General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Exide Battery Home Depot Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:31 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Exide Battery Home Depot Experience

Figure this could use its own thread so other can comment on their experiences.

Back in 10/2015 bought a 24fx battery for the G. Chose home depot in part because they're practically everywhere and warranty claims >should< be easily. Battery includes a 40 month exchange warranty.

The car doesn't get driven much, but any time it does, trips are generally at least 30 min or longer. No issues during the summer, even after sitting for 2-3 weeks. Few days ago, car failed to start after sitting for ~10 days. Temps were very cold (single digits F) during this period. Engine fired up immediately after a jump. After 90 min of highway driving, voltage was low (~12.5V). Left it on a battery tender for the next 4 days. Voltage was around 12V but failed to start again.

Here's where it gets interesting. Apparently no one at home depot knows what the exchange policy is or how to process. I spoke with a mgr over the weekend who said just bring it in and we'll exchange but couldn't get into the store until this morning to do the swap. Of course she was not there this morning.

First customer service rep was adamant nothing could be done because it's over 90 days. Front line manager didn't know either but was too busy to care and just said to exchange it. They swapped it out without further hassle. Interestingly, no paperwork was provided. They said to just hold on to the original receipt.

This left me curious. Called exide (1800 startit). Their customer service said the process is very simple, you bring in the bad battery, store exchanges it and you're on your way. There is internal paperwork the store has to do with exide, but that has nothing to do with the customer.

Warranty on replacement is remaining duration of original warranty based either on date code or purchase date on receipt. Further, if any issues at the store level are encountered, call exide customer care from the store and the exide rep will explain to the store rep how the exchange process works.

Tl;dr hold on to your original receipt, if store gives hassle, call exide to have exchange policy explained.

It's uncertain if lack of regular driving led to the battery's failure or if it was just a questionable battery to begin with and the really cold temps did it in. For others using this battery, what are you experiences? Please state location too.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:32 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo

It's uncertain if lack of regular driving led to the battery's failure or if it was just a questionable battery to begin with and the really cold temps did it in. For others using this battery, what are you experiences? Please state location too.
On my previous 06 G35 I priced battery's and found that the dealer price was close to independent shops.
I had the dealer replace my battery with a 700 cca Interstate battery while there for an oil change and everything worked when I drove out.

On my current 2012 G37S I had the dealer replace my battery with another Interstate battery last October when upon checking the individual cells I discovered one cell would not come up to a full charge.
Here in NJ it was 2 below zero the other morning and my G37 started right up.
You didn't mention what the battery rating was on the Home Depot battery but I would suspect that cheap lead acid batteries usually have a low cca rating.

As I have gotten older there is a hassle factor that I do not care to experience. I used to change my own oil on my 06 G35 but no longer do so on my current 2012 G37S
The only thing I do now is replace the Air and cabin filters.

Perhaps you enjoy hassles in cold weather?

Telcoman
Old 01-08-2018, 06:40 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exide-Ex...24FX/204852594

CCA = 800 (@0F), 960@32F, 120 min reserve capacity (@25A)

The specs are impressive indeed, exceeding your interstate battery. These numbers really don't mean a whole lot though. Even a 600 CCA battery at full charge should be sufficient to start the car, esp since I run synthetic oil (5w30). I think the combination of sitting for periods at a time and the extreme cold is what did it in.

Note, changing the cabin air filter on this car is a hassle. It easier to change the battery than the cabin air filter. Pop out 5 plastic rivets, undo the hold down and battery terminals (10mm), done.
The following users liked this post:
KungFooFireman (11-21-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 05:46 PM
SeanB0713

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experiences

I was searching the web for a replacement battery in my ‘12 G37x and and came across your post 3 years ago about the Exide from Home Depot and given the specs and price it was a no brainer. Just purchased it today, Took a lot to get the stock battery out and the Exide In but after starting it up I’m certain it is a great battery for the car being the one I had went bad and the Quickness of the startup with the exide is unmatched. I live in Connecticut where we get the best of all four seasons and I drive my car daily so I will definitely periodically check in if any issues shall occur !
Old 11-11-2018, 11:35 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Thanks Jsolo. Just bought one. Can't beat $99
Old 11-19-2018, 06:15 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

The specs are impressive indeed, exceeding your interstate battery. These numbers really don't mean a whole lot though. Even a 600 CCA battery at full charge should be sufficient to start the car, esp since I run synthetic oil (5w30). I think the combination of sitting for periods at a time and the extreme cold is what did it in.

thanks, great find! better specs than most batteries i've seen for the G, and at almost 1/2 the price.

bookmarked for when i need one ... mine is 5 years old at this point.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
thanks, great find! better specs than most batteries i've seen for the G, and at almost 1/2 the price.

bookmarked for when i need one ... mine is 5 years old at this point.
5 years old? You need one. I just bought on last week.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
5 years old? You need one. I just bought on last week.
my last car's battery was 8 years old when i sold it - same for my wife's car.
i regularly put them on a Battery Tender to keep them topped up. i have a jumpack in the trunk, so i'll replace it if it dies.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:51 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Thanks Jsolo. Just bought one. Can't beat $99
Add me to the list of Exide battery guys. Fit perfectly and no hassle putting it in. It got in the 20's here last week and my car was hard to start one morning so I decided it was time to replace the battery. Got my $12 core charge back too.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:00 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Thumbs up

Note, changing the cabin air filter on this car is a hassle. It easier to change the battery than the cabin air filter. Pop out 5 plastic rivets, undo the hold down and battery terminals (10mm), done.

I got a new Exide battery back in 2018 - after a few weeks my G parked in my garage, I figure I need to at least start the engine this morning......nope, battery completely dead.
Removed the battery, took it to HD, returned it (full refund) and got another Exide with a 3 year replacement

Thanks Jsolo
The following users liked this post:
Travon (01-10-2021)