Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

dumb question on K&N

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 AM
2012G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Philip8969
I would say you are not going to notice a discernible difference in horse power or fuel economy. However, on an interesting side note I went to school up in MI and got a degree in automotive engineering. While there I did a little project on the flow bench that involved taking an oem intake I had laying around from an 03 Altima and flowing a whole bunch of filters on it. Overall, the K&N did indeed flow the most and yield the highest air velocities, but only by a small margin over the oem filter and other brands. Now, while this may yield a tiny improvement in performance and economy it is going to be almost immeasurable unless you are comparing the K&N to a dirty used filter. With that being said I would still not get the K&N because it does not filter as well as many of the other filters I tested. So overall, I would agree with what many others said and say its a waste of money and not worth the time and hassle of cleaning, nor the risk of over oiling. But, the choice is yours. Hope this info helps.
Good info, thanks a lot
Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Philip8969
I would say you are not going to notice a discernible difference in horse power or fuel economy. However, on an interesting side note I went to school up in MI and got a degree in automotive engineering. While there I did a little project on the flow bench that involved taking an oem intake I had laying around from an 03 Altima and flowing a whole bunch of filters on it. Overall, the K&N did indeed flow the most and yield the highest air velocities, but only by a small margin over the oem filter and other brands. Now, while this may yield a tiny improvement in performance and economy it is going to be almost immeasurable unless you are comparing the K&N to a dirty used filter. With that being said I would still not get the K&N because it does not filter as well as many of the other filters I tested. So overall, I would agree with what many others said and say its a waste of money and not worth the time and hassle of cleaning, nor the risk of over oiling. But, the choice is yours. Hope this info helps.

Philip, any feedback on performance of OEM and replacement brands from your project? Which paper version was best?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Philip8969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The oem filter actually did very well. I tested almost 20 brands and it was right in the middle of the range and obviously does a nice job with filtration. Many of these were weird brands I found online, but of the aftermarket replacements you can find in a local parts store Purolator's Pure One filter did a little better as did Napa's Proselect. Fram's Thoughguard filter also did well. The increase in flow over the oem filter was tiny though. I was actually surprised by the results of the project because I was expecting there to be more of a range on how these things performed. The difference between the K&N and the worst one was only a few percent. I am sticking with the oem filter in my car, but I wouldn't see anything wrong with switching to a decent aftermarket filter if its in the same price range.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 PM
jojobucks
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After I bought a couple K&N drop in air filters for my 2010 G37, I decided to go online and find out if these would really make a difference in HP and fuel economy. After reading what many experts with a lot of good test equipment had to say, I sold the K&N filters and went back to the OEM. Basically, there is absolutely no advantage in fuel economy with the K&N filters. The MAS and computer determine how much fuel to feed the engine based on how much air is entering. You can plug your filters with 5 pounds of dirt and your fuel economy will not decrease one bit; your HP will suffer dramatically because much less air will be allowed into the engine. The K&N filters probably allow a little more air through at full throttle, but the downside is, the air is not filtered as well as the OEM filter. I also read where a guy over oiled his K&N which eventually ruined the MAS. Another guy purposly plugged the air intake on his BMW to see if it would effect fuel economy, and he discovered that the MPG stayed exactly the same, but his HP was greatly reduced. In the days of carbureters, dirty air filters effected mileage, not today. Sorry K&N, I don't need an extra 1 HP, or the added expense of purchasing ($120) or the hassle of cleaning and re-oiling---I'll stay with OEM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
K&N filters are handy if you happen to have a volcano erupt in your area. The paper filters will clog up immediately, from the dust, while the K&N"s can be constantly cleaned.
I don't think I will have to worry about that in SW Florida, so I use the regular paper filters.
Tom