Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Quieter exhaust recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 09:39 AM
rchhatwal
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Quieter exhaust recommendations

One of the first mods I'm looking to do on my '12 g37 is adding an exhaust system. I don't currently have a preference between axleback or catback but I have some sound characteristics that I want it to meet:
  1. Doesn't drone
  2. relatively quiet/close to stock when idling or cruising at a constant speed
  3. has a nice roar when i hit the gas

I know I could get butterfly valve exhausts but that is a bit out of the price range. I have looked at a few different exhausts like Stillen and Tanabe and listened to them on YouTube, but its always going to sound a bit different in person than video.

I am so far leaning toward Tanabe but any suggestions on what I should look into?
Old 05-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Infin88
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a tanabe full catback plus fast intentions rhfc. I think it suits your request pretty well. Pretty quiet at idle, except for when I do a cold start. Roars at throttle but nothing crazy like a motordyne. I dont announce my arrival from 5 blocks away, but it is loud enough and refined enough for me.

unfortunately i dont have any audio clips.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:30 AM
rchhatwal
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Infin88
I have a tanabe full catback plus fast intentions rhfc. I think it suits your request pretty well. Pretty quiet at idle, except for when I do a cold start. Roars at throttle but nothing crazy like a motordyne. I dont announce my arrival from 5 blocks away, but it is loud enough and refined enough for me.

unfortunately i dont have any audio clips.
Thanks! I'll definitely take a look at them on youtube for some audio. Did you put the cat and the rhfc both on at once? wondering if I will get the same sound if I just do the cat
Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Infin88
Registered Member

Yes i put it on all together
Old 05-03-2019, 12:58 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Like you said, it's hard to tell in video. Maybe you can find/visit someone nearby to listen to their setup? I have a Stillen catback and Fast Intentions RHFC on my coupe and at startup it's loud. There's a little drone at cruising speed but it's really only loud when I stomp on it. I imagine it would be quieter with OEM cats.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:31 PM
rchhatwal
Registered Member

How refined is the sound? I dislike the raspy sound and I know that usually you have to pay more for less raspy exhausts so a lot of my friends that have exhausts are cheaper and raspy
Old 05-03-2019, 01:52 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rchhatwal
How refined is the sound? I dislike the raspy sound and I know that usually you have to pay more for less raspy exhausts so a lot of my friends that have exhausts are cheaper and raspy
I don't notice any rasp. I did have some rasp when I had Z1 HFCs but none since replacing them with FI RHFCs.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

If your question is directed at my setup: no rasp at all.

Originally I was just going to just do the cat, cuz i wanted the oem note raised a bit. My mechanic advised that i just do the whole system cuz it was pretty rusted over anyway (northeast weather) and that ill likely end up getting a cat back if im going the upgrading route. Im satisfied with the outcome.

The note has changed to something deeper and louder if that makes sense. The oem note still turns my head though and i occasionally miss it.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
If your question is directed at my setup: no rasp at all.

Originally I was just going to just do the cat, cuz i wanted the oem note raised a bit. My mechanic advised that i just do the whole system cuz it was pretty rusted over anyway (northeast weather) and that ill likely end up getting a cat back if im going the upgrading route. Im satisfied with the outcome.

The note has changed to something deeper and louder if that makes sense. The oem note still turns my head though and i occasionally miss it.
You should have some drone, dont you?
Old 05-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dzionassi
You should have some drone, dont you?
yeah, there is some mild drone. Not too bad for me personally, but i guess everyone is different. I could take long drives with it and not have a headache because of it. I guess it was a little worse when i first installed it and was breaking it in. It has since quieted down some.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
yeah, there is some mild drone. Not too bad for me personally, but i guess everyone is different. I could take long drives with it and not have a headache because of it. I guess it was a little worse when i first installed it and was breaking it in. It has since quieted down some.
this is the problem with Tanabe, Drone under 2k rpms under light load. other than that it is all good, Especially stainless steel quality is one of best I have seen. But that drone is killing me...
Old 05-04-2019, 01:40 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dzionassi
this is the problem with Tanabe, Drone under 2k rpms under light load. other than that it is all good, Especially stainless steel quality is one of best I have seen. But that drone is killing me...
yeah, but i feel like with any aftermarket system with bigger piping, there is going to be some level of drone that would clear up at higher rpms. But i only have experience with this one and will likely stick with it.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:50 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
We can do a Tanabe axle back and start with that. Great start.

Contact us for pricing.

-Josh
Old 05-05-2019, 02:06 AM
deepblue3
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Take a look at the Greddy Spectrum Elite. I’ve only heard the sedan version on youtube but I like quiet cars and that’s my pick. I have stillen now and it’s too drony for me and too much low frequency volume.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:07 AM
maluko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanabe catback

I jiust installed Tanabe y pipe, midpipe and axleback on my G37. Sounds pretty loud right now. Curious if exhaust will mellow out after a few hundred miles. Right now it's way louder than stock.