MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Stillen cat back exhaust and gen 3 intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
alanz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stillen cat back exhaust and gen 3 intake

Hi all,

I got my 2012 g37xs sedan two weeks ago and so far I've only put 300 miles on it, but I am already thinking about adding stillen cat back exhaust and gen 3 intake. I've never done modding in the past so I am noob I have the following questions:

1. Am I too early to mod the car? Should I wait after break in(1000 miles)?
2. Will the mods void the warranty?
3. Will the current stillen cat back exhaust part #504377 fit 2012 sedan?
4. Will the current gen 3 intake part #402847 fit 2012 sedan? Looks like they all will but I want to make sure.
5. I am a handy guy do you recommend self installation or install by the dealer?
6. How many hp am I looking to gain?

Any comment is welcome . Thanks.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM
alanz
Registered Member

Anybody?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
There's already a lot of info on this forum for stillen intake and exhaust. Do some searching and you'll find a lot of info. Here is one thread to get you started:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ust-combo.html

1. There's not really a too early for modding. But waiting after the breakin period might be a good idea.
2. Mods do not void the warranty. However, the dealership can refuse you service if they determine that the problem is caused by your mods. There are "mod friendly" dealerships and dealerships that wont touch your car if it's modified.
3 + 4. You're better off calling Stillen to get the answer.
5. I always recommend people to DIY, but that's just me.
6. Variable. Probably 10-15 whp depending on the dyno.

Dont limit yourself to one brand. Research and compare the different options.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
alanz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Modme
There's already a lot of info on this forum for stillen intake and exhaust. Do some searching and you'll find a lot of info. Here is one thread to get you started:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ust-combo.html

1. There's not really a too early for modding. But waiting after the breakin period might be a good idea.
2. Mods do not void the warranty. However, the dealership can refuse you service if they determine that the problem is caused by your mods. There are "mod friendly" dealerships and dealerships that wont touch your car if it's modified.
3 + 4. You're better off calling Stillen to get the answer.
5. I always recommend people to DIY, but that's just me.
6. Variable. Probably 10-15 whp depending on the dyno.

Dont limit yourself to one brand. Research and compare the different options.
Thanks. I did ran into the post you mentioned and after reading that I am more confident that I will go with Stillen CAI & CBE combo. As matter of fact I just called up the parts depot at the dealer and they gave me a quote of $2100 installed. I know it's ridiculous price but I don't know if the buy CBE get CAI free deal is still going on on Stillen, otherwise I will totally go with the DIY route. However they told me the mods won't void the warranty and those parts will fit 2012. Unfortunately, they won't do tuning after the installation.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 PM
beattyG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you getting high flow cats too? Just had my stillen cutback installed with Z1 HFC's and tuned. Installed my gen3 about a year ago.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 AM
alanz
Registered Member

I am worrying that the mod combos will be unsafe without tuning. I am having hard time finding a tuner in my area.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:05 AM
alanz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by beattyG37
Are you getting high flow cats too? Just had my stillen cutback installed with Z1 HFC's and tuned. Installed my gen3 about a year ago.
Sweet, I didn't plan on HFC.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by alanz
I am worrying that the mod combos will be unsafe without tuning. I am having hard time finding a tuner in my area.
With just the two, you'll be fine. I've been running them for about 4 months now with no issues. I'll get a tune though, when I install some HFCs. The install took me around 7-8 hours for both. I wouldn't recommend this install if your not used to working on cars.

Also don't worry about taking the bumper off to avoid scratching your tubes if you don't know how to. Afterwards you can sand, polish, and buff them away.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:13 AM
alanz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dj1ofDet
With just the two, you'll be fine. I've been running them for about 4 months now with no issues. I'll get a tune though, when I install some HFCs. The install took me around 7-8 hours for both. I wouldn't recommend this install if your not used to working on cars.

Also don't worry about taking the bumper off to avoid scratching your tubes if you don't know how to. Afterwards you can sand, polish, and buff them away.
Thank you for the comment. I just called the manager of the parts department of the dealer and he told me not to worry about the combo either and he even made a call to Stillen to confirm this. He also told me not to get the HFC before the warranty expires because the stock cat is on the warranty.

Can you feel the power gain from the these two mods? Any MPG increase or decrease?

I've worked with car before(installed new bumper & brush guard stuff like that), I can installed those myself but I am not trying to save some money here I am trying to save some time. So I ordered the parts from the dealer today(again I could order them myself) and will schedule the installation when they come in next week.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by alanz
He also told me not to get the HFC before the warranty expires because the stock cat is on the warranty.
You do know the stock cats are under warranty for 100K miles? Right??
Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I can't say that there was a huge MPG gain, but the car does pull across the power band more smoothly. I did gain 2 MPG, but summertime traffic is a bit lighter around here. Once I get tuned up, the real power benefits will be seen.

Last edited by Dj1ofDet; 06-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.