MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Grounding wires recommendation needed, since blackbetty no longer available =(

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Grounding wires recommendation needed, since blackbetty no longer available =(

So I just got a 2012 g37s sedan 2 weeks ago and have been lurking in the forums since. It has all the sport, nav, premium packages, 7at, graphite color with black interior. I came from a 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L double cab I had modified nicely with a small lift, 33's, intake, exhaust, etc... Big change going to the G, it's much more fun to drive around the corners and more comfortable, about the same in a straight line (tundra was running about 400hp, 415lb ft tq with mods).

Anyway, I came across the grounding wire threads and read most all I could find. Seemed people were really happy with them on the Auto tranny so I wanted to get a set. Read through all 30+ pages on the blackbetty wires and was ready to order some, sent Jeremy an email and turns out he no longer makes them

The only other kit I can seem to find is the Stillen kit, and it's considerably more expensive and doesn't seem to be as highly regarded (maybe price and install time vs benefit). I liked that the blackbetty kit contained fewer wires and only took 30 mins or so to install vs the 3+ hours to do these 10 and 11 wire kits going through the glovebox etc...

So my question is, is there anything still available similar to the blackbetty kit?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Make your own.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-your-own.html

It's really easy and if you take tour time, comes out really nice.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
DIY.

I am Black Betty and I approve this message.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
xzeus
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O wow, didn't know BB stop making ground wires. I've been lurking at these myself. I guess if i do consider wires, gotta lean towards DIY.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

That's correct, I'm not making or selling them anymore. If there were more buyers and fewer lurkers, I would still be making them.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Guess I'll give making my own a shot, I have all the tools to make it, just need to purchase the wire and connectors. I think I'll try and do a combo/hybrid between those instructions and the picture Blackbetty had posted up on his thread like you did Mattster.

Thanks for the link!

I figure I'll wait till I get past the break-in period on my car before trying the DIY, but if you decide to make a few more sets blackbetty I'd still be in line to purchase one!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Rad_Slinger

Originally Posted by BLamb
Guess I'll give making my own a shot, I have all the tools to make it, just need to purchase the wire and connectors. I think I'll try and do a combo/hybrid between those instructions and the picture Blackbetty had posted up on his thread like you did Mattster.

Thanks for the link!

I figure I'll wait till I get past the break-in period on my car before trying the DIY, but if you decide to make a few more sets blackbetty I'd still be in line to purchase one!
It's seriously easy.

Advice:

1. Clamp the connections in a vice. I did this and they were very secure.
2. Use shrink tubing and a heat gun. Protects the end of the wire better than that little squishy end cap that the rings come with.
3. Using gold rings is a waste of money.
4. Add an extra 1" to 2" onto the measurements for the lengths of the wires in that thread. This gives yourself some mistake room and allows you to change the locations a little if you choose.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips!

Which connection did you tie into for the wires going to the throttle body on the drivers side? Any reason why you didn't go to the passenger throttle body as well? I'd prefer to keep it as minimal as possible, so if the throttle body wires don't do much I'll probably just leave them off.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Rad_Slinger

i did both throttle bodies, but i did not do the attachment poing behind the dipstick. i also did the 3 connections in BB's set on the drivers strut tower(the link i provided only had 2). i did a 4 wire set total (1 triple, 1 double, and 2 singles.)

if you zip tie the wires you can't even see it. if i took a picture of my engine, you'd MAYBE see part of one wire, but it's really not noticible because i used silver cased wire.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:31 AM
JDUB916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOOOOOOO!!!! I just emailed BB the same question. Glad I found this thread cuz I've been searching for an hour so far. Guess its time to DIY
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
WilliamsIPL

Think BB would put some together if we came up with a group buy for him?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 PM
JDUB916

Originally Posted by WilliamsIPL
Think BB would put some together if we came up with a group buy for him?
I like that idea!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't. For him to even consider it, there would have to be an obscene amount of prepaid buyers. Think 60+. Then there'd be the wait from the time that payment is made for him to buy supplies, do the work to get them all made and shipped out since he has a 8-5 real job these days. Probably at lest several weeks - maybe longer. I know he'd get pretty irritated at people's impatience that it takes so long and be very frustrated and regret the whole thing because there's not enough profit involved to make it worth all the headache. Trust me, I now the guy pretty well. He'd rather not.
The following users liked this post:
Batch (10-15-2013)
Old 05-14-2012, 05:17 PM
JDUB916

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't. For him to even consider it, there would have to be an obscene amount of prepaid buyers. Think 60+. Then there'd be the wait from the time that payment is made for him to buy supplies, do the work to get them all made and shipped out since he has a 8-5 real job these days. Probably at lest several weeks - maybe longer. I know he'd get pretty irritated at people's impatience that it takes so long and be very frustrated and regret the whole thing because there's not enough profit involved to make it worth all the headache. Trust me, I now the guy pretty well. He'd rather not.
You forgot to add that he'd also get alot of NastyGram PM's and Threads about "Wheres my Grounding Kit" goin. HEH
Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by JDUB916
You forgot to add that he'd also get alot of NastyGram PM's and Threads about "Wheres my Grounding Kit" goin. HEH
I know that would really **** him off and make him even more of an a-hole than usual. If you can even imagine that. At that point he'd probably just say "screw it" and send everyone their money back and tell them it was an ill conceived idea from the start and he knew it wouldn't work out. Then he'd fume to himself in his surly manner and grumble about not listenting to that voice in his head that told him from the start that this is a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Grounding wires recommendation needed, since blackbetty no longer available =(