General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Need help/advise for the AC problem

Old 06-03-2019, 01:32 PM
mdanish4
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need help/advise for the AC problem

Hello guys, long time no see??

Ok, here is my problem. lately I was noticing that my A/C was not blowing cold air as much as it used to but it was not that bad, but gradually it was getting bad so I thought it could be the refrigerant.. before I went to get the refrigerant to recharge the system, my AC just gave up on me on IDLE.. It was cooling on highways but on IDLE it started blowing warm air. I got the refrigerant can and when I plugged in on low pressure line, the gouge was showing as the refrigerant was good. Anyway I did not refill the refrigerant. I have checked my compressor, clutch kicks in and out automatically as it should. My condenser looks good, both of my fans are working properly. I have no clue what else to look for? Is it compressor? Remember cool air starts when i am on highway with high RPM.. Please advise.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:30 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Take it to a professional. Let them diagnose it.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:51 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
does your electric fan come on when idling?

It's possible the condensor is not getting cold enough until you're at freeway speed.

At idle, the electric fan should be keeping things cool.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
+1 for the fans. In my case both of my fans were barely running on LOW speed and never went up to HIGH speed. They should be running at high speed when the AC is on. My symptoms: AC only cooled down while at highway speed. Stop at a red light- no AC and coolant gauge went high. Replaced whole fan assembly with a set from a 370z off eBay and problem solved. By virtue of the fact that your AC works at highway speeds tells me your AC system is fine.

Also, you can run the IPDM/er self test which will test the fan motors (HI/LO) speeds:

The following users liked this post:
mdanish4 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 02:14 PM
mdanish4
Registered Member

Originally Posted by teahead
does your electric fan come on when idling?

It's possible the condensor is not getting cold enough until you're at freeway speed.

At idle, the electric fan should be keeping things cool.
Fan works at idle.

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
+1 for the fans. In my case both of my fans were barely running on LOW speed and never went up to HIGH speed. They should be running at high speed when the AC is on. My symptoms: AC only cooled down while at highway speed. Stop at a red light- no AC and coolant gauge went high. Replaced whole fan assembly with a set from a 370z off eBay and problem solved. By virtue of the fact that your AC works at highway speeds tells me your AC system is fine.

Also, you can run the IPDM/er self test which will test the fan motors (HI/LO) speeds:
Ok, this is getting weird. I ran the test and apparently fan are good as well as the compressor clutch.

My coolant gauge never goes to high. Also, i have noticed at night time my ac works better than day time. It doesnt work at the idlt though but while driving at any speeds it starts blowing cold air. I dont know what else to look. I dont know how to verify if the compressor is bad?

Do you know may be i have extra coolant? Ugghh. They want $900 to replace the compressor..
Old 06-04-2019, 02:29 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Is the HVAC fan working?
Old 06-04-2019, 02:31 PM
mdanish4
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Is the HVAC fan working?
Yes both fans working properly.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:36 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

So, the radiator fan and the dash fans all work. The better performance at night tells me you're low on refrigerant or the a/c condenser is plugged either internally or the fins are packed with debris.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:47 PM
mdanish4
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
So, the radiator fan and the dash fans all work. The better performance at night tells me you're low on refrigerant or the a/c condenser is plugged either internally or the fins are packed with debris.
I think it has to do with my condenser because the other day i had my car turned in and AC at full and it was not blowing cold air.. as soon as i started throwing water through my garden hose toward the radistor/condenser, it started blowing cold air.. i dont know of this could be because of the low refrigerant?