Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Catalytic converter problem !

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
TicketProof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic converter problem !

Ive been noticing a rattle coming from the area under the drivers floor area when would let off the gas so i took the car to a local Meineke to have them take a look. They said it sounds like something is loose inside my drivers side cat. I called the dealer and made an appt. for friday AM. Question, what are the odds that the dealer will try and blame the cat problem on my Borla exhaust or Stillen intake system ? im not sure how either of these affect the cats but my car only has 5200 miles on it and no matter what ive done i dont think something that is suppose to last 5 years should be broken already. What do you guys think ?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:26 PM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
99.99999999% they wont say anything because intake and exhaust dont effect headers, and if they do post it on here. Garunteed its stealership bull**** talk, you'll be fine.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:32 PM
TicketProof

Unhappy

So I called my dealer, Competition in Smithtown, NY and spoke with a servive rep who told me that if I come in with my aftermarket parts on the car he can almost gurantee that they will try and blame it on the parts. He said its in my best interest to remove the parts and go back to OEM before I drop it off, I said that I didn't understand how they could try and blame the exhaust for a bad cat and he said they'll say it was the installation or something. Guess I'm ****ed, now I have to go back to stock just to find out what the problem is and then pay to reinstall all my parts. Do I have any options ? They say a new cat plus install is about $1000, and I don't want to pay out of pocket.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:35 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
wow that really does sound shady. you have no other options? like another dealership? no way intake or exhaust will cause a cat to fail.... i would fight them about it but then again is it worth your time?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
TicketProof

I just tried Infiniti of Massapequa and the guy there pretty much said the same thing, he said I can talk to the service manager on friday but he thinks that they're going to try and pull the same thing
Old 05-13-2009, 06:04 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Are we sure it's the cat itself that's having issues?

I don't see how a connection can be made with your issue and the aftermarket intake setup, but since your catback is still there, it is still possible that might be a source for the problem. Too many people try to place the blame squarely on the dealerships when sometimes it actually IS the aftermarket product that might just be causing some rattling. So I'm guessing you had a visual inspection and nothing like a heat shield or a loose bracket is in the way?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:07 PM
TicketProof

Yup, 2 guys from Meineke and myself went upder the car while it was on the lift and another guy sat in the car and revved the engine and we pinpointed it in the drivers side cat, sounds like a marble is banging around in there when you let off the accelerator.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:16 AM
Kenny Rogers

Originally Posted by TicketProof
Ive been noticing a rattle coming from the area under the drivers floor area when would let off the gas so i took the car to a local Meineke to have them take a look. They said it sounds like something is loose inside my drivers side catalytic converters. I called the dealer and made an appt. for friday AM. Question, what are the odds that the dealer will try and blame the cat problem on my Borla exhaust or Stillen intake system ? im not sure how either of these affect the cats but my car only has 5200 miles on it and no matter what ive done i dont think something that is suppose to last 5 years should be broken already. What do you guys think ?
You have a cat problem because of your intake and exhaust? I don't think so. Exhaust can not affect the catalytic converter.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 AM
Doggy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same noise sometimes in reverse, and only in reverse.... Now I'm scared
Old 06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^excuse to get test pipes or hfc.