NationalGClub National G Club - Operating for the DC/MD/VA G35's and Surrounding Areas

Howard County people

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
NoG4Me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howard County people

What's a good area to live in, even more importantly, what's a good area to avoid? Try and be specific, if you think a trailer park near the Village of Contrivance is bad news, go ahead and bring it up. I'm trying to find out where the crime does/doesn't happen, and things of that nature. I'm looking for a place out there and don't want to get screwed over by a realtor or leasing agent who wants to put a positive spin on things.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:48 PM
castertroy101

I dont live in howard county but i work out in columbia, and i deal with thousands of ppl a month from diff parts and hear diff things. I would def tell you to avoid columbia, just because ive seen enough bad things and the cops out here will rape you for no reason. Plus speed traps are a Biotch. Ive heard Clarksville isnt too bad. Ive been out there on a test drive and its pretty suttle and plenty of houses with wide open spaces. But what kind of house are you looking for town, single, apartment?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:01 PM
NoG4Me

^I'm considering all options. I get that feeling as well in Columbia. The reason I wanted specifics is because I think Columbia (maybe all of Howard County), has weird section 8 rules, and despite paying a premium for rent in a nice location, you could wind up with a drug dealer next door. Check out this gem from apartmentratings.com

"Orchard Crossing apartments is absolutely ghetto. I have only lived here for six months, and already I have been witness to a stabbing in the building beside mine, and numerous drug deals. There are constantly visitors blaring their music at all hours of the night, and the management practically refuses to do anything about it! My car has been broken into, and the parking lot is always covered in all kinds and sizes of trash. My family has been threatened for even attempting to contact the police....DO NOT LIVE HERE! (Especially if you are trying to raise children in a safe area.)"

^That was at a newer apartment building that has some of the higest rent in the area. I talked to one leasing agent, and when I said low crime was important, she changed the subject.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:35 PM
elau

Columbia is totally over priced. You will be better off elsewhere. I live in Piney Orchard (Anne Arundel County) just 10 miles East of Columbia. Very centralize to everything, including BWI and all major highways (I-95, Rt 100, Rt 50 etc).

Columbia has no police department of its own. It depends on Howard County Police Department which is essentially from Ellicott City. My point is, Columbia tends to advertise it's low crime rate, but in essence, they sweep everything under the rug to make the town looks good. Crime rate in Columbia is no better than any metro areas in the region. They are just not reported.

I used to live in Columbia. I hated it. People are snobby, they think their **** don't stink because they are from area code 24014.

The only good thing about Columbia is their school systems. If you don't have kids, then it is totally irrelevant, as it is my case.

Are you looking to buy or rent? Remember, they charge more in Columbia. Somewhere between the neighborhood $200 more on rent with the same size apartment. If you are looking for a house, forget it. Same house will be $30K more. I know, because I was in the market for a house before I moved out of that stinking town.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:06 PM
castertroy101

^what he said...but d*** so harsh....NOT...its all true....Ive worked out here 7 days a week and i deal with all types of ppl and ive come to always ask them where they are from to get an idea of the crowd around here. And ill tell you they are about as ghetto as it gets. Section 8 housing is retarded...3 million dollar house down the street. Take a turn and theres section 8 homes. These apartments are way over priced and just dosnt match up to all the hype. Your more than likely to get rob the first day than run out of toilet paper the 1st week you move. I suggest else were than columbia like clarksville or what eddie said down in Anne arundel. Anyhow, why howard county? Why not someplace else?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
brian2004

Come down the road to anne arundel with elau and i.Or go to elkridge .Columbia is getting bad.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:17 PM
brian2004

Come down by arundel mills .Towns and single family homes right by me 10 minutes from columbia.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Virge
straight to the bank...

I live on the border between cola and EC. Basically avoid living INSIDE cola. Clarksville/HC laurel isn't that bad and you can still take advantage of the school system. Of course house prices here are quite ridiculous....
Old 07-07-2006, 07:23 PM
brian2004

Originally Posted by brian2004
Come down by arundel mills .Towns and single family homes right by me 10 minutes from columbia.

You never said what you are looking for.Towns start at 400 and sigles go from 450-1million .LOL.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Pratik

a family member of mine got shot in a restaurant parking lot off snowden river by an asian gang.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 PM
castertroy101

^d*** thats fcked up....wait a min...wat asian gang...its just alot of koreans around here...a bunch of fake ones..but still thats messed up. Do you know what it was about?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Pratik

Not going into much details. I told some about it when it happened this past December. There's a criminal trial right now in the courts about it. Either way, no matter where you go there's crime. Can't do too much about it. The guy that got shot is alive but is paralyzed waist down.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:15 AM
ratm68

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I now live in Clarksville for 4-5 yrs, spent the first 5 yrs in the states in the heart of columbia then the next 5 in elkridge. HoCo is blowing up, so everything is overprice. It's probably not the best for a single person, cuz it's expensive. if you have to, live outside of columbia, ei clarksville and other outskirt of HoCo. HoCo, however is a great place to raise a family IMO, great school system and great mixture of people. That being said, there's still alot of ghetto folks running around, but that's usually around the columbia mall area, so avoid that location.

~Khoa
Old 07-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Jee_35

Originally Posted by ratm68
I now live in Clarksville for 4-5 yrs, spent the first 5 yrs in the states in the heart of columbia then the next 5 in elkridge. HoCo is blowing up, so everything is overprice. It's probably not the best for a single person, cuz it's expensive. if you have to, live outside of columbia, ei clarksville and other outskirt of HoCo. HoCo, however is a great place to raise a family IMO, great school system and great mixture of people. That being said, there's still alot of ghetto folks running around, but that's usually around the columbia mall area, so avoid that location.

~Khoa

I agree with what Khoa said, you should also consider Fulton, MD. It just started to renovate and new houses and businesses are coming in. Houses are nice, schools are also nice, neighborhood is quiet and nice. A little "country" right now, but give it a few years and it should be up and running
Old 07-08-2006, 06:41 PM
yacoub

my friend describes Maryland:

Face it, everything within good commute to DC or Baltimore is overpriced, and most areas where buslines and trainlines go are urban and therefore ghetto and therefore crime-ridden or waiting to become such. Only hope is to get a good job outside of the city so you don't have to live near it or save all your money so you can retire early and GTFO to the country where it's quiet and peaceful.

So basically grin n bear.

FWIW, my rent in EC zipcode near columbia is the same as it would be over in germantown were i used to live, for the same apartment.

Quick Reply: Howard County people