Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Excited to start thinking about NA Mods...Let's talk NA mods!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excited to start thinking about NA Mods...Let's talk NA mods!!!

Wireboltman shaved off about .7 secs off his 0-60 on his FX with just NA mods! not bad at all. The FX must have been a tad restrictive to begin with. I highly doubt we could shave off more than .2 or .3 secs off our 0-60 on our G37s with NA mods...Unless we work with the cams and get into engine rebuilding territory which begins getting almost as pricey if not more than Forced Induction anyway....

WireboltMan it sounds like you know a lot about NA mods. I want to do some very reliable NA mods that dont take away from the smoothness and reliability of the car and also keep it sounding enhanced - not like a POS. I want to use top notch parts and expert/seamless installations....

What do you think are the basic NA mods I and anyone else on the same boat should eventually do to the G37 so that it still sounds classy and installs without creating problems and gets some solid power throughout the RPM bandwidth....My goal is to gain a solid 15-20 WHP and shave off about .2 - .3 secs from my 0-60. I want a 5.0 second 0-60 car while keeping it NA. Is that realistic?

Also I want my mods to make my cars sound louder in a classy and sporty way. e.g. an intake that u can hear the whoosh of air sucking in with a nice refined and not too throaty like a 4 banger short ram...and an exhaust with a deep refined rumble that sounds more classy than ghetto. i dont like the super loud mustang/camaro type exhausts. I just want to enhance the existing exhaust note....also would u recommend changing out the headers as well? And what else can you do that doesnt mess with the car other than I/H/E? and still keep things somewhat budget and NA?

The Fujita is too early an edition to invest in. I have heard of some of them even causing problems. I would rather wait until Nismo, Injen, JimWolfTech and other reputed brands improve upon it and make a more solid build....

Any thoughts guys on what NA mods to go for??

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-03-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
JWT Dual Intake is now shipping.. I'm going to wait to get that until everythingg35 has it instock. Hopefully someone will be coming out with a plenum too for the 37. Thats all I'm willing to do.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
COUPE-DADDY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My gut feeling is that these cars are pretty well optimized. However living in the land of 93 octane, I'd be curious to see what a 93 octane tune would do.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM
maxipad96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since when is the JWT shipping? And from where?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
DetroitG37Joe

I had no clue about the JWT - shoot - nice! It's gonna be a 1st edition so I might wait on a 2nd rev or something but yeah...Show me where you see JWT's Intake because as far as I see the G37 is not even in their drop down list of cars yet!

Also I might want some gold Volk TE-37 rims those look SICK on Z's and G's!!!

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-03-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:39 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i wouldn't get excited unless cams or a reflash/tuning device is out. everythig else are just noise makers. just because intake A get 5whp from stock and exhaust B gets 8 whp from stock....doesn't mean you get a combined 13whp. doesn't work that way.

I had on my 03 350Z an intake, headers, exhaust, plenum, pullies, and it was the reflash that made it all come together (just because the car was running so lean)
Old 01-03-2008, 06:05 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by cvt
i wouldn't get excited unless cams or a reflash/tuning device is out. everythig else are just noise makers. just because intake A get 5whp from stock and exhaust B gets 8 whp from stock....doesn't mean you get a combined 13whp. doesn't work that way.

I had on my 03 350Z an intake, headers, exhaust, plenum, pullies, and it was the reflash that made it all come together (just because the car was running so lean)
by running lean u mean it wasnt using the fuel properly correct? so an ECU reflash is absolutely necessary for your car to adjust to the whole enchilada of NA mods? with all the loot dropped on that I feel like maybe puttin off, saving the money and gettin a supercharger may be the way to go. all u need for those is just an exhaust to go with the kit right. as long as ur runnin stock boost....
Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you'll be fine with a few bolt on mods ie intake and exhaust. but you start putting in headers, cats, cams...then yes the a/f runs lean...a tune wold be needed to richen up and get the optimal a/f for power.

of course FI is the best way to get $ for hp...but would you want to? FI'd cars and n/a cars run very different.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:47 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by cvt
of course FI is the best way to get $ for hp...but would you want to? FI'd cars and n/a cars run very different.
I want a few solid & reliable WHP and I want an additional minimum of 15-20 WHP. I want my 0-60 to be shaved a few tenths of a second to get to 5.0 seconds.

Now the big question is do I want to do forced induction and go all out or try to optimize the car @ NA? You said that FI and NA cars run very different. Please elaborate on that...
Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 AM
wireboltman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
Wireboltman shaved off about .7 secs off his 0-60 on his FX with just NA mods! not bad at all. The FX must have been a tad restrictive to begin with. I highly doubt we could shave off more than .2 or .3 secs off our 0-60 on our G37s with NA mods...Unless we work with the cams and get into engine rebuilding territory which begins getting almost as pricey if not more than Forced Induction anyway....

WireboltMan it sounds like you know a lot about NA mods. I want to do some very reliable NA mods that dont take away from the smoothness and reliability of the car and also keep it sounding enhanced - not like a POS. I want to use top notch parts and expert/seamless installations....

What do you think are the basic NA mods I and anyone else on the same boat should eventually do to the G37 so that it still sounds classy and installs without creating problems and gets some solid power throughout the RPM bandwidth....My goal is to gain a solid 15-20 WHP and shave off about .2 - .3 secs from my 0-60. I want a 5.0 second 0-60 car while keeping it NA. Is that realistic?

Also I want my mods to make my cars sound louder in a classy and sporty way. e.g. an intake that u can hear the whoosh of air sucking in with a nice refined and not too throaty like a 4 banger short ram...and an exhaust with a deep refined rumble that sounds more classy than ghetto. i dont like the super loud mustang/camaro type exhausts. I just want to enhance the existing exhaust note....also would u recommend changing out the headers as well? And what else can you do that doesnt mess with the car other than I/H/E? and still keep things somewhat budget and NA?

The Fujita is too early an edition to invest in. I have heard of some of them even causing problems. I would rather wait until Nismo, Injen, JimWolfTech and other reputed brands improve upon it and make a more solid build....

Any thoughts guys on what NA mods to go for??
First off, let me say---I'm no mechanic.
Every mod I have on the FX was carefully researched by me and then bounced off one of the technical people on our forum. Brnjug would his screen name. He may well be a member, here, too.

There were many that said 2.5" pipe all the way through was too big for the 3.5 engine. The true dual system along with the Stillen CAI knocked of about .2-.3 seconds. The combination of lowering, the +2 timing (still within factory specs for the 3.5) and the plenum spacer pushed me down below the 7 second barrier. (I had my exhaust system bent up at a local shop with me there helping to decide how it was to be done. Total cost: $425.00)
I was one of the first and only ones to do it this way. Most that have a dual system plunked out $1,200-$1,300 for a factory system. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned. I have complete pictures at the FX forum of my exhaust system if anybody's interested.

It's all the little things that add up when you tackle modifying a NA engine. My friend, Brnjug, drives a FX45. He knocked of about 8lbs per corner with lighter wheels, for an example. He's kept up with M3's with all the stuff he's done.

As far the G37-------once again, that's why I'm here. To read and learn what's going to work and what doesn't. It's certainly not something I jumped into feet first with the FX without extensive reading and the same will hold true when I get myself the G37.

I intend to explore a true dual system first.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:25 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^agreed. I think this is soo true about researching and reading... The poeple who have the fast 37s are going to be the ones who put the right combo of parts and has it tuned.
In the G community (since this is my 1st) what type of piggy back on the ECU is widely used? or is it some of type of ECU tune? (besides TechnoSQre)

I really think having patience will help you out in making sure what your getting something that actually works...
I remember with my 02 maxima, a Y-pipe came out from one company and everyone jumped the gun and bought them...(since the 95-01 max gained 10 hp or more from them) by the time someone dynoed them... it showed a loss in power...8 months or so later another company came out with one that yeilded about 5-7 hp gain. I say all that to say this... Sometimes it pays to wait....
and then sometimes you just wanna be the first with a certain mod...lol been on both sides before...
Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
JWT has been shipping for a few weeks now. Just talked to Leon at everythingg35 he says they will have the Dual Intakes within two weeks. Price ~$395
Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any pics? or dynos? on the JWT?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
DetroitG37Joe

That's so weird do you guys have a special hook up? Because I just called Jim Wolf Tech and Ben over there said they are still working on the G37 Intake and to check back every few weeks or so to see if the intake is complete...

Hmm...I have already cancelled the Fujita intake since gains seem to be trivial - some people say heat soak could be a problem and some were having problems just idling.....

Stillen's looks quality, heard it sounds awesome, and has heat shields to prevent heat soak - however I haven't actually heard it or seen dynoes of it yet. Also since I have a 6MT - the fact that I have to relocate a relay box seems kind of annoying ehhh we'll see....

With Jim Wolf Tech - Ben over there already said that they are developing it so that the relay box on 6MT's DO NOT need to be relocated...which is cool. At this point it's between Stillen & JWT for me. I will probably wait for Nismo and a few others to develop as well and pick the best.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
just wait another month for the Injen...

Quick Reply: Excited to start thinking about NA Mods...Let's talk NA mods!!!