MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Dynod my car and almost got a Uprev tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:54 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EnfinitI
Why the heck would they use 3rd gear for the Dyno? 5th Gear (unless this is different on Autos and/or Sedans) is the gear the car should be Dyno'd at since it is the gear with a 1:1 ratio.

I also highly doubt that Uprev was the cause of the problem since the same variables and settings can be updated/controlled by any of the tuning apps / software out there. The increases and gains all depend on what the tuner changes on the car not the way he is making those changes. The only reason he might not have seen any changes is if he wasn't correctly updating the car with the changes he was making. If that was the case it should have been very obvious when he made the dyno run that the settings weren't being made.

The only other thing I could think of is that he did update the map but the tuned map wasn't selected on the car (via the cruise control buttons) and was always running the base map.
I did't even think about that..but you're exactly right. The reason you were showing 337 RWHP was because you were pulling in 3rd gear. I think if I dyno'd my car in 3rd it would probably show close to 400...but that's not the gearing you are supposed to use.

I have no idea about where you went to get it tuned, but either they don't know what they are doing or there is just something I am missing here that factors into all of this
Old 10-09-2010, 02:11 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
OP, do you have an A/T or M/T?

Here is what you may be missing:

UpRev has not yet figured our everything about the new 3.7L, neither has every other tuner for that matter. They have not yet figured out how to crack the speed limit governor yet for the 5A/T, causing us to only be able to get an accurate 3rd gear dyno. UpRev says they are still working on components of the VVEL technology last time that my tuner called them. That is why we were only able to dyno in 3rd gear. The UpRev software is not yet perfected for this car, however I still think in my opinion it is the best option for tuning this engine.

Here is another thread that I posted about the process for dyno tuning the 5A/T. I wish I had the 6MT as they do not encounter the same problems with dyno and speed governor.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...arisons-4.html
Old 10-09-2010, 02:17 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

yeah when I had my 6MT tuned, I am 99% sure it was NOT in 3rd gear. But either way, UpRev is hands down the best software to use (which is why 99% of tuners use it)
Old 10-09-2010, 02:23 PM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
yeah when I had my 6MT tuned, I am 99% sure it was NOT in 3rd gear. But either way, UpRev is hands down the best software to use (which is why 99% of tuners use it)
Right again highspeed, UpRev has less problems with the M/T and you probably dynoed in 4th or 5th gear. They still need to find somethings out about this car. We were on the phone with UpRev while we were tuning my car. We sent a rom file to them of my ecu and they tried to install it on a shop 370z that they had but I would not even start the car. I'm still waiting for a call back once they completely finish all the 5A/T tuning issues, but I still noticed a great difference on the way the car drives.

Although I was not able to get my "glory number" on the dyno in 4th gear due to hitting the speed governor, my tuner estimates my power to be somewhere between 310-315whp by looking at the powercurve before the motor bogs down. My car still runs at full tuned potential, just can't go faster than the governor.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:10 PM
kosstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 7 speed. Kverd were you on a dynapack or jet
Old 10-09-2010, 05:50 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kosstick
There's also mustang dynos....
Old 10-09-2010, 06:23 PM
EnfinitI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a 7 speed 5th gear is still the 1:1 gear and is what the car should be dyno'd in. The 3rd gear is a 2.04:1 ratio gear and would definitely throw off your numbers.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 PM
GraphiteG37S

Used a Dynojet... Put down 298whp & 249lb in 3rd gear with 5A/T
Old 10-09-2010, 07:01 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
There's also mustang dynos....
aka "the heartbreaker"
Old 10-09-2010, 07:11 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TomieG
AFR = air to fuel ratio

WOT = wide open throttle

What type of dyno was it? 322rwhp (rear wheel horsepower) seems really high!
mine was 311 with a stage 2+ map.fi cat back /hfc's/stillen stage 3 & cobb ap.
with a tune 325whp,stcok map.
stock g is around 287 whp.

what's the matter uprev don't work?
sam's dyno had big gains, but his car is a gulf spec, they don't have the same emissions restricitions that we have here in the you.s.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:12 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TomieG
AFR = air to fuel ratio

WOT = wide open throttle

What type of dyno was it? 322rwhp (rear wheel horsepower) seems really high!
dynojet done in 5th gear, I have an auto.

sam's dyno had big gains, but his car is a gulf spec, they don't have the same emissions restricitions that we have here in the you.s.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:34 AM
kosstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
dynojet done in 5th gear, I have an auto.

They said they received a program update 2 weeks ago and since then uprev has not been producing as far as gains.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:46 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They said they received a program update 2 weeks ago and since then uprev has not been producing as far as gains.
The software is just a tool folks, the only way to not get gains is for the tool to be broken in terms of how it remaps the ECU effectively not enabling any changes in programming, providing the tuner knows what their doing.

Even with just the features that are currently enabled that's all that's needed to easily produce at least 10HP and probably greater moving from stock. The proof of that is seen in the large gains seen by both Cobb and even Uprev tunes done previous to this latest update. As far as VVEL is concerned, according to COBB it's a smart system and will help gain power by just adjusting timing and fuel curves. Lacking this control definately isn't hindering to the point of no gains if at all.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 10-10-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:21 PM
EnfinitI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My statement about the UpRev software if it wasn't correctly saving the maps right is that when the car is running you should be able to tell that the map you saved to the car isn't the one that is running. If the tuner could determine that then he would know the problem and not just say "Something in the update broke it".
Old 10-16-2010, 06:11 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I just came across this thread and it appears to have some pretty interesting information. I have an 08 5a/t and got tuned with uprev about a month ago. This is the first I've heard about the speed limiter and dynoing in 4th.

When my car was dynod it baselined at only 265 on a dynojet. After the tune it didnt make any power up top but had good mid range gains. The tuner said it was because the engine was getting hot in the higher rpms. Could this have actually been caused by the speed limiter issue? He got the a/f to around 12.8-12.9 but after reading on here it seems people are getting better results at 12.4-12.5. Also he said he wasn't able to do anything with ignition timing, yet reading here it seems like other people are getting improvements with the timing. This was his first g37 though so, yet he has tuned 370z before.

Should I go back and re do it in 3rd on the dyno instead, and maybe have him try to do the a/f and ignition timing again?

Quick Reply: Dynod my car and almost got a Uprev tune