Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

K&N CAI Vs Airbox filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 04:21 PM
Jonny5
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N CAI Vs Airbox filters

I wish a set of K&N filters for the stock setup wasn't $100...otherwise I would give them a try before going full CAI.

Muffler delete sounds awesome, but listening to it outside as my friend drove it I still noticed the engine is a bit weak sounding in the front, like to change that.

Not really looking for a performance gain, just sound. Car is plenty powerful for my needs.

Wondering if just the filters in stock air box will achieve or I should just get right into the CAI...

Thanks for any feedback!!!
Old 07-17-2017, 04:46 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Drop in filters won't change the sound.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
You need to do resonator deletes in the intake track for volume however a real intake will be even louder. I had r2c but switched to OEM with mishimoto tubes
Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Removing the hood liner opens it up a little.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:28 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
K&N CAI? You mean the typhoon? I got those too. We basically lose power with any of these hot air intakes. I like the sound of mine, which is why I'm keeping it on. Only true CAI like Stillen Gen3 will gain you power.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by kroy
K&N CAI? You mean the typhoon? I got those too. We basically lose power with any of these hot air intakes. I like the sound of mine, which is why I'm keeping it on. Only true CAI like Stillen Gen3 will gain you power.
We had a member here test that theory...

For reference, this is stillen's before and after dyno results on the sedan with their gen3 intake:

Leads me to believe that our factory airboxes are fairly well designed. Perhaps the gaggle of engineers at Nissan with their R&D budget know a thing or two about laminar flow?

Maybe the stillen might get you more with other mods (all speculation without a dyno) and it will certainly get you more noise, but it looks like drop-ins are the best bang for the buck. I use the R2C Black Hex Drop-ins because I prefer a dry filter that i can just vacuum or blow out every so often.

Last edited by Victory; 07-24-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:43 PM
kroy
Registered Member

^ I think it's a bit misleading actually because a lot of those tests/comparisons are done with hood open. With hood down(more trapped heat) and less airflow (no fans blowing at the intake), we will likely get a different result with real world conditions.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kroy
^ I think it's a bit misleading actually because a lot of those tests/comparisons are done with hood open. With hood down(more trapped heat) and less airflow (no fans blowing at the intake), we will likely get a different result with real world conditions.
Both the factory airboxes and the stillens draw air from outside the engine compartment. I can't see how there would be a significant difference between the two under similar conditions. Might be valid for short tube intakes
Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Victory
Both the factory airboxes and the stillens draw air from outside the engine compartment. I can't see how there would be a significant difference between the two under similar conditions. Might be valid for short tube intakes
factory airbox is enclosed.

k&n typhoon is barely shielded on engine side. top is open. when hood is closed, engine heat will easily leak to where the filters are. i can't honestly imagine the head shield to really block that much heat.

stillen gen 3 is a true non enclosed cai and intake is right where the intercooler is. higher airflow + cooler air.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:40 PM
Victory
Registered Member

the dyno comparison above is for K&N drop-in panels in a stock airbox, not the typhoon (short tube intake). the snorkels on the factory airbox poke through the same holes the stillen does and seem to flow just as well. There's not going to be any significant difference in air temp between the stillen and the factory airbox when the engine is sucking 500 CFM.

As far as short tube intakes go, you may very well be correct, but the general consensus is they are just to make more noise

Last edited by Victory; 07-25-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:51 PM
kroy
Registered Member

^ OP said K&N CAI, so I assumed he meant the Typhoon and not the drop in filters. K&N markets the typhoon as a CAI.

OEM vs Stillen, yeah I think temperature wise will be pretty similar; with edge going to stillen just because of positioning. But stillen and most all aftermarket intake will have higher airflow.