Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

HKS vs. ARK

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Swacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thank many of you for your replies.

As some of you know, I currently own a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Model (that I am trying desperately to get rid of in favor of a G IPL, thus my post here), and I currently have an ARK exhaust on my car. While the fitment was slightly off, I found the exhaust to be great. I love the deep growl, and the look is very aggressive. To those who said the tips change colors, I have techno blue tips on my car, and after 4K miles of driving, they haven't changed one bit of color. Another false I'd like to cover is the "it sits low so it will hit off everything". If the G's exhaust from ARK is made the same as the Genesis Coupe, its right over top of the rear axel. If you travel over something, the exhaust moves with it. I've never hit anything (but I'm also at stock height also). So the height of your car may be a factor (my IPL will stay the stock height until I can pick up a set of Vossen wheels).

The reason I brought this up, was different exhausts make different sounds, allow for different quality of build, and give different appearances on the car. I truely love my ARK exhaust, that is about the only part of the car I'll miss when I sale it. However, I'd like to try something different, and I've listened to clips of the HKS and it sounds very close to the ARK exhaust. I've seen more people list that the HKS is a better build quality while producing a simliar sound. I want a very low/deep V6 growl.

The price is not a concern, I'm just after quality of fit, and the sound it produces. I contacted the "distributor" of HKS in Western PA, and was told that HKS is no longer being sold by distributors in the US (once their current inventory runs out), and it will only be available if I can find some Japanese company that will import it to the US. I worry about the return policy and customer service of a company that is not even on my shores.

However, to play devil's advocate, my first ARK exhaust didn't even fit my car, and after a long debate with the owners (in which they wouldn't admit the welds were wrong), they warrantied my exhaust and gave me an entire new one that fit perfectly. So to say that the company is evolving, I agree. ARK is a good company overall, I just don't wish to be another iteration.

Some of you have said the HKS sounds ricerish. Have I looked at the wrong clips? I've seen the HKS with a deep growl (tho the G has a rasp up in the high RPM range so a little is expected). Please correct me if i"m wrong.

Your continued info is greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by Swacer
I thank many of you for your replies.

As some of you know, I currently own a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Model (that I am trying desperately to get rid of in favor of a G IPL, thus my post here), and I currently have an ARK exhaust on my car. While the fitment was slightly off, I found the exhaust to be great. I love the deep growl, and the look is very aggressive. To those who said the tips change colors, I have techno blue tips on my car, and after 4K miles of driving, they haven't changed one bit of color. Another false I'd like to cover is the "it sits low so it will hit off everything". If the G's exhaust from ARK is made the same as the Genesis Coupe, its right over top of the rear axel. If you travel over something, the exhaust moves with it. I've never hit anything (but I'm also at stock height also). So the height of your car may be a factor (my IPL will stay the stock height until I can pick up a set of Vossen wheels).

The reason I brought this up, was different exhausts make different sounds, allow for different quality of build, and give different appearances on the car. I truely love my ARK exhaust, that is about the only part of the car I'll miss when I sale it. However, I'd like to try something different, and I've listened to clips of the HKS and it sounds very close to the ARK exhaust. I've seen more people list that the HKS is a better build quality while producing a simliar sound. I want a very low/deep V6 growl.

The price is not a concern, I'm just after quality of fit, and the sound it produces. I contacted the "distributor" of HKS in Western PA, and was told that HKS is no longer being sold by distributors in the US (once their current inventory runs out), and it will only be available if I can find some Japanese company that will import it to the US. I worry about the return policy and customer service of a company that is not even on my shores.

However, to play devil's advocate, my first ARK exhaust didn't even fit my car, and after a long debate with the owners (in which they wouldn't admit the welds were wrong), they warrantied my exhaust and gave me an entire new one that fit perfectly. So to say that the company is evolving, I agree. ARK is a good company overall, I just don't wish to be another iteration.

Some of you have said the HKS sounds ricerish. Have I looked at the wrong clips? I've seen the HKS with a deep growl (tho the G has a rasp up in the high RPM range so a little is expected). Please correct me if i"m wrong.

Your continued info is greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Looks like the sound that you want is exactly what Fast Intentions delivers. Its growl is even deeper than that of an Ark, and it truly sounds like a beastly V6. From what you just said, I highly recommend you look into that one. I've searched over every possible exhaust for our G, and the FI exhaust is the deepest, meanest sound I could find. In combination with the quality, you can't beat it. It'll be much deeper than an HKS, guaranteed. If not Fast Intentions, look into the Berk exhaust. It sounds very deep as well, and Berk is a fantastic company from what I've heard. You can't go wrong with either.
But I'm definitely saying that an HKS won't meet the sound you want unless, that is, you add test pipes to it.

Fast Intentions
:

G37 Fast Intentions Exhaust - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSyp6M3qBQk

Berk:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...st-system.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...eat-price.html

Last edited by Soliditude; 10-10-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by 911turbo
Lol. all i read was "First off, HKS is a JDM product, so it'll be flawless" so dont get all butthurt. haha

You need to take a college class for Reading and Writing comprehension, my friend. That's all I'm gonna say.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Swacer

Originally Posted by Soliditude
Looks like the sound that you want is exactly what Fast Intentions delivers. Its growl is even deeper than that of an Ark, and it truly sounds like a beastly V6. From what you just said, I highly recommend you look into that one. I've searched over every possible exhaust for our G, and the FI exhaust is the deepest, meanest sound I could find. In combination with the quality, you can't beat it. It'll be much deeper than an HKS, guaranteed. If not Fast Intentions, look into the Berk exhaust. It sounds very deep as well, and Berk is a fantastic company from what I've heard. You can't go wrong with either.
But I'm definitely saying that an HKS won't meet the sound you want unless, that is, you add test pipes to it.

Fast Intentions
:

G37 Fast Intentions Exhaust - YouTube
G37 Fast Intentions Intimidator CF Exhaust w/ HFC - YouTube

Berk:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...st-system.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...eat-price.html
That...sounds wonderful (the FI). I do believe I've found my exhaust.

Can someone confirm with me that it will fit the IPL?

Also, where can I find a pricing for the FI exhaust?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Kuro
Registered Member

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts
Call them direct and ask for Tony (818) 882-2788 He will answer you every single question and here is there website Fast Intentions
Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by Swacer
That...sounds wonderful (the FI). I do believe I've found my exhaust.

Can someone confirm with me that it will fit the IPL?

Also, where can I find a pricing for the FI exhaust?

Call Fast Intentions directly, as mentioned above. Ask for Tony, and he is the best guy you'll ever talk to. Anyone on the forum can vouch for his incredible customer service and true honestly. Dealing with him was the easiest and most comfortable thing I've ever done. He'll answer any of your questions/concerns and will help you even months after you get your exhaust. Speaking from experience. Their webiste will get you all the details. There are either Stainless Steel or Carbon Fiber mufflers available according to your choice. Also, if you have any questions for users of this exhaust, you can PM me. I've had it on for over 6 months now, and I'll be glad to tell you how happy I am with it.

I also have dyno numbers with this exhaust, and I can say that I've had very good gains with it, so it's also a very good performance boost. It'll fit an IPL nicely.

fastintentions.com
Old 10-12-2011, 03:59 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
here's berk CBE.. To me personally it sounds pretty deep without being too loud if that makes any sense..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/91QGRnorA3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-12-2011, 05:25 AM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by WARAT
here's berk CBE.. To me personally it sounds pretty deep without being too loud if that makes any sense..

It sounds almost identical to Fast Intentions. Even the tips look the same.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Djalbanian37

Guys I just got a coupe x...I ordered ark but not liking the sound of droning inside the car..how bad is it really cause I like hearing music at 50 percent most of the time so will I notice it? Yeah I know they didn't make the awd ark yet for the coop but my mechanic said he's done a few on a couple of other g's and he can customized it for me...my main question is he also told me to get test pipes for main performance and I'm going for invidia besides it is just pipes... What do you guys think? Good choice? I already got gen 3 installed myself and also ordering stillen pulley with belt. Already got a Cobb on the way..yes I chose Cobb didn't go for osiris yet just to test it and if I don't get results I want I'll just sell it and go osiris. Let me know if I'm doing the right thing for performance with na engine..mostly just give me opinions on the test pipes with ark. Thank you guys
Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by Djalbanian37
Guys I just got a coupe x...I ordered ark but not liking the sound of droning inside the car..how bad is it really cause I like hearing music at 50 percent most of the time so will I notice it? Yeah I know they didn't make the awd ark yet for the coop but my mechanic said he's done a few on a couple of other g's and he can customized it for me...my main question is he also told me to get test pipes for main performance and I'm going for invidia besides it is just pipes... What do you guys think? Good choice? I already got gen 3 installed myself and also ordering stillen pulley with belt. Already got a Cobb on the way..yes I chose Cobb didn't go for osiris yet just to test it and if I don't get results I want I'll just sell it and go osiris. Let me know if I'm doing the right thing for performance with na engine..mostly just give me opinions on the test pipes with ark. Thank you guys

Test pipes with Ark will drone badly. I had HFC's with my FI exhaust, and I couldn't stand it--and I know TP's are worse. Your entire interior will resonate and you'll hear your rear-view mirror and other parts rattle from it. If you don't want that, stay away from TP's or HFC's. But they do give significant gains with a tune. Plus, the Ark with TP's will be quite raspy, too. The exhaust on its own will be fine, though, so don't worry. You'll have 80% less drone/interior resonance with just the exhaust itself. But since your friend will be changing it for you to fit the X, I don't know what'll happen to the sound.

Secondly, forget Cobb and go Osiris UpRev right off the bat. Get a custom tune from someone who does UpRev; 100 times better. Don't waste your time going through Cobb only to find out UpRev is better--it is, and that's why Cobb gave out on our VQ's.

With Gen 3's and exhaust all tuned by UpRev, you'll be very close to 300 WHP. With TP's you'll be even more powerful, but it'll be much more annoying to drive. It's a win-lose kinda thing. My opinion is that just your intakes, just the exhaust and just the UpRev tune (plus your pulley) will be more than enough.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Invidia with test pipe, ( I am getting my exhaust resonators warrantied so I cut them out)even with no resonators, has no drone. Rasp like hell though. But with the resonators in, no drone, no rasp even with a non resonated test pipe.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Djalbanian37

Originally Posted by Soliditude
Test pipes with Ark will drone badly. I had HFC's with my FI exhaust, and I couldn't stand it--and I know TP's are worse. Your entire interior will resonate and you'll hear your rear-view mirror and other parts rattle from it. If you don't want that, stay away from TP's or HFC's. But they do give significant gains with a tune. Plus, the Ark with TP's will be quite raspy, too. The exhaust on its own will be fine, though, so don't worry. You'll have 80% less drone/interior resonance with just the exhaust itself. But since your friend will be changing it for you to fit the X, I don't know what'll happen to the sound.

Secondly, forget Cobb and go Osiris UpRev right off the bat. Get a custom tune from someone who does UpRev; 100 times better. Don't waste your time going through Cobb only to find out UpRev is better--it is, and that's why Cobb gave out on our VQ's.

With Gen 3's and exhaust all tuned by UpRev, you'll be very close to 300 WHP. With TP's you'll be even more powerful, but it'll be much more annoying to drive. It's a win-lose kinda thing. My opinion is that just your intakes, just the exhaust and just the UpRev tune (plus your pulley) will be more than enough.
I'll give up a little rasp for more performance besides I know for a fact ark to rasp that much as much as hks would...as far as Cobb is concerned it had more stuff then osiris not saying its better just had more features...money is a concern after all...just trying to spend 2000 sufficient enough to shave .03 off my 0-60
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Soliditude

I'll give up a little rasp for more performance besides I know for a fact ark to rasp that much as much as hks would...as far as Cobb is concerned it had more stuff then osiris not saying its better just had more features...money is a concern after all...just trying to spend 2000 sufficient enough to shave .03 off my 0-60

I would rather have a much better tune for my engine and slightly more performance instead of more "features."
Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Djalbanian37

How much better is it going to be? I don't have fi I'm na I doubt its going to be that diff stage 2 on Cobb focuses on exhaust and intake either way you can download maps off of the website. The guy us selling me the Cobb for 300 flat so its not a bad deal but I might just go to uprev
Old 10-14-2011, 03:36 AM
Soliditude

How much better is it going to be? I don't have fi I'm na I doubt its going to be that diff stage 2 on Cobb focuses on exhaust and intake either way you can download maps off of the website. The guy us selling me the Cobb for 300 flat so its not a bad deal but I might just go to uprev

I'm talking about a custom, live dyno tune from someone that does UpRev in-house rather than a pre-made map that you can download. A custom tune for your car will always be much better, because each car is slightly different, so a pre-made map only takes you so far. However, if you don't have anyone that does that, you'd be about the same with either pre-made map.

Quick Reply: HKS vs. ARK