Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

High Performance driving classes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
elMoi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Performance driving classes

I was thinking about taking a "high performance" driving class to try and get the most out of my new G but I wonder if the price of those courses are worth it. I looked around online and kind of narrowed it down to Skip Barber (http://www.skipbarber.com/driving_sc...ng_school.aspx) and Bob Bondurant (http://www.bondurant.com/courses/courses.php#hpd) but I wanted to see if anyone here had taken a class like this at one of these schools or somewhere else. Was it worth it? Did you come out a better driver in terms of performance and handling?

I found a few others through this article on Motor Trend:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...nks/index.html
Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 PM
dean2900

Originally Posted by elMoi
I was thinking about taking a "high performance" driving class to try and get the most out of my new G but I wonder if the price of those courses are worth it. I looked around online and kind of narrowed it down to Skip Barber (http://www.skipbarber.com/driving_sc...ng_school.aspx) and Bob Bondurant (http://www.bondurant.com/courses/courses.php#hpd) but I wanted to see if anyone here had taken a class like this at one of these schools or somewhere else. Was it worth it? Did you come out a better driver in terms of performance and handling?

I found a few others through this article on Motor Trend:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...nks/index.html
I dont know the best in your area but let me congratulate you on taking such a step!

I believe almost everyone should take a performance driving test and you shoudl get a break on your insurance for taking the advanced classes.

I had done some AutoX before I had taken the performance driving classes and thought I knew most of it. That was not the case. They teach you a lot of great techniques and ones that can used in everyday driving that could help safe your life if the conditions are right.

Please post comments after you take the class. I am sure plenty of others would be interested in hearing your take!

Dean
Old 07-20-2008, 11:59 PM
elMoi

thanks for the feedback. I'm still not sure if I'm going to go ahead with it since they're about $2k for a day or two of class. But if I do, I'll post back with how it went.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've heard nothin but GREAT THINGS about Skip Barber...
Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Those two you listed are two of the best out there. You can get as much out of it as you're willing to learn. Good luck. Even though it's a lot of money I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 AM
nonsensez9

ideally you'll want a bring-your-own-car school so that you will learn how your car handles and how to extract the most from it. I attended one a few weeks ago (Vancouver, BC) and was the time of my life. (I don't have a G....yet)
Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
JDO

Skip Barber High Performance Driving School

Hey all,

I am a proud G37 owner and also a proud employee of Skip Barber Racing School!! The Skip Barber High Performance Driving School was started 2 1/2 years ago and has become one of our most popular programs. It is offered in One and Two day formats and teaches vehicle dynamics, skid control, threshold braking, heal/toe downshifting, accident avoidance, and ends with time on the race track.

Students begin with a classroom chalk talk, skid pad, and autocrossing exercises and then move to the track where all of the skills come together. We use a variety of vehicles in the school including 911's, Caymans, Boxsters, 3 series BMWs, and the Lexus IS-F, with new vehicle makes being added frequently. Additionally, you can bring your own car to the school to see how it stacks up to the others..

Schools are offered at our various base locations including Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, Lime Rock Park in Connecticut, Road Atlanta, and Sebring Raceway in Florida, depending on time of year. All are world class roadracing courses where we run our racing schools. All schools are taught by the same world class instructors that teach our racing school programs.

I've taken the school myself, and I must say that it is an eye-opening experience and really allows you to get the most out of a high performance vehicle (and yes, there is no doubt that our G37's are high performance vehicles). You'll become a much smoother driver at greater speed. The heal/toe exercise will help with corner entry and exit speeds, and the skills learned on the skid pad really teach you how to compensate for over/understeer as well as how to avoid an accident.

We'd love to have you come out and check out the school. Give us a call at 1-800-221-1131 where our school advisors can answer your questions and book you into a school. You can also sign up online at www.skipbarber.com

Thanks!!!!!

Jeff
Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 PM
dean2900

+1 on Jeff's post. Even though it is performance oriented, it will teach you be safer and more defensive also.

This almost should be mandatory on any high horsepower RWD car IMO!

Dean
Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
hgunner

Originally Posted by dean2900
+1 on Jeff's post. Even though it is performance oriented, it will teach you be safer and more defensive also.

This almost should be mandatory on any high horsepower RWD car IMO!

Dean
It is on some including the new ZR-1, so I have read.

+1 on Jeff's post also!

I don't have any experience with Skip Barber, but have heard good things about it.
Here in the southeast I have done some HPDE events with PCA (Porsche club) and Chin motorsports. All the HPDE events I have been to offer excellent class room training and instructors in the car for those who need it (you really do need it the first few events). Other clubs also do regular events and maybe more inexpensive.

Warning though: It is addictive!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 PM
nonsensez9

Originally Posted by JDO
Hey all,

Schools are offered at our various base locations including Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, Lime Rock Park in Connecticut, Road Atlanta, and Sebring Raceway in Florida, depending on time of year. All are world class roadracing courses where we run our racing schools. All schools are taught by the same world class instructors that teach our racing school programs.

Thanks!!!!!

Jeff

I'd sign up just to drive the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. I just might do that in Feb. or March
Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 PM
JDO

Laguna Rocks!!!

I did our (Skip Barber's) 3 day racing school there in our formula cars. The track is amazing and the whole place is just a great facility. The track has a ton of elevation change in the back section and is famous for the Corkscrew, as you probably know already.

The skid pad and autocross there are in fantastic shape also, which is where you will start the exercises in the High Performance Driving School. The instructors out there are a really cool bunch of guys with impressive pro racing resumes. We started the High Performance Driving School there, and they love teaching it.

Hope to see you there!!!!

Jeff