Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Autocrossing the Convertible and other thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Autocrossing the Convertible and other thoughts

Well I broke my cherry and did autocrossing for the first time ever. I've got a video but the video is of my first time ever which i got a 35 second score. Each run was 2 laps. The second run, i got 33.5 which is pretty good esp on a wet track. A GTR ran and got 30.8 and most people that were modified and good were getting 32 and 33 while stock cars were getting 35 or higher.
The handeling was great and very predictable. Body roll was not bad at all. I was expecting more.

The trip up there was 10 hours straight. With the sport seats I actually was able to get out of the car and was not stiff all over like i used to be in my maxima. I am extremely happy with the car. I even managed to get 21mpg which was awesome This is cruising at 85 - 90 mph as well. From Chicago to Carlisle, PA only had to fill up once. The GTM supercharger was great as well. No issues at all with it throughout the whole trip but it was awesome having that power there on the hills just seeing cars disappear in the rear view mirror.

YouTube - G37 Convertible autocrossing

DSC_0268 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC_0265 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
photos curtesy of heliochrome85
Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Jubbliepuff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
awesome. Thanks for sharing man! wonder if it would make a difference if the top was down... shifting more weight to the back will help with the body roll? haha maybe next time you should try one run with the top up and one with the top down and compare...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 PM
thedollardoctor
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for sharing! Do you have any suspension mods?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
They wont let you run with the top down unless you have a cage or roll bar welded in. Not going to do that.

No suspension mods.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Fez -
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a ton of fun and most importantly, you got to experience this all in a controlled & safe environment!

Originally Posted by Jubbliepuff
awesome. Thanks for sharing man! wonder if it would make a difference if the top was down... shifting more weight to the back will help with the body roll? haha maybe next time you should try one run with the top up and one with the top down and compare...
Top up car is 51/49 front/rear which is awesome for predictable handling. I don't think the top down would help that much.

Originally Posted by Fezzik
They wont let you run with the top down unless you have a cage or roll bar welded in. Not going to do that.

No suspension mods.
The G37 Vert is one of the few Verts that is SCCA certified to be on a track with the top down due to the integrated roll bar over the rear headrests. I personally wouldn't want to track my car with the top down but that is a different story.

FWIW - Hooked on Driving (HPDE) is having an event on Sunday 5/22 at Poconos Raceway and they are doing the long course again. I participated in this event last fall and it was awesome. Unfortunately, I can't make this event but I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone that wants to explore their Vert to it's fullest. They have several run classes and will team up novice drivers with experts that drive similar cars so the experience is totally relevant!

I think everyone young/old, it doesn't matter should participate in an auto-cross or HPDE event to fully understand the capabilities of their ride.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:49 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Oh, on the next outing see if someone can take some rolling shots of the vert on the track.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fezzik
Well I broke my cherry and did autocrossing for the first time ever. I've got a video but the video is of my first time ever which i got a 35 second score. Each run was 2 laps. The second run, i got 33.5 which is pretty good esp on a wet track. A GTR ran and got 30.8 and most people that were modified and good were getting 32 and 33 while stock cars were getting 35 or higher.
The handling was great and very predictable. Body roll was not bad at all. I was expecting more.

The trip up there was 10 hours straight. With the sport seats I actually was able to get out of the car and was not stiff all over like i used to be in my maxima. I am extremely happy with the car. I even managed to get 21mpg which was awesome This is cruising at 85 - 90 mph as well. From Chicago to Carlisle, PA only had to fill up once. The GTM supercharger was great as well. No issues at all with it throughout the whole trip but it was awesome having that power there on the hills just seeing cars disappear in the rear view mirror.
Very nice, thx for sharing... G vert is great car overall - for the $$$$$.