Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

R2C Intake - Lessons Learned

Old 12-01-2013, 09:54 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
The stealth clamps arrived on Friday although I didn't get my hands on to them until Saturday. I will try and post pictures but I am having PC issues, may be time for a new one I don't know. They were well packaged and arrived in a timely manner, no complaints. There was a signed thank you note from the folks at Sure,which I thought was a nice touch, and they tossed in a couple stickers.

The clamps themselves were a nice color black and seem to be holding the color well. They're just a little bit wider than the SS clamps and they definitely have more grip. They're advertised as having silicone on the inside to assist with the hold and I was envisioning a thick piece but it seems to be a very fine layer. I'm not saying that these are like superglue, just that there is more "tack" to them than the SS clamps.

I installed them on a piece of 3 inch HPS hose, I was going to order blue but I chickened out and went black after all. The clamps JUST fit over the hose which made it a lot easier to finish the swap out but had me a little concerned. I'm reluctant to say the stealth clamps run small, I think it's much more likely that I sized them incorrectly but they actually fit just fine as long as you aren't looking for a lot of extra length. So, as Rochester thought, 3 inches is probably a little too long for this length of hose. I felt like 2 inches wasn't long enough and the 3 inches works though it's very snug and pushes the filter against the front of the engine compartment. This makes me think that 2 1/2 inches is probably the length I would like for this set up, time will tell. Specific to the stealth clamps from Sure Motorsports, based on the ones I've received and installed so far, I like them and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I'll continue to monitor the connections and see if anything changes with updates if there are any issues I identify.

I'm going to go and fight with my PC, I think it's iTunes causing issues again. I'll edit and add photos as soon as I am able. Edit to add - here are a few pics, they're huge...

With original parts
Name:  12012013iPhone016_zps6090447b.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  1.35 MB

With new hose and clamps
Name:  12012013iPhone018_zps6f7d720a.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  1.94 MB

Side to side comparison
Name:  12012013iPhone019_zpsc0371050.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  1.94 MB

Overview
Name:  12012013iPhone020_zps84a92532.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  1.96 MB

Clamps a
Name:  1201b2013iphone001_zps78191fd6.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  2.00 MB

Clamps b
Name:  1201b2013iphone002_zps8dd80cb7.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  1.88 MB

Hose and clamp a
Name:  1201b2013iphone003_zpsd846db5b.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  2.18 MB

Hose and clamp b
Name:  1201b2013iphone004_zpsbd50d754.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  2.63 MB

Last edited by RexHavoc; 12-01-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Adding pics
The following 2 users liked this post by RexHavoc:
blnewt (12-02-2013), Rochester (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,570 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Excellent review on the Stealth Clamps, Rex. Excellent pictures. Very well done.

These clamps look to have noticeably better design quality than the SS clamps. The worm gear, the inner lining (really?), and the band itself all speak to an improved design. And good that it does, because otherwise you'd be paying someone to paint standard clamps flat black, and that's not cool. In other words, it looks like you got what you paid for, which is gratifying.

As to the stealthy color... IDK. I like it, while at the same time I also like the bit of bling two clean SS bands provides. This may be something I revisit in the spring, when it's not freezing in my garage and I'm spending more time with my car.

As for your couplers... aside from the 3" length, I'm guessing you're liking the HPS in black, yes? That ring of amber against the mid-pipes is a very appealing look, IMO. If you want to go down a 1/2", you could just get out the box-cutter and hack away at it. And even though you'd be putting the hand-cut edge hidden against the throttle bodies, I still recommend you come up with as precise a technique as possible when cutting.

Again, nicely done, Rex. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
RexHavoc (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Look at all the little logos! Gee, I wonder who makes the G37?
RexHavoc (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Look at all the little logos! Gee, I wonder who makes the G37?
It bothers me that the washer fluid cap logo is sideways. MAKE IT GO AWAY.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
It bothers me that the washer fluid cap logo is sideways. MAKE IT GO AWAY.
Lol, I agree I just haven't swapped it back out yet. To Rochester's point there are way too many logos. I think just the dipstick would have been about right. Or perhaps none.... Seemed like a good idea at the time, what can I say? Whoops!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Lol, I agree I just haven't swapped it back out yet. To Rochester's point there are way too many logos. I think just the dipstick would have been about right. Or perhaps none.... Seemed like a good idea at the time, what can I say? Whoops!
Rex, since I've had the OEM cap just sitting here on my desk for the last few weeks, (having swapped it out for the black, logo-less ZeeToyz cap), I've been playing with it. With the razor blade and some careful patience, you can remove the embossed washer fluid symbol from the plastic. And then sand it down perfectly smooth... which I've done, because it's there. Next up is some Krylon black plastic paint.

Granted, I have the ZeeToyz cap, so I'm just experimenting. But maybe this is an option for you since you have both as well.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Excellent review on the Stealth Clamps, Rex. Excellent pictures. Very well done.

These clamps look to have noticeably better design quality than the SS clamps. The worm gear, the inner lining (really?), and the band itself all speak to an improved design. And good that it does, because otherwise you'd be paying someone to paint standard clamps flat black, and that's not cool. In other words, it looks like you got what you paid for, which is gratifying.

As to the stealthy color... IDK. I like it, while at the same time I also like the bit of bling two clean SS bands provides. This may be something I revisit in the spring, when it's not freezing in my garage and I'm spending more time with my car.

As for your couplers... aside from the 3" length, I'm guessing you're liking the HPS in black, yes? That ring of amber against the mid-pipes is a very appealing look, IMO. If you want to go down a 1/2", you could just get out the box-cutter and hack away at it. And even though you'd be putting the hand-cut edge hidden against the throttle bodies, I still recommend you come up with as precise a technique as possible when cutting.

Again, nicely done, Rex. Thank you.
The inner lining isn't really a lining it's just.... More tacky. Or maybe less slippery is a better term? They will slide but nowhere near as much as the SS.

I think I am going to trim a half inch off the HPS, I like the black very much great suggestion! once I figure out how to maintain the measurement I'll give a whack (literally and figuratively I suppose) I have a couple blades that should allow me to run it straight down but I don't want to butcher it up you're correct.

I do think you're getting what you're paying for, they definitely didn't just paint a clamp black. These are nice and seem to have some engineered thought behind them for certain.

I appreciate the kind words, hopefully the write up helps someone.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Rex, since I've had the OEM cap just sitting here on my desk for the last few weeks, (having swapped it out for the black, logo-less ZeeToyz cap), I've been playing with it. With the razor blade and some careful patience, you can remove the embossed washer fluid symbol from the plastic. And then sand it down perfectly smooth... which I've done, because it's there. Next up is some Krylon black plastic paint.

Granted, I have the ZeeToyz cap, so I'm just experimenting. But maybe this is an option for you since you have both as well.
That's an interesting idea thank you. I'll have to see what I can come up with. I'll probably have to wait until it warms up a little bit, not having a garage here makes some simple things difficult.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:30 PM
walker39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for being a little late-to-the-party on this . . . Does the hood liner serve any purpose in regards to protecting the paint on the hood from the engine heat? On my previous car (a 1999 Ford w/ no hood liner), the paint on the hood began to noticeably fade in some areas - I assumed it was from the engine heat, but I suppose it could have also been the quality of the paint used.

I love the idea of hearing more of the engine by removing the liner, but I'm a little concerned about the possible long-term effects to the paint. Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by walker39
Sorry for being a little late-to-the-party on this . . . Does the hood liner serve any purpose in regards to protecting the paint on the hood from the engine heat? On my previous car (a 1999 Ford w/ no hood liner), the paint on the hood began to noticeably fade in some areas - I assumed it was from the engine heat, but I suppose it could have also been the quality of the paint used.

I love the idea of hearing more of the engine by removing the liner, but I'm a little concerned about the possible long-term effects to the paint. Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on it.

Thanks in advance.
Suppose you could ask this question over on the 370Z forums, since they have no sound deadening material attached to the underside of the hood.

However, just by asking I think you have your answer.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:16 PM
LZ1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good tip on the stealth clamps I just got mine in will be swapping them onto my R2C setup.

Btw Rochester im right up the highway in Buffalo.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by LZ1
Good tip on the stealth clamps I just got mine in will be swapping them onto my R2C setup.

Btw Rochester im right up the highway in Buffalo.
Cool. Glad this thread inspired you with ideas.

You probably bought the car at Autoplace Infiniti-Nissan. I like that dealership.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Cool. Glad this thread inspired you with ideas.

You probably bought the car at Autoplace Infiniti-Nissan. I like that dealership.

Welcome to the forum.
LZ1, welcome to the site. Your first post and you already got a warm welcome from Rochester, you'll do well here
Old 12-10-2013, 11:52 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

LZ1 you aren't driving the black IPL in Buffalo are you? Someone has a looker up here.
And welcome to the forum!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
LZ1, welcome to the site. Your first post and you already got a warm welcome from Rochester, you'll do well here
Hmm. Don't think I didn't see what you did there.
blnewt (12-11-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R2C Intake - Lessons Learned