Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Throttle Body Cleaning Torque Specs etc.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Entcee
I disconnected my battery, and removed the the TBs to clean. No pedal dance after.
Assuming the car still idles right, either the TBs weren't very dirty to begin with, of there's still a ridge of sludge in the bore of the throttle bodies.

As the sludge from the blow-by builds up, the ECU learns the new zero position for the throttle plate to account for this sludge so that the correct idle speed is maintained.

If the TBs were significantly dirty, and you did a thorough job cleaning the throttle body bore and throttle plate, you'll end up with a irregular idle, as the plate is open too far now that the sludge has been removed.

That's what the "pedal dance" is for.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Selym
Carefully rotate the butterfly 90 degrees. You have to do that anyway to clean the area where the edge of the butterfly meets the bore of the throttle body.
This is doable, but with them removed you can clean inside the manifold a little ways.

Originally Posted by Selym
Assuming the car still idles right, either the TBs weren't very dirty to begin with, of there's still a ridge of sludge in the bore of the throttle bodies.

As the sludge from the blow-by builds up, the ECU learns the new zero position for the throttle plate to account for this sludge so that the correct idle speed is maintained.

If the TBs were significantly dirty, and you did a thorough job cleaning the throttle body bore and throttle plate, you'll end up with a irregular idle, as the plate is open too far now that the sludge has been removed.

That's what the "pedal dance" is for.
Do you think disconnecting the battery 0s out the throttle valve closed position? Mine were as dirty as most everyone that has posted pictures here, and I cleaned them spotless, they looked new. (And also cleaned inside the manifold). Everything was perfect after re-install, again, no pedal dancing.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
Now I am debating if I want to go through the trouble again to loosen the bolts slightly and retighten them down to 8.43 Newton Meters. As I originally tighten them down to 11.43 Newton Meters. As the original poster put 8.43 ft. lbs and I converted that to 11.43 Newton Meters, and tighten them based on that.
I wouldn't bother if you don't have any air leaks
Old 02-17-2019, 12:55 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Been there done that...

Our garage door and front door both face the street. The way the house is situated the front door is set further back relate the garage. IOW, one can't see if the garage overhead door is open from the house. On more than one occasion the remote button gets pressed while in a pocket, unbeknownst to me. After a number of such incidents the routine now is close the garage door, enter the house, set the remote in a particular place then go back out to make sure the garage is still closed.

Search this Thread