizon access?? thats the thing right? where it says if you want to connect make sure you have service plan blah blah blah? so basically its internet connect for your laptop on the go? whats thether mean?

as with everything else, LEK needs to set up a DIY day for this!!

~Khoa
Old 06-27-2007, 01:03 PM
LEK

Originally Posted by ratm68
as with everything else, LEK needs to set up a DIY day for this!!

~Khoa
haha so khoa can you confirm with what john is telling me?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:14 PM
ratm68

Originally Posted by LEK
haha so khoa can you confirm with what john is telling me?

I know i can do it with my Pearl as well. But on AT&T, the network isn't that fast so it's just faster to surf on my Pearl than to hook it up to a laptop. But it's called "tethering" or something like that, to make your laptop think the phone is a modem.

~Khoa
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 PM
terryw

hey khoa is the pearl a 3g phone or edge? im getting much faster speed on at&t's 3g than i used to get on verizon's ev-do network.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:43 PM
clokwork
Premier Member

Yeah, AT&T's speeds are gonna be faster. Do they have the same kind of coverage area?

Quick Reply: anyone planning on getting the iphone this summer?