MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Help G37 tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
GFN. Thats super cool!. What sets the settings apart?
Does the cabling and switch come with?
Old 12-27-2013, 03:16 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
GFN. Thats super cool!. What sets the settings apart? Does the cabling and switch come with?
I got my car professionally tuned, instead of a road tune. I'm not sure of the process for that, sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I had a cable. My tuner has a cable and puts the car back on his dyno whenever I want a retune.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
GFN. Thats super cool!. What sets the settings apart? Does the cabling and switch come with?
The settings are:

Regular tuned map for most driving
Valet mode-rev limiter at 4000rpm, and 30mph
Anti theft mode-shuts car off and prevents the ignition from striking even with the key in the car. You have to flip some switches to turn this off before starting the car.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:06 PM
samuel1021
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
My knowledge is still pretty lacking in the area of tuning. All I've ever heard is that tuning doesn't make sense if you're NA, but apparently I'm wrong.

I have the TopSpeed Pro1 exhaust, Takeda SRIs, and am looking to get HFCs in the near future, and what I'm gathering is that by tuning my car, it will improve the responsiveness/air flow/etc.

My next question is how exactly is the car tuned?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by samuel1021
My knowledge is still pretty lacking in the area of tuning. All I've ever heard is that tuning doesn't make sense if you're NA, but apparently I'm wrong. I have the TopSpeed Pro1 exhaust, Takeda SRIs, and am looking to get HFCs in the near future, and what I'm gathering is that by tuning my car, it will improve the responsiveness/air flow/etc. My next question is how exactly is the car tuned?
Any significant performance modification to your car will require a tune. This lets the tuner modify the second by second air fuel ratio so your ECU can take advantage of the denser air (CAI) or less back pressure (HFCS or Exhaust).

For this car, there is no chip. You can reprogram or replace the entire onboard computer. Most people opt to reprogram the existing ECU. A tuner will plug in to the OBD II port and use a particular company's proprietary software to crack the programming and allow an aftermarket map to be laid on top of your OEM programming. He will then use a laptop and a dyno to put the car through it's paces and teach the ECU how to react to the new power train.

Most people (myself included) prefer Uprev's Osiris tune.

Hope that helps. Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
samuel1021 (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:35 PM
samuel1021
Registered Member

Thanks for the insight, GFN. That definitely gave me a little more of an understanding.

I'm currently on the 370Z forum reading about MA inspection stations will fail you for being tuned since your ECU will be flagged on the inspection machine as changed. Wtf. Anyone from MA have some insight about this?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:57 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Thanks for the insight, GFN. That definitely gave me a little more of an understanding. I'm currently on the 370Z forum reading about MA inspection stations will fail you for being tuned since your ECU will be flagged on the inspection machine as changed. Wtf. Anyone from MA have some insight about this?

If that is the case, you can take it to your tuner, get your car tuned, and have him save the map. He can uninstall the tune and revert back to stock, you can get your inspection, and bring it back for him to retune. He won't need to put it on his dyno. Takes 10 minutes. My tuner offered this service for free in the event I need warranty work done.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:15 PM
samuel1021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
If that is the case, you can take it to your tuner, get your car tuned, and have him save the map. He can uninstall the tune and revert back to stock, you can get your inspection, and bring it back for him to retune. He won't need to put it on his dyno. Takes 10 minutes. My tuner offered this service for free in the event I need warranty work done.
What I'm reading on the other thread is that even if you revert it back to stock mapping, the inspection machine will still recognize that the ECU has been altered. Regardless of it being a dealership's doing, or a tuning shop's doing.

Ugh.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:19 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

What I'm reading on the other thread is that even if you revert it back to stock mapping, the inspection machine will still recognize that the ECU has been altered. Regardless of it being a dealership's doing, or a tuning shop's doing. Ugh.
Is that illegal in Massachusettes? It seems odd that they would automatically fail any ECU modification.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:35 PM
samuel1021
Registered Member

"No, Uprev cannot get CARB approval for the software alone. This is why even stock cars with no tune manipulation fail. Each specific tune that is CARB approved is given a CVN (Calibration Verification Number). When the ecu is checked it must match a CVN in the C.A.R.B. database, No match... No pass."

Apparently that's how it works in Massachusetts.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:37 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

"No, Uprev cannot get CARB approval for the software alone. This is why even stock cars with no tune manipulation fail. Each specific tune that is CARB approved is given a CVN (Calibration Verification Number). When the ecu is checked it must match a CVN in the C.A.R.B. database, No match... No pass." Apparently that's how it works in Massachusetts.
Wooooooow. Sucks, guys.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:42 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Wooooooow. Sucks, guys.
Move to Florida! Half of the beaters tearing up the streets are chugging out black and blue smoke.

I thought that you could request one of the five maps (UPREV) to be your stock tune therefore not needing the ECU reflashed before heading to the dealership for warranty work?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by warped ideas
Move to Florida! Half of the beaters tearing up the streets are chugging out black and blue smoke. I thought that you could request one of the five maps (UPREV) to be your stock tune therefore not needing the ECU reflashed before heading to the dealership for warranty work?
Or Oklahoma, no inspection required.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:55 AM
samuel1021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by warped ideas
I thought that you could request one of the five maps (UPREV) to be your stock tune therefore not needing the ECU reflashed before heading to the dealership for warranty work?
A lot of people mentioned that, but as I said, apparently the inspection machine will recognize that your ECU has been altered and reset, which will trigger a fail.

And I've actually been talking to a buddy of mine who has a Nismo Z34 with the UpRev tune and he's saying he's passed MA inspection twice now with the tune.

So confusing.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
A lot of people mentioned that, but as I said, apparently the inspection machine will recognize that your ECU has been altered and reset, which will trigger a fail.

And I've actually been talking to a buddy of mine who has a Nismo Z34 with the UpRev tune and he's saying he's passed MA inspection twice now with the tune.

So confusing.
Yeah man, sometimes it's hard to find good info. Just keep digging until your comfortable you have the answers. That's what I do.

Quick Reply: Help G37 tune?