General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

BCM Sleep and battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Genhero
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
BCM Sleep and battery drain

When I bought the car it had a dead battery; not a big deal it was in an accident and the washer reservoir got knocked off so the wires were shorting out. I taped the wires for now but when I check with my multimeter it shows 700ma, how long does it take for the BCM to go to sleep to get a correct reading? When I did a search the only thing I could find is someone saying 45 minutes but that seemed kind of long. My 335i takes about 15 minutes and my lancer is within 30 seconds -- 45 minutes just seemed a bit odd.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts
Broken and shorted wires should have popped fuses so check through those.

What exactly are you checking with your multimeter?

The BCM's "battery saver" function is meant to shut off any room lamp or exterior lights left on by mistake. It may only be tied to lighting because everything else should be powered down within 30 seconds of shutdown (elec. windows have a slight delay).

BCM factory default is "on" (save the battery) but it can be programmed to "off" (kill the battery). There is also a room lamp timer circuit which can be set to 15, 30 or 60 minutes.

Factory Service Manuals are here:
Infiniti G35 / G37 Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub
Choose your year and model and dig in!
Old 02-12-2018, 04:26 PM
Genhero
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
They should have, but unfortunately they were just slowly kill my battery. With the multimeter, I was checking for parasitic drain on the battery. It was showing that while off it was using 700mA which is too high (usually under 100mA is normal).

I found and taped up the washer reservoir pump and level sensor wire that were ripped in half and touch near the radiator support and the fuses were still good and when I went to replace the driver side seat belt I found that when the seat belt's charge went off it shattered the side of the seat belt housing off and cut some wires in half also. I taped up those wires for now and it dropped to 200mA. After 20 minutes it looks like the car went to sleep and it finally went below 100 mA. I should be good now. I ordered the connectors I needed last friday and will be soldering them this weekend.

The factory manuals are great! I keep all 3 of my cars' manuals in my garage.

Last edited by Genhero; 02-13-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Roblom
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Genhero
... when I went to replace the driver side seat belt I found that when the seat belt's charge went off it shattered the side of the seat belt housing off and cut some wires in half also. I taped up those wires for now and it dropped to 200mA.
as I also have battery drain I'm interested in a picture of the cut wires of the seat belt housing. Is this the part where you lock and unlock the seatbelt in and which is fixed to the seat?
As I use a voltage logger I can see that sometimes the car didn't went in sleep mode (recognized by a dimple in the voltage graph). I have a consult III but can't find any problems. I can't also figure out a pattern so in kinda lost here.