Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Fast Intentions - DB level vs stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM
2 G or Not 2 G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast Intentions - DB level vs stock?

I've searched and found several threads (on this forum and others) where posters have asked Tony from FI what decibel readings the various configurations of cats and exhausts he makes produce, so people can compare that to stock and make decisions based off that. But I've never seen Tony or anyone else from FI ever reply with that information.

I think many of us would like to know that info before deciding to go with one set or another. Based on legality as well as comfort with noise levels while driving.

Does anyone have decibel measurements of outside/inside for stock vs the various exhausts FI produces?

Here are some of the threads I found with FI active in them where people ask for this information but I've not seen FI ever reply with the requested info:

http://www.the370z.com/intake-exhaus...rmative-3.html

Are there any decibel readings for the 12inch and 18 resonator exhausts? just interested to know how they compare.
http://www.the370z.com/intake-exhaus...t-legal-2.html

http://www.the370z.com/intake-exhaus...-here-170.html

Tony,

Would it be at all possible for you to grab a decibel meter and give the community the results of various configurations vs stock. I think that would help inform your buyers, resulting in even higher satisfaction. I believe you can get one at Radio Shack if you don't already have one. As a marketing tool, I believe this is a great idea and other manufacturers have been doing this for years since there are strict laws in some areas.
Nothing back but crickets that I saw (went 4-5 pages past there)

This thread has DB level data for stock systems:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/sound-dat...t-t430092.html

For those who have a First Generation G35, first or second series sedan:
Idle Db reading: 53 db
Full throttle: 87 db

If you have a coupe/fx midpipe like me:
Idle: 58 db
Full Throttle: 92 db

G35 coupe series 1:
Idle: 61
Full Throttle: 94

G35 coupe series 2:
Idle: 59
Full Throttle: 92

For G37 coupes:
Idle: 57db
Full Throttle: 96db
If you remove the rear muffler, see the video I'll post this evening,
and know you'll be Illegal in 40 states, since you'll be doing:
Idle: 56 db
Full throttle: 109 db

FX50
Idle:56db
Full Throttle: 92.5 db

Seems this would be a no-brainer easy thing for FI to do. Just take a DB meter to a stock G37 before modification (at known position/distance inside and outside the car at various RPMs). Then do the exhaust mod the customer wants and measure again. Repeat for various configurations and post the data.

Last edited by 2 G or Not 2 G; 02-12-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Adding URLs and quotes
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM
anomalocaris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

It may be easy to do, but the consequences may be detrimental to their business. With the stock system reading 96 dB (what weighting, A or B?) and the FI most likely above this, it could be illegal in some states. This could negatively impact sales in those states. A small volume business like FE can't afford to lose potential sales by shooting themselves in the foot as it were.

One has to wonder about that 96 dB value, Tanabe advertizes their system as well under 93 dB - yet it seems louder than stock. It does matter where the microphone was positioned.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Around here (chicago), and at least a few states in every direction, most cops are pretty liberal with regard to loud exhausts. So long as you're not doing anything stupid, they'll rarely bug you.

I have a 2 brothers exhaust on my bike, notably one of the louder exhausts out there (slipon, not full). Have had it on the bike for 2 seasons now, and no issues with regard to noise. If there is a cop near by, I don't goose it when taking off, or rev it too high before shifting. In the middle of nowhere however, the entire rpm range gets exercised often Here's a link I found on youtube. 2009 Yamaha FZ1 Two Brothers Ti slip on and Juice Box installed - YouTube
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM
2 G or Not 2 G

Well, for me it's not just about legality, it's also about comfort with the volume. If this thing is going to drown out the stereo and produce constant noise inside the car that's annoying then idnhave to pass. I want a better exhaust note and power but don't want to make the car unpleasant to be in.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Agreed. For the bike, it wasn't much of a big deal. I've ridden with ear plugs since I began riding nearly 20 yrs ago. In fact, I can't focus as well if it's just the helmet. Sounds like a jack hammer going off in my head.

For the car, a very mild exhaust would be nice, one that lets you hear when you're on the throttle, but not overly intrusive unless you're at WOT.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
2 G or Not 2 G

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Agreed. For the bike, it wasn't much of a big deal. I've ridden with ear plugs since I began riding nearly 20 yrs ago. In fact, I can't focus as well if it's just the helmet. Sounds like a jack hammer going off in my head.

For the car, a very mild exhaust would be nice, one that lets you hear when you're on the throttle, but not overly intrusive unless you're at WOT.
Yes, that's exactly the right way to say it. Maybe that's the question I should be asking instead. What exhaust provides *enough* of an exhaust note (while still increasing performance) that it's obviously been upgraded but isn't loud enough to disturb occupants, the stereo or hands free phoning?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
2 G or Not 2 G

Looks like the ARK guys have many videos of their products with DB meters (both inside and outside the vehicles). Very nice and seems to remove the excuse for FI not doing so.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OP you should leave your G stock. You're starting to sound like Albert Einstein with all those numbers lol.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Lmfao! Why so worried about the DB??? Its not much louder then stock. If you replace you'r Cats then maybe you should be concerned and whip out the DB meter. Just watch videos dude or stay stock.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
is this serious?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM
2 G or Not 2 G

Originally Posted by P Casey
is this serious?
Yes, it's serious. Not everyone says "the louder the better". In fact I doubt if even a few do. So getting real numbers for comparison is important. Videos are good but since they're recorded differently with different equipment installed its pretty hard to judge sometimes how the given configuration compares to stock.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Just listen to the system in person if you can. I don't even know what 100DB would sound like!? Best option is If you can go to local meets and hear some set ups in person, that is if there are any locals that carry FI.

Last edited by VossenG37S; 02-16-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 PM
2 G or Not 2 G

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm leaning towards a FI cat-back leaving the stock cats in place to keep emissions passing and sound to a dull roar.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 AM
FastIntentions
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 G or Not 2 G
I've searched and found several threads (on this forum and others) where posters have asked Tony from FI what decibel readings the various configurations of cats and exhausts he makes produce, so people can compare that to stock and make decisions based off that. But I've never seen Tony or anyone else from FI ever reply with that information.

I think many of us would like to know that info before deciding to go with one set or another. Based on legality as well as comfort with noise levels while driving.

Seems this would be a no-brainer easy thing for FI to do. Just take a DB meter to a stock G37 before modification (at known position/distance inside and outside the car at various RPMs). Then do the exhaust mod the customer wants and measure again. Repeat for various configurations and post the data.
First and foremost thank you for taking an interest in our products!

Now i have been doing this a long time and I can count on less than one hand how many times I have been asked for a DB reading!

There are a million different ways and angles to take a DB reading that doing each way will yield a different number. I have even gone as far to talk to CHP (California Highway Patrol) officers. They cannot even give me a straight answer on how to take the reading!

Do I have DB readings on my exhaust configurations, no I do not! I really have never made the time to take them. I am honestly too busy with everything else. We are a small manned shop that does a lot of out put!

Now you are more than welcome to pick up the phone anytime you like to pick my brain. My door is always open and we can go over what combination will best suit you!

I look forward to hearing from you...

Thanks, Tony
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
2 G or Not 2 G

Originally Posted by FastIntentions
First and foremost thank you for taking an interest in our products!

Now i have been doing this a long time and I can count on less than one hand how many times I have been asked for a DB reading!

There are a million different ways and angles to take a DB reading that doing each way will yield a different number. I have even gone as far to talk to CHP (California Highway Patrol) officers. They cannot even give me a straight answer on how to take the reading!

Do I have DB readings on my exhaust configurations, no I do not! I really have never made the time to take them. I am honestly too busy with everything else. We are a small manned shop that does a lot of out put!

Now you are more than welcome to pick up the phone anytime you like to pick my brain. My door is always open and we can go over what combination will best suit you!

I look forward to hearing from you...

Thanks, Tony
Thanks for the reply, Tony...

There is far less concern about the "proper" way to take readings than there is in taking readings in the same way both stock and with modifications. Whatever the method (mic centered 5 feet behind the car and centered, etc) if the parameters are the same for measuring both before (stock) and after (FI installed) the data is still comparable and useful to a consumer who cares about this.

I'll be giving you a call soon to discuss your catback exhaust options.

Quick Reply: Fast Intentions - DB level vs stock?