Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Stillen Gen 3 VS Takeda front Mount CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can always go with the Stillen Gen 2 with the cold air boxes, no cutting and is the about the same power increase. I have them and there is a noticable gain in power and are very loud at high RPMs . Also you can paint the boxes like I did. Stillen polished aluminum looks sick IMO.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
HPS Silicone tubes with K&N drop in filters and call it a day.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 PM
RKT SHP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also vote for the Takeda, I have had them in my car now for a few thousand miles with no issues at all. I am not sure if I am any quicker but they definitely sound better and they look cool from the front because you can see the filter through the grill. The fact that I didn't have to do any cutting was huge for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:49 PM
murderd g37

Takada all the way

I went with Takeda for price style. Love it. The install was simple. It looks great and sounds awesome. I personally felt a gain in hp, to me it made a big difference.. 18 hp difference I'm not sure about but it was diffenently noticeable. Hope this helps
Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by murderd g37
I went with Takeda for price style. Love it. The install was simple. It looks great and sounds awesome. I personally felt a gain in hp, to me it made a big difference.. 18 hp difference I'm not sure about but it was diffenently noticeable. Hope this helps
Awesome! I went with the Takeda as well!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rkt shp
i also vote for the takeda, i have had them in my car now for a few thousand miles with no issues at all. I am not sure if i am any quicker but they definitely sound better and they look cool from the front because you can see the filter through the grill. The fact that i didn't have to do any cutting was huge for me.
i agree...
Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
The concept behind these two are that they get TRUE cold air to the engine by mounting the filters behind the grill, just in front of the radiator. All the other CAI mount the filters in the engine compartment sucking in what? HOT air?? the engine itself is generating a tremendous amount of heat. Anyways, I chose the Takeda because of the price and the fact that they are local so if I ever have any problems I can just drive over there!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM
BlancoG37

Cant go wrong with Takeda.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by egmmbah
Have you seen or done a before and after dyno with any intake? If so please explain your logic of liking them unless it's simply because of name and look...
LOL...gtfo. Its because of power. I have Gen3's, and the people that complain about the install simply don't know what they're doing and shouldn't be around cars, let alone modding them.

The stillen intake has 10x better quality then the Takeda. The Takeda's piping is cheap, the piping has larger and smaller diameters throughout the piping to fit the engine bay and "make it easier to install". Think about it, THIS IS THE SAME concept as an exhaust. Your exhaust can only flow as easy and quickly as the smallest diameter of the entire exhaust. Hense why it makes no sense to have half of an exhaust 3" piping, and the rest 2.5" piping.

Same concept applies here, the Takeda narrows down in diameter to fit through to "avoid cutting", so you might as well just have a smaller pipe through the entire intake. Also, all of the couplers are CHEAP that come with it. I've seen then first hand, and they don't line up.

Last but not least, the Takeda comes w/ one filter, with two pipes pulling out of the same one? What's to say that one isn't over compensating for the other, not to mention the Gen3 comes with 2 quality K&N filters. Doesn't get any better then that.

CHEERS
Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
I live on Oregon and it rains 9 months out of the year .. No rain shield and no problems ..
I'm curious about this. Even in downpours and at freeway speeds you feel confident that you're not at least getting the filter wet?

I'm debating whether to use the shield or not on my Takeda install... I don't like that the shield essentially leaves the back of the filter most free to breathe... which is obviously the side facing the hot radiator.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Brenttheviking

Well, I'm sold on the Stillen G3 intakes, ordering them now!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
FWIW I ended up with the Takeda CAI and I am happy with them. Took a little finessing to fit right but they sound great and do what's intended.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
The RC2 intakes. Why not just go with them?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Brainchild

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Keep in mind also, the Takeda can be installed without opening the radiator core support. But not doing so forces the user to squeeze the angled couplers through the core support, reducing its diameter by about half. That is a HUGE bottleneck for the intake.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Brainchild

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLAW
The RC2 intakes. Why not just go with them?
CAI > Short rams (of any brand). And no, even after driving around for a few minutes or an hour, not all intakes are the same!

Quick Reply: Stillen Gen 3 VS Takeda front Mount CAI