General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Is it safe to switch from Mobil 1 to Nissan Ester and vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 AM
njchen24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to switch from Mobil 1 to Nissan Ester and vice versa?

Greetings:

I just went for an oil change at 800 miles on my finance 09 G37x. The dealer service rep told me that they use regular oil, so I have requested to use Mobil 1 Synthetic instead. I just find out from the User's manual that Infinity recommend using Nissan Ester Oil.
Since the oil change, I have the impression that the engine noise seems to be louder and the shifting seems to be more noticeable.
After reading many controversial post about this Ester oil, some says it's Nissan scam to use their oil (regular oil with ester additive), other says it's not worth it, some vouch for it.
I am planning of switching to Nissan ester oil at 1200 miles record the engine noise and its behavior, back to Mobil 1 at 3750 record the engine noise and its behavior and finally back to Ester oil at 7500 if my above impression is confirmed. Is it safe to do this at least for three oil change interval or should I just go ahead change to Ester and stick with it for the entire life of the car?

Your comment and input is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as the oil has the API Certification Mark you're fine regardless of which brand of oil, synthetic or dino.

The reason Nissan recommends their Ester Oil is due to the additional carbon additive that it contains which provides properties they claim will reduce the VVEL lifter noise, but is not required and not using it will not adversely affect the engine.

Some here will say it's a scam to sell expensive proprietary oil, but I believe after reading their technical info on the Nissan USA website that this additive complements the diamond-like coating on the engine parts. Their claim is that this additive reduces friction and improves fuel efficiency (as well as reducing lifter noise).
Old 06-26-2009, 04:23 PM
w0ady

nissan ester isnt anything special. its not even a true ester oil, just has ester additives.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:40 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by w0ady
nissan ester isnt anything special. its not even a true ester oil, just has ester additives.
Yes, it's not a true Ester synthetic oil, but it's not the ester component that differentiates it. It's the carbon additive as I noted. So it is special in that respect.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
Yes, it's not a true Ester synthetic oil, but it's not the ester component that differentiates it. It's the carbon additive as I noted. So it is special in that respect.
There is no "carbon additive". The carbon you refer to is the coating on the lifters. The ester additive makes the oil more slick.

W0ady is correct, the oil isn't really something special.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:49 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike
There is no "carbon additive". The carbon you refer to is the coating on the lifters. The ester additive makes the oil more slick.

W0ady is correct, the oil isn't really something special.
Sorry - you're mixing up your terms. The metal contains a diamond like coating (DLC) bonded to the substrate which gives the components an extremely smooth surface with low friction. From Nissan: "Use of an oil additive developed for DLC applications creates a more durable ultra-low friction lubricating film. The resulting reduction in cam lifter friction significantly boosts fuel efficiency." This is from this from their document library (note 6M file) http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCU...02_X-1a-05.pdf

Also, their patents for their oil makes reference to a carbon additive for this purpose.

If you don't believe their technical papers then fine, but don't just make stuff up. Their oil does contain an additive as noted to create the "ultra low friction lubricating film" (i.e. oil) between the cam metal and the DLC on the valve lifter surface. Will normal oil work? Yes it will. Is Nissan Ester Oil required? No it's not.

Nothing new in this thread that hasn't been posted many times. If people don't want to pay for the expensive Nissan oil (or don't have a maintenance plan) then I see them trying to justify not doing so by claiming there's "nothing different" in this oil. The patents say otherwise, but again it's not required.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:16 AM
njchen24

Thank you for your input and advice.

I've called two Infinity dealers and the answer is the same. Both dealer use regular oil. Per the tech and service manager, the ester oil is recommended only if the engine has some knocking or tapping noise usually coming from the passenger side.

I will try some ester in my next oil change at 1200 miles and see if there is any difference in engine noise level.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
Sorry - you're mixing up your terms. The metal contains a diamond like coating (DLC) bonded to the substrate which gives the components an extremely smooth surface with low friction. From Nissan: "Use of an oil additive developed for DLC applications creates a more durable ultra-low friction lubricating film. The resulting reduction in cam lifter friction significantly boosts fuel efficiency." This is from this from their document library (note 6M file) http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCU...02_X-1a-05.pdf

Also, their patents for their oil makes reference to a carbon additive for this purpose.

If you don't believe their technical papers then fine, but don't just make stuff up. Their oil does contain an additive as noted to create the "ultra low friction lubricating film" (i.e. oil) between the cam metal and the DLC on the valve lifter surface. Will normal oil work? Yes it will. Is Nissan Ester Oil required? No it's not.

Nothing new in this thread that hasn't been posted many times. If people don't want to pay for the expensive Nissan oil (or don't have a maintenance plan) then I see them trying to justify not doing so by claiming there's "nothing different" in this oil. The patents say otherwise, but again it's not required.
I suggest you read the patent application.

https://data.epo.org/publication-ser...=1980609&ki=A1

[0009] Though discussed in detail after, nanoparticle of metal oxide and metal carbide is high in surface energy and
therefore tends to readily adsorb an additive having hydroxyl group. Additionally, nanoparticle whose main component
element is carbon basically does not contain hydrogen within the particle, and therefore the nanoparticle tends to readily
adsorb the additive having hydroxyl group under the action of free dangling bond of the nanoparticle.
There are two additives in the Nissan Ester Oil. Esters, and nanoparticles, as outlined by the patent.

The nanoparticles, as I quoted, are metal oxides, and metal carbides.

Where is this "carbon additive" you speak of?

Also, more specifically, they do NOT have any patents on the oil. All claims were denied.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:46 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

As per the patent referenced in your post:
  • [0011] According to the present invention, the additive having hydroxyl group and nanoparticle are added to a base oil, and therefore it is possible to provide a nanoparticle-containing lubricating oil composition which allows to exhibit a low friction coefficient and realizes a further fuel economy.
  • [0007]
    In other words, the nanoparticle-containing lubricating oil composition of the present invention comprises a base oil, an additive containing hydroxyl group, and nanoparticle.
  • [0009]
    Though discussed in detail after, nanoparticle of metal oxide and metal carbide is high in surface energy and therefore tends to readily adsorb an additive having hydroxyl group. Additionally, nanoparticle whose main component element is carbon basically does not contain hydrogen within the particle, and therefore the nanoparticle tends to readily adsorb the additive having hydroxyl group under the action of free dangling bond of the nanoparticle.

I'm not going to continue debating this. As I initially posted their design consists of DLC bonded to the valve lifter surfaces and the above additive that is more than just ester. I've read the same info and I'll just say I understand it very well. Perhaps their patents were denied - so let's call them patent applications. So what.

Again, is it recommended? Yes. Is it required? No.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:27 PM
todd92

The patents were denied because the oil doesn't do anything that regular oil doesn't do...I hate to burst your bubble, but nothing new has appeared on the oil scene since synthetics were brought to the mainstream 50 years ago.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:17 PM
DashKid
Banned

Yes you can change back to mobil one it and long as you take car of your engine it won't have a problem.

Also, you don't have to get ester oil because it is not required to get it.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:58 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I'd rather stick to Nissan's Oil, this way if something goes wrong they won't tell me it had to do with me not using their "recommended" oil
Old 06-28-2009, 12:45 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
But if your dealership uses conventional oil (mine uses Pennzoil) for oil changes at service, then how could Infiniti refuse warranty coverage since the DEALER used conventional oil? They couldn't. The Ester Oil is only "recommended" if you have the VVEL ticking noise if ECU reflash doesn't resolve it (as memory serves).

You can use 5 qts of Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30 for $1.50/qt from Walmart and still have just as much warranty coverage as opposed to $12/qt "Nissan Ester oil". Sorry, I'll keep that extra cash for beer!

$7.50 for oil versus $60 seems like a no-brainer to me. Just my $.02.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:58 PM
w0ady

i pay like $90 for my motul 300v.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by w0ady
i pay like $90 for my motul 300v.
There's nothing wrong with that man! You use that oil because you have the right application.....you TRACK your car a lot! If I took my car to the track or Autocross on a regular basis, that's the EXACT oil I would use too.

Quick Reply: Is it safe to switch from Mobil 1 to Nissan Ester and vice versa?