Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
tattoo400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag racing

Okay, I have asked this before but I got pretty vague answers. I am going to take my G to the track this week and even after a month of driving it....I am still having trouble figuring out the best way to shift it so that I don't look like a dumb ***. Basically I can get it to bark the tires into 2nd and I am able to launch it pretty good......my problem is that sometimes (most of the time) when I go to shift into 2nd or even from 2nd to 3rd.....the car acts as though it is "slugish" and there is no power (as if there is a rev limiter engaging) can anyone please tell me WTF that is all about? In any other manual car when I shift into 2nd or 3rd and mash the gas to the floor......the car GOES, where as the G just kinda does nothing. I really don't want to look like a **** stick at the track.....what am I not doing right when driving the G spiritedly? Thanks in advance
Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The simple answer is practice your shifts. If you shift slowly the RPM will fall too low for the car to stay in the sweet spot of the power band. Don't bump it off of the rev limiter, shift very quickly just as you are reaching red line.

Have fun and don't worry about sucking. I suck at drag racing (a circuit is a different story entirely). At any drag strip there will always be someone with a car not nearly as nice as yours who is much faster tan you. There will always be a guy with a really powerful expensive car who can't drive it for crap. You will fall somewhere in between and won't get noticed.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:42 PM
tattoo400

Yea, I have been drag racing for a long time and with allot of different cars so I have been "that guy" and I don't aim to end up with that dishonor again simply because I can't figure out the sweet spot on the G.......but your right....I will fall in between for sure and go un noticed if I do screw up....hope I do okay! Thanks man!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Basicly what BB says (I will assume you turn off the VDC). Otherwise you can just not take it to the track then you have no worries. When ever I go to a track, I never care about anyone else. I go out and race myself, work on improving. I am the only one I have to impress. Who cares if you look like an a** if you went out and tried then thats a start. With the way your are thinking now you have already beat yourself.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:17 PM
tattoo400

True true......my biggest problem is that I can barely see.....I went slightly blind in 09' due to a massive brain tumor and so I am slowly getting back into my life before blindness. I can see juuuuuust enough to drive to the track (no freeway) and blast down the track. This dilemma makes it impossible to quickly look at the tach in order to gain the perfect shift.......pfff, I can't even make a run down the track if the sun is to low in the sky. Point is.....I know how to drive and drag race......I just can't get the G figured out. I drove my Suby last time and it went well, save for the fact I red lit and had to fallow the Camaro that whomped me to the turn off at the very end of the track because I couldn't see where the turn off was for the slower cars (me) my time was disappointing and I don't want to screw up again just because I can't shift the G right.......
Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Originally Posted by tattoo400
True true......my biggest problem is that I can barely see.....I went slightly blind in 09' due to a massive brain tumor and so I am slowly getting back into my life before blindness. I can see juuuuuust enough to drive to the track (no freeway) and blast down the track. This dilemma makes it impossible to quickly look at the tach in order to gain the perfect shift.......pfff, I can't even make a run down the track if the sun is to low in the sky. Point is.....I know how to drive and drag race......I just can't get the G figured out. I drove my Suby last time and it went well, save for the fact I red lit and had to fallow the Camaro that whomped me to the turn off at the very end of the track because I couldn't see where the turn off was for the slower cars (me) my time was disappointing and I don't want to screw up again just because I can't shift the G right.......
Wow, if you hadn't described how bad your vision is in such detail, I would have hoped you were kidding.
It sounds to me like you really should not be doing any driving at all until your vision improves even more. The difficulties of driving you've described sounds like an unsafe condition for yourself and every innocent driver in your immediate vicinity.
I'm sorry to hear about your health scare and I'm sure you were very eager to regain your personal mobility once things improved. Consider waiting until your vision improves even more, hope it does, good luck.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM
tattoo400

I WISH it would come back....unfortunately it is permanent optical nerve damage and I am stuck this way. I can drive safely provided I drive EXTREMELY carefully and stick to surface street and area's I am familiar with. I can't just stop driving for good......driving is what I live for. This is every car enthusiasts worst nightmare but I refuse to let it take me out of the game completely.......I just do. Even half blind I can drive better than most of the people I come across,lol.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:04 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Yeah, there are some really bad drivers out there and most of them can see just fine. Be careful of course and good luck to you. Can't say I wouldn't do the same if I were in your situation...
Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 PM
tattoo400

Haha! yea for sure...thanks....can't wait for race day!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM
chlutz214
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
well if your sight is impaired than your other senses should be even better than b4. i would suggest learning the sound of the engine at its shift points and forgetting looking at the gauges, hear and feel the power. just get used to the cars feel and sound.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tattoo400
Okay, I have asked this before but I got pretty vague answers. I am going to take my G to the track this week and even after a month of driving it....I am still having trouble figuring out the best way to shift it so that I don't look like a dumb ***. Basically I can get it to bark the tires into 2nd and I am able to launch it pretty good......my problem is that sometimes (most of the time) when I go to shift into 2nd or even from 2nd to 3rd.....the car acts as though it is "slugish" and there is no power (as if there is a rev limiter engaging) can anyone please tell me WTF that is all about? In any other manual car when I shift into 2nd or 3rd and mash the gas to the floor......the car GOES, where as the G just kinda does nothing. I really don't want to look like a **** stick at the track.....what am I not doing right when driving the G spiritedly? Thanks in advance
IDK if these are for Manual transmissions, but I plan on getting a shift kit installed by summers end...I'm sick of the lag in the paddles.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Black Betty made a great comment..something that I noticed but didn't have confirmation.

The max power in this car is waaaaaay up in the power band. So you have to take it as close to redline as possible and then shift, then repeat for each gear. I HATE that you have to do all of that to get the power but it's how they made this car. Best place for mac power is in the middle range so that you dont have to look like an idiot on a regular street, redlining just to feel something LOL.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 PM
tattoo400

Yea that IS what they say but I don't know how much validity there is to that claim....I know I don't notice any better function of the other senses but I have to use the sound of the motor to determine the best point to shift gears....I will do my best tho.....
Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Your other senses don't become any more keen when you lose vision. You just rely on them more and therefore notice things out of necessity that you never would have before. I'm pretty sure your vision is good enough for drag racing if you can get a drivers license. As far as tach watching, when you get in tune with your car you can tell when to shift as much by the sound of the engine and feel of the car as much as seeing the exact RPM.

Good luck. Let us know how your times start to fall.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Just go out there and kick some butt! I am sure you'll do just fine.

Quick Reply: Drag racing