Throttle Body Cleaning Torque Specs etc. - Page 2 - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > Tech Area > Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction > Intake and Exhaust
Reload this Page >

Throttle Body Cleaning Torque Specs etc.

Notices
Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Throttle Body Cleaning Torque Specs etc.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:34 PM
saywat?

u guys not cleaning the back of the tb plate? i like to remove it to make cleaning easier and more thorough including the flat edge part of the plate

Last edited by saywat?; 02-12-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:10 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

I disconnected my battery, and removed the the TBs to clean. No pedal dance after.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Selym

Originally Posted by saywat? View Post
u guys not cleaning the back of the tb plate? i like to remove it to make cleaning easier and more thorough including the flat edge part of the plate
Carefully rotate the butterfly 90 degrees. You have to do that anyway to clean the area where the edge of the butterfly meets the bore of the throttle body.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Selym

Originally Posted by Entcee View Post
I disconnected my battery, and removed the the TBs to clean. No pedal dance after.
Assuming the car still idles right, either the TBs weren't very dirty to begin with, of there's still a ridge of sludge in the bore of the throttle bodies.

As the sludge from the blow-by builds up, the ECU learns the new zero position for the throttle plate to account for this sludge so that the correct idle speed is maintained.

If the TBs were significantly dirty, and you did a thorough job cleaning the throttle body bore and throttle plate, you'll end up with a irregular idle, as the plate is open too far now that the sludge has been removed.

That's what the "pedal dance" is for.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Selym View Post
Carefully rotate the butterfly 90 degrees. You have to do that anyway to clean the area where the edge of the butterfly meets the bore of the throttle body.
This is doable, but with them removed you can clean inside the manifold a little ways.

Originally Posted by Selym View Post
Assuming the car still idles right, either the TBs weren't very dirty to begin with, of there's still a ridge of sludge in the bore of the throttle bodies.

As the sludge from the blow-by builds up, the ECU learns the new zero position for the throttle plate to account for this sludge so that the correct idle speed is maintained.

If the TBs were significantly dirty, and you did a thorough job cleaning the throttle body bore and throttle plate, you'll end up with a irregular idle, as the plate is open too far now that the sludge has been removed.

That's what the "pedal dance" is for.
Do you think disconnecting the battery 0s out the throttle valve closed position? Mine were as dirty as most everyone that has posted pictures here, and I cleaned them spotless, they looked new. (And also cleaned inside the manifold). Everything was perfect after re-install, again, no pedal dancing.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 PM
mjnoles1

Now I am debating if I want to go through the trouble again to loosen the bolts slightly and retighten them down to 8.43 Newton Meters. As I originally tighten them down to 11.43 Newton Meters. As the original poster put 8.43 ft. lbs and I converted that to 11.43 Newton Meters, and tighten them based on that.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 AM
Hashim
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mjnoles1 View Post
Now I am debating if I want to go through the trouble again to loosen the bolts slightly and retighten them down to 8.43 Newton Meters. As I originally tighten them down to 11.43 Newton Meters. As the original poster put 8.43 ft. lbs and I converted that to 11.43 Newton Meters, and tighten them based on that.
I wouldn't bother if you don't have any air leaks
Old 02-16-2019, 11:23 PM
mjnoles1

Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
I wouldn't bother if you don't have any air leaks
I am a fool, I know. Once I learned the OP informed us of the wrong specification which is what I went with, I couldn't help myself but to go through the process to loosen up the 4 bolts only to tighten them back down to the correct specification lol.....Now I feel better LOL
Old 02-17-2019, 12:55 AM
Jsolo
Insane & Delirious

Been there done that...

Our garage door and front door both face the street. The way the house is situated the front door is set further back relate the garage. IOW, one can't see if the garage overhead door is open from the house. On more than one occasion the remote button gets pressed while in a pocket, unbeknownst to me. After a number of such incidents the routine now is close the garage door, enter the house, set the remote in a particular place then go back out to make sure the garage is still closed.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.