MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Stillen vs Grounding Gear grounding kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 PM
rrrevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen vs Grounding Gear grounding kit?

Would love to get Stillen's opinion this..
Why should we get their grounding kit vs Grounding Gear's kit?

Pros/Cons? Opinions anyone?
(Other then "They suck and don't do anything" please..)

Stillen: http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...&partno=606358

Grounding Gear: http://www.groundinggear.com
Old 06-02-2008, 11:20 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be happy to offer my thoughts on this. One quick question...I can't find a price for this particular kit...Do you happen to know how much it costs?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm... That sounds like it would be very unbiased thought. Lol... FAIL!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
let's just say the cost is much different. leaving cost out of the discussion, please offer your opinions.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 45 Likes on 6 Posts
Grounding Gear FTW!!! I loved my kit, and recommend it to anyone thinking of adding one. Mucho Bueno!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:26 AM
weave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick, someone send me both and I will report back on which one I liked best
Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, let me say that I don't like to compare any product by bashing a competitor. I don't think it is professional or helpful. Plus, in reality all it does is make me and STILLEN look like a bunch of A-holes. This comparison will be based on the information that I could gather from their website.

In reality any grounding kit will help your car. These days when a car leaves the factory the electric system is never running as efficiently as it can. With a grounding system you are improving every aspect of your cars electrical system with no downsides whatsoever.

In terms of power gains...To be 100% honest, I would be amazed if anyone could FEEL the difference in power from a grounding kit. We have tested many, many different kits and every kit we've tested improved the car, but added fairly minor gains in true POWER.

Customer Observations of STILLEN grounding kit:

The most common comments we receive from our customers is that their car now shifts smoother, and their stereo sounds better. Nissan's and Infiniti's have been known to have a bit of an acceleration whine through the stereo (RF interference.) Many of our customers have told us that the whine goes away with the wires installed.

What exactly does a grounding kit do?

A grounding kit improves your entire electrical system by improving the efficiency. By improving your electrical system you are improving every aspect of the car that is controlled by an electrical signal (i.e.-Transmission, ignition system, stereo...)

In terms of power. A grounding kit will add a little bit of power, but it will not give you the same boost as say an intake, or exhaust component. Now, with that being said a grounding kit can help you RECLAIM some power if your car currently has an inefficient electrical system. What I mean by that is, if your car has some loose connections or any impedence in your electrical system now, a grounding wire kit can help.

Why would I recommend a STILLEN grounding kit over a competitor's?

Obviously it has already been pointed out that this is going to be biased but please allow me to explain anyways.

When developing our grounding kit we look at many things. 1) What parts of the electrical system are we looking to improve? 2) What is the easiest way to install the grounding kit in the shortest amount of time possible? In our opinion grounding kits should be able to be installed by any DIYer.

With our grounding kit you only have 3 main looms which makes installation a lot easier. Rather than having 6+ connections meeting at the same point we try to build wiring looms with multiple wires already crimped into gold plated connectors. So rather than having to hold down 6+ wires and tighten the nut, you only need to hold one connection and tighten the nut. It makes everything a lot easier to install.

I hope this was helpful...If anything was unclear or you feel needs more explanation please feel free to ask...
Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Kyle,

Thanks for the info.

Can you list the major components that are grounded? Or let us know whent he instructions are linked on Stillen's website so that we can see for ourselves.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
I am leaning towards the grounding gear just based on what customers and members on this forum have said. Stillen,I havent heard any positive feedback about any of their products yet, even though I have their sways.
Price wise , Stillen ($90) vs Grounding Gear which is $160.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^I have heard Stillen makes good products so I wouldn't count them out of this area. Some other products might be a little better that are out there though but some are worse. Also remember, that it is a lot easier for people to B!$%^ then to praise someone or something so I wouldn't count on lack of positive feedback as a factor. I have never dealt with Stillen or bought a product from them but I would think that since your car is still covered under warranty with Stillen products then they must be good and safe for the vehicle. It might not be the same performance increase that other products "might" offer hence why Infiniti still covers your car under warranty but still good. One thing great that I can say about Stillen is that they actually produce parts in a timely manner for our car unlike a lot of other aftermarket manufactures. I mean, how many sways have they sold especially since no one else is making on and seems not to care to make one?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Grounding Gear is really a high quality product and they are a smaller company more focused on quality. I have heard great things from them in the past.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM
nestle_!9

sorry bout being out of topic ,, but what can you say guys about SUN AUTO HYPERVOLTAGE kit?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
To any of you guys who are lining up to pay $90 or more for these "grounding kits" based on their talk of their "quality", I have a business proposition. I will produce one for anyone who wants one of higher quality for a cheaper price. I'll use 4 GA wire instead of 8. I'll let you choose the color of your wires. It'll do the exact same thing as any vendors out there except I'll charge a lot less than $100.

I've done this a number of times. Everything Kyle said is correct. It's not hard and it shouldn't cost so much, but considering how many of you seem eager to pay up, I can see how they charge as much as they do. Almost anyone can do this in less then an hour. If you'd like one PM me.

Last edited by Black Betty; 06-03-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 45 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bboysteele
^^I have heard Stillen makes good products so I wouldn't count them out of this area. Some other products might be a little better that are out there though but some are worse. Also remember, that it is a lot easier for people to B!$%^ then to praise someone or something so I wouldn't count on lack of positive feedback as a factor. I have never dealt with Stillen or bought a product from them but I would think that since your car is still covered under warranty with Stillen products then they must be good and safe for the vehicle. It might not be the same performance increase that other products "might" offer hence why Infiniti still covers your car under warranty but still good. One thing great that I can say about Stillen is that they actually produce parts in a timely manner for our car unlike a lot of other aftermarket manufactures. I mean, how many sways have they sold especially since no one else is making on and seems not to care to make one?
Two quick notes. When I took my vehicle to the dealership, they said my Stillen exhaust voided warrantys, or would cause an issue if something came up, and they also said NO grounding kit was ok under warranty. They said grounding kits were a no no.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 PM
weave

^ you need to find another dealer

Quick Reply: Stillen vs Grounding Gear grounding kit?