Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help Modified exhaust ticket WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
He was just checking me out, used my CF mufflers as a reason to check me out. Streets where dead at 2 am. This I stupid , I want to go to court and fight it but is it worth saving a 115$ I mean it will probably be more inconvienient to take the time to go to court in ft lauderdale and the time and tge cost is not worth it . What you guys think?

My car had dark as tints also and I even been let go by cops like 3 times for this and never written a ticket for exhaust this is a first here in Florida. Just rediculous, cop had nothing better to do.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I don't know about where you live, but here court is at least a half a day ordeal. A half day of my time is worth more than $115, so I'd pay it.

As far as the officer not cutting you a break, some will and some won't. Him doing his job doesn't necessarily make him a POS. He didn't' give you a ticket for illegal tint when he could have, did he? If the ticket is actually bogus, then fight it on principle. I seriously doubt he just made up a law to give you a ticket. Why don't you look up the statute you were cited for? It should be on the ticket. Tell us what it says.

I've been let go for speeding, tint too dark, no front plate, etc. When I did get a speeding ticket a couple of years ago, I was angry but at myself not the trooper. He cited me for 82 in a 65 - $325. I was going about that fast give or take a mph or 2. He could have written it up as 79 (many officers do this) which would have been $125 cheaper. But he didn't. He actually didn't have anything better to do, that's his job. Why should I be pissed at him for doing what I pay him to do? I shouldn't have been speeding because I didn't have any emergency.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
VossenG37S

I hear you^ yes I looked up the statute it clearly states that it doesn't neccesarily have to be above noise level , any altered exhaust not from factory is illegal and , yes a Half a day in court is not worth the time. I'm going to just pay and move on.
He had Every right to give me a ticket especially for tints , and apparently you can be cited for being to low of a drop. So whatever 100$ probably be the same paying for gas and time and inconvienece of driving from Miami to ft lauderdale courthouse , paying for parking and going through all the BS in court ...
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shoulda told the copper that you had a stock exhaust with a hole in the muffler and that you have an appointment with the dealer to fix it! LOL

Seriously though....consider your fine a "mod" tax. Pay it and forget it. $115 isn't worth getting all bent out of shape.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by BlkHR37S
..... and apparently you can be cited for being to low of a drop....
Really? Wow...that's unbelievable. If they want to cite people for ride height changes, they should go after those hicks with the extremely lifted 4x4s on the roads. Seriously, the bumpers on some of those rigs line up with the windshield of most cars. How can that possibly be street legal?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Not to rub salt into the wound, but this sort of thing does not happen to us stock owners. My suggestion is to put the OEM exhaust back. Then you’ll never have to worry about being ticketed for it or having to look over your shoulder all the time looking for cops so you can make an attempt to lower the noise level. I couldn’t enjoy driving with that kind of stress.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Sucks to hear man.. your car is an eye catcher he couldn't have missed it haha
Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM
VossenG37S

Originally Posted by Chekov
Not to rub salt into the wound, but this sort of thing does not happen to us stock owners. My suggestion is to put the OEM exhaust back. Then you’ll never have to worry about being ticketed for it or having to look over your shoulder all the time looking for cops so you can make an attempt to lower the noise level. I couldn’t enjoy driving with that kind of stress.
1 year w no issues and now I'm considering this but honestly , i'm not removing it just for a ticket I love this exhaust to much .
Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 PM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Callaway
Since our cars come with dual exhausts with larger than average openings, how does he determine that your exhaust was modified before pulling you over?

He probably just didn't give a ****. I got pulled over for a "modified extremely loud exhaust" about a year ago....and I have the stock exhaust. LOL. I told the cop, "you can check the exhaust yourself, it's the stock G37 Infiniti exhaust." He said to me "well it's still very loud." I responded with "Then either pull over every other Infiniti you see on the road, or call Infiniti directly and tell them how you feel about their stock exhaust, but my exhaust is legal and you cannot give me a ticket for it."
Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Pip

Originally Posted by The Jewbag
He probably just didn't give a ****. I got pulled over for a "modified extremely loud exhaust" about a year ago....and I have the stock exhaust. LOL. I told the cop, "you can check the exhaust yourself, it's the stock G37 Infiniti exhaust." He said to me "well it's still very loud." I responded with "Then either pull over every other Infiniti you see on the road, or call Infiniti directly and tell them how you feel about their stock exhaust, but my exhaust is legal and you cannot give me a ticket for it."
And then any cop with their salt would have said something like:" Well let me look around and see what I CAN give you a ticket for, wisea$$!" Why antagonize 'em?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pip
And then any cop with their salt would have said something like:" Well let me look around and see what I CAN give you a ticket for, wisea$$!" Why antagonize 'em?

Because I knew I had nothing on the car that he could give me a ticket for.

PS- I didn't get any tickets. lolol
Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 PM
VossenG37S

Haha^ nice one I felt like saying something but then thought modified lights, tint drop!!! No front plate... Keep my mouth shut probably be better lol.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by BlkHR37S
1 year w no issues and now I'm considering this but honestly , i'm not removing it just for a ticket I love this exhaust to much .
Exactly. Don't listen to Chekov. He's only interested in living life 100% within society's rules. In other words: B-O-R-I-N-G. Life is too short not to have some fun....and if you consider a louder-than-stock exhaust fun, then by all means keep it on and pay the piper.

Hell, my tinted windows aren't anywhere near the legal limit, but I like them enough that I'd pay a ticket over and over again to keep them. I hope I didn't just jinx myself, because I've never been ticketed or even pulled over for them. My G is getting 20% all around on the day that I take delivery.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, do some research. If it's not really illegal then I'd fight it just on principle.
Cop-nope it's illegal . Y do you ask me y u where stopped, do you want to know if I had a good enough reason to stop you.
WTF is that about? He's giving you a "how dare you question me" attitude. Sounds like one of the "tough guy" cops to me.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
VossenG37S

Yeah he was a jerk , probably saw I previously had a DUI 1 year ago. Even with tints they stop me lol one time cop was on side streets and got in
middle of the road and said woah woah woah , put your window up or me , sai your tints are illegal, I said well I bought my car like this from dealer already tinted and he let me go. And just last week I speed off fast and cop caught up to me and said dude I'm not gonna lie your car I's baddass but you need to slow it down one day a diff cop is gonna be a jerk and give you a ticket for that Let me go lol but luck always runs out

Quick Reply: Help Modified exhaust ticket WTF!