General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

[Help!] G37x Clicking Sound

Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 PM
wowow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Help!] G37x Clicking Sound

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with a weird clicking sound in my 2009 G37x coupe and need help identifying the source. It's a deep clicking sound that occurs with swaying of the car, doesn't have to be as big as a street bump but even going over small uneven pavement. Sounds like it's coming from near the back seat/axle area and feels louder with windows up than down.

I had a mechanic take a look who says it could be the rusted heat shields, but the sound doesn't get worse with high RPM and the doesn't sound like the examples I found online. He also didn't find anything wrong with the suspension or brakes.

Please see links below:

Heat shields:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19c...DJsWLjbZLvp83e

Audio:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ik...FWab6bgjmo-XlC

(this is driving inside a garage, I accelerate and then there's the distinct clicking sound if volumes up)

Anyone know what's going on? Much appreciated!
Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
You and/or the mechanic would know if it is the heatshields....... You would just put your hand or whatever cause its HOT on the rusted heatshield and the noise would stop...???? I have a 2011x from newengland so pretty much all my heat shields have rusted out. I fixed With a big hose clamp worked like a charm. Boy was that an anooying noise!!! the sound wont necessary change with RPM mine was the worst at idle.... but very easy to diagnose if your mechanic told you it was your heat shields its probably your heat shields if not get a new mechanic!