Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Intake and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:32 AM
whutches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake and exhaust

I have a 2012 G37 convertible that I bought new this year. I am interested in changing out the mufflers and intake to give it a throatier sound and increased HP. Any recommendations?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Turbotwiggs

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok before anyone starts burning you.... Use the search button. This topic is talked about over and over and over again. Even use google it is a wonderful tool.

(HINT: type g37 convertable cold air intake)

I can guarantee you will find something
The following users liked this post:
GoFightNguyen (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Yeah. Search button is your friend. I'll type out your answer juuuust this once.

Welcome to the forum, you can find all those answers in the appropriate threads. Everyone is looking for something different in their exhaust note, but MOST of the various combinations have been explored. It's hard to explain the difference in sound between exhausts with words, so go to youtube and search around for different G37 exhausts, find the one that sounds good to you, and come back and search for the thread talking about it.

I can tell you right now, any breather mods you do will have limited benefits. The most significant horsepower mods you can do are supercharging or turbocharging. However, a new exhaust will give you SOME gains and will make the exhaust note whatever you want.

Personally, I prefer Fast Intentions. I've got their High Flow Catalytic Converters (Cats), and their Catback exhaust (lead pipes, x pipe, canisters, tips). I swear by them. There's a group buy going on for those. If you've got money to burn, GTHaus makes a fantastic sounding exhaust. Motordyne has their Shockwave Exhaust, Stillen makes an exhaust, and there is always Apexi, Greddy, HKS, Tanabe (axleback), Magnaflow, and Borla.

As far as intakes, the gold standard here seems to be the Stillen Gen 3 intakes. I have them myself, and DIY'ed the install. The biggest reason people seem to not want to go that route is that it requires you to remove your bumper and use a dremel/hacksaw/oscillating cutter to widen the holes in your radiator shroud.

If you don't want to do that, another viable alternative are the Injen cold air intakes, Takeda cold air intakes, and Greddy cold air intakes.

If short ram intakes are more your speed, there's always R2C, Injen, Stillen Gen 2's, and K&N Typhoons. I can't speak for the R2C, but i'd say they're the most popular short ram intake on the forum.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:31 PM
whutches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL Thank you both! I'm new to the forum and I'll take your advice and check it out
Old 12-31-2013, 12:38 PM
SlateBlueG
Premier Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Yeah. Search button is your friend. I'll type out your answer juuuust this once.

Welcome to the forum, you can find all those answers in the appropriate threads. Everyone is looking for something different in their exhaust note, but MOST of the various combinations have been explored. It's hard to explain the difference in sound between exhausts with words, so go to youtube and search around for different G37 exhausts, find the one that sounds good to you, and come back and search for the thread talking about it.

I can tell you right now, any breather mods you do will have limited benefits. The most significant horsepower mods you can do are supercharging or turbocharging. However, a new exhaust will give you SOME gains and will make the exhaust note whatever you want.

Personally, I prefer Fast Intentions. I've got their High Flow Catalytic Converters (Cats), and their Catback exhaust (lead pipes, x pipe, canisters, tips). I swear by them. There's a group buy going on for those. If you've got money to burn, GTHaus makes a fantastic sounding exhaust. Motordyne has their Shockwave Exhaust, Stillen makes an exhaust, and there is always Apexi, Greddy, HKS, Tanabe (axleback), Magnaflow, and Borla.

As far as intakes, the gold standard here seems to be the Stillen Gen 3 intakes. I have them myself, and DIY'ed the install. The biggest reason people seem to not want to go that route is that it requires you to remove your bumper and use a dremel/hacksaw/oscillating cutter to widen the holes in your radiator shroud.

If you don't want to do that, another viable alternative are the Injen cold air intakes, Takeda cold air intakes, and Greddy cold air intakes.

If short ram intakes are more your speed, there's always R2C, Injen, Stillen Gen 2's, and K&N Typhoons. I can't speak for the R2C, but i'd say they're the most popular short ram intake on the forum.
Ditto what GoFightNguyen said on Fast Intentions exhaust and Stillen Gen 3's. Initially went other routes on exhaust and intake, backtracked and went this route. Tony at FI is excellent to deal with and will make sure you're happy. Good luck, and may your mod pocket$ be deep!