Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Streets of Willow Counter Clockwise results - May 1st

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:05 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Streets of Willow Counter Clockwise results - May 1st

Hey guys,

As some of you might know I had my second session with my G37S at Streets Of Willow (Counter Clockwise) yesterday.

2 months ago when was there again counter clockwise my fastest time (all stock - except Eibach Pro Kit) was 1:33.5xx

Since that time I have added a few modifications to my car and am happy to report an improvement in my time.

Mods since the 1st event.

-CBE
-Oil Cooler
-Hypertech Programmer
-Hotchkis Sway bars

Still on upgraded stock Potenza RE050A's (245/275)

My new fastest time was 1:31.8xx
Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<---- Other G37s at track

Sup Dan, after talking w/ you i went out for my final run and ran my G hard and went into limp mode so thanks for the heads up cuz i would have freaked out Other than that it was a sweet track day.

oh and those are some sweet times

-Pedro
Old 05-02-2010, 06:43 PM
DanMardik

Originally Posted by PeTeToTe
Sup Dan, after talking w/ you i went out for my final run and ran my G hard and went into limp mode so thanks for the heads up cuz i would have freaked out Other than that it was a sweet track day.

oh and those are some sweet times

-Pedro
Pedro! It was a pleasure meeting you. It was refreshing seeing another G at the track for once! Limp mode is a bit confusing at first especially if you don't know what the heck is going on. Glad, I told you to watch out for it. If you plan on continually going to open track days, I suggest you upgrade to an Oil Cooler. GTM has the best prices for Oil Coolers. I went with the HD kit which is their cheapest and it seems to be holding up just fine so far. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. See you on the track again soon!

That reminds me... I noticed during the second run of the day about 10-13 consecutive laps into it my car lost all pressure in the clutch pedal. Basically my clutch pedal dropped about an inch and a half from the floor and would only give me that inch and a half to switch gears. I let the car cool down and the clutch pressure returned. Anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen? I suspect it has something to do with an overheating of the transmisson somewhere along the line.. Anyone have any input on this?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
How were the temps?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:19 PM
DanMardik

Originally Posted by Mike
How were the temps?
Depends on what you mean. Weather was about 75 degrees (windy)

Engine temps were normal.
I don't have means to measure Oil Temperature but I didn't go into Limp mode, so I'm assuming pretty decent.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:01 AM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

hey Dan check this Car and driver article out, Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver,

thats y i was asking about the breaks when traking the G, i'm assuming the G's brakes are just like the Z's
Old 05-11-2010, 01:34 PM
DanMardik

Originally Posted by PeTeToTe
hey Dan check this Car and driver article out, Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver,

thats y i was asking about the breaks when traking the G, i'm assuming the G's brakes are just like the Z's
I've read the article. Even after repetitive laps and hard braking at Streets of Willow on different occasions the only real problem I am having is with warping my front rotors. It's very apparent that cooling is minimal to the front braking system because of the quick warping of rotors on the track, but I have not experienced nor noticed anything dangerous with the braking system.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:45 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
wow 1:31 at 'streets' with just a hypertech, CBE, and sways...and 1:33 stock with eibachs. my stock time 2 years ago was 1:38...ish...thanks for confirming how bad a driver i am...

lol
Old 05-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Should probably add that the biggest braking zone at SoW is about a 105-110 to ~45 going into the bowl (back straight) CCW, or the front straight braking into turn 2 (flat out through turn 1) CW at roughly the same speeds.

105-110 is a guesstimate, but I seriously don't see a bolt-on G doing more than 110 without serious prep. Dan is probably a better driver than I am too =X
Old 05-11-2010, 04:27 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome, congrats!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:26 AM
goomba

forgot the most important mod: driver experience.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 AM
goomba

Originally Posted by DanMardik
Pedro! It was a pleasure meeting you. It was refreshing seeing another G at the track for once! Limp mode is a bit confusing at first especially if you don't know what the heck is going on. Glad, I told you to watch out for it. If you plan on continually going to open track days, I suggest you upgrade to an Oil Cooler. GTM has the best prices for Oil Coolers. I went with the HD kit which is their cheapest and it seems to be holding up just fine so far. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. See you on the track again soon!

That reminds me... I noticed during the second run of the day about 10-13 consecutive laps into it my car lost all pressure in the clutch pedal. Basically my clutch pedal dropped about an inch and a half from the floor and would only give me that inch and a half to switch gears. I let the car cool down and the clutch pressure returned. Anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen? I suspect it has something to do with an overheating of the transmisson somewhere along the line.. Anyone have any input on this?
sounds like you boiled the fluid in teh clutch line. bleed it.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:04 PM
hgunner

Originally Posted by DanMardik
I had the exact same thing happen to me at the track. After cool down it worked fine? I will bleed and replace with better fliud and see if it happens next time.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:47 AM
koa789

Originally Posted by goomba
sounds like you boiled the fluid in teh clutch line. bleed it.
x2. I would replace it with something like Amsoil's Series 600 GL4 brake fluid. It's viscosity at normal operating temperatures is comparable to our stock fluid, but just be careful, in the cold, the viscosity does go up and it does get a little too thick, IMO. Perfect for track duty though, you probably won't boil it...but then again, with our clutch lines so close to the exhaust, you might get close.

P.S. Great times by the way, low 1:30s are pretty impressive.