Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Looking for an intake!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:10 AM
MOONLIGHT37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for an intake!!

Hello i am looking for a intake for my 2009 g37x. I would want it to be name brand such as Stillen, also looking for a local person to help me out. Im located in kansas so im not sure how many people on this website live here. if you have an intake close to kansas let me know please.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
LiquidPlatg37S

I am not in Kansas... but I Can reccomend a good intake if your going short ram I Like the K&N Typhoon Intake they are nice make a noticable inprovement in performance and are rather inexpensive if you get them from amazon...
Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Lucky_One

Injen Cold air intake. great intake, great sound and easy installation.

plus a member is selling brand new one right now:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...sp1997blk.html
Old 01-22-2011, 08:06 PM
4drScreamer

Go with a long tube intake like Injen or Stillen. You'll be much happier than short ram air types. Sorry not in Kansas either, but they are really simple to install. Lots of threads here with step by step directions and pictures. Do a search and check them out.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:07 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky_One
Injen Cold air intake. great intake, great sound and easy installation.

plus a member is selling brand new one right now:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...sp1997blk.html
there you have it make sure you read up first before making your decision; buy what YOU want, not what everyone else thinks you should get. after reading up on the many threads, i decided to opt for injens over stillens. note, that there's a common misconception out there about the injens. if you read through all the junk, you'll figure it out and see the DUMB mistake that so many have come to believe
Old 01-24-2011, 12:54 AM
MOONLIGHT37

thanks for the input, anyone know if this mod will void my warranty?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 AM
eksigned

Originally Posted by MOONLIGHT37
not typically. ask your dealer. if you do, for example, hydro lock your motor, obviously that won't be covered under your warranty. dealers (most) are fair about modifications.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Typically warranties are only "voided" if the part installed is directly related to the malfunction.

ex. If your taillights go out or say you have problems with your rims, there is no relation with you intake system with these parts. But, if a mass air flow sensor goes bad or a throttle body.. and you take it in with the air intake, there is a good chance it will be "voided".
Old 01-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Altersys

Originally Posted by eksigned
after reading up on the many threads, i decided to opt for injens over stillens. note, that there's a common misconception out there about the injens. if you read through all the junk, you'll figure it out and see the DUMB mistake that so many have come to believe
So, for the lazy and/or uninitiated, what's this common misconception you speak of?

cheers
Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Probably that the Injens did not make any power, I just read a thread on here that they guy got 15 WHP or something like that, All tho I'm trying to save for the Stillens. just personal choice.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:22 AM
123u

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Intake won't void ur warranty. i know u want it, go for it man
Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
MOONLIGHT37

ha, i know i want it. stillen is running a deal, buy an exhaust get the intake for free i might have to do that! looks like a pretty good deal!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 PM
eksigned

Originally Posted by Altersys
So, for the lazy and/or uninitiated, what's this common misconception you speak of?

cheers
Okay, I may have blow it out of proportion. I'll work around it lol Some general information about the Injen: the filter sits well below the bumper and not behind the front grille. Personally for me, I found that a bit uncomfortable (Stillen placement) seeing that I live in the Pacific NW; the only way for the Injens to hydro lock your engine is if you sift through high enough waters that submerge (completely) your front bumper, along with your filters (I haven't installed mine yet, but I'm sure there's a bypass valve even if you DO end up submerging). Also, from what I can understand, Injen got some bad rep when it was first introduced; the dyno charts yielded only 4 WHP after the Injen installs. People blew it out of proportion claiming that the $700 intake (initial price) was out of line, etc.. Anyways, I think what happened was that the original poster forgot to mention that the car that the dyno was done on with the Injen install, had various other modifications (you don't just add modification whp numbers up). On various other dynos, the Injens yielded ~14 whp average (16.5 on some). Hope that helps! Plus, the Injens have more R&D behind them (didn't read much up on it though) and have a better build quality (IMO) than the Stillens. OH, and NO CUTTING!

BAH...I keep coming back to edit: I think the Injens also stay closer to the stock A/F (no rich or lean runs) than the Stillens do.
Damn it, okay last edit: Injens also provide a more linear increase in whp across your powerband, versus the (what some people claim) ~14whp exclusively @ higher rpms on the Stillen Gen3's.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Alvinhui
Registered Member

go get a stillen !!!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
Okay, I may have blow it out of proportion. I'll work around it lol Some general information about the Injen: the filter sits well below the bumper and not behind the front grille. Personally for me, I found that a bit uncomfortable (Stillen placement) seeing that I live in the Pacific NW; the only way for the Injens to hydro lock your engine is if you sift through high enough waters that submerge (completely) your front bumper, along with your filters (I haven't installed mine yet, but I'm sure there's a bypass valve even if you DO end up submerging). Also, from what I can understand, Injen got some bad rep when it was first introduced; the dyno charts yielded only 4 WHP after the Injen installs. People blew it out of proportion claiming that the $700 intake (initial price) was out of line, etc.. Anyways, I think what happened was that the original poster forgot to mention that the car that the dyno was done on with the Injen install, had various other modifications (you don't just add modification whp numbers up). On various other dynos, the Injens yielded ~14 whp average (16.5 on some). Hope that helps! Plus, the Injens have more R&D behind them (didn't read much up on it though) and have a better build quality (IMO) than the Stillens. OH, and NO CUTTING!

BAH...I keep coming back to edit: I think the Injens also stay closer to the stock A/F (no rich or lean runs) than the Stillens do.
Damn it, okay last edit: Injens also provide a more linear increase in whp across your powerband, versus the (what some people claim) ~14whp exclusively @ higher rpms on the Stillen Gen3's.
Just throwing some info in here, opinons are opinons.. and that's up to you.. that's why there is the choice you have to consider..

- There is no bypass on the Injen's, and we also sell them, not a knock on them, but they do hang very low to the ground, and have potential for access to water (you can do the research on potential outcomes). You would need to alter the setup to add a bypass valve.

- Dyno results will speak for themselves on the kits, check the threads, both provide gains, certain short ram versions do not.. and the proven max HP gains are evident.

- A/F changes are not prevalent amongst both Injen and STILLEN intakes, until you get to the aspect of adding multiple products on top of themselves, such as intakes, headers, HFCs or test pipes, and exhaust. The combination of those 4 parts and the STILLEN Gen 3's will require a tune. Short of that the ECU is able to compensate, not that you couldn't squeeze more HP out of a tuned setup.

- I realize the placement of the STILLEN Gen 3 filters behind the grille seem scary in the aspect of water hitting them, but the kit provides for a urethane splash shield, and as you mentioned require submersion under throttle to get in the position of a hydrolock, and despite the numbers of Gen 3's sold, not a single instance of that has occurred, including with the car washes, hose hitting the filters, or anything else understandably conceived to be a problem. Including customers driving in blinding rain storms and a couple blizzards.. lol

I hope that helps..

Quick Reply: Looking for an intake!!